Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q1Q2) - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Closed Thread

Old January 7th, 2004, 01:19 PM   #31
Sponsor: JET DV

The undersample rate box allows you to simulate a lower frame rate. For example, an undersample rate of 0.5 plays the event at half its original frame rate. Each frame plays twice as long as in the origianl media file, creating a strobe effect.
Old January 7th, 2004, 01:50 PM   #32
New Boot

Canada can no longer get Vegas...

Well this is disappointing... According to a few shops I have talked to, Sony has apparently severed all ties with its Canadian Distributor for Sonic Foundry products and has gone so far as to not allow American distributors to ship Vegas product to Canada.

Anyone know what's up with that? I thought that Vegas 4.0 was going to be my NLE of choice but I guess I may have to look at alternatives now...

Cheers;
Eric
Ottawa, Canada
Old January 7th, 2004, 02:30 PM   #33

First of all, Canadians can definitely still purchase Vegas. However, I do understand that the distribution has been changed somewhat. I know the distribution channel prices have gone up (actually they simply get less of a discount).

There are still many mail-order places that carry the product if you don't want to purchase directly from Sony. For example, Videoguys still carries the product (at a slightly higher price than last month) and I'm sure they will ship to Canada.
Old January 7th, 2004, 04:19 PM   #34
New Boot

Hi Edward;

Good point... I guess that's true that any stock in the channel can be shipped, so individuals willing to order through someone in the states can still get it. I should be OK then in that respect .

The point though is that Canadian resellers can no longer carry the product as distribution to Canada has been halted (regardless of the price increases, etc). Hopefully this is just temporary as I gather its excellent software...

This could also be incorrect as I am relating what was told to me from a few stores where I attempted to buy...

Cheers;
Eric
Old January 7th, 2004, 04:32 PM   #35
Major Player

If this is true, why would Sony do such a thing?
Old January 7th, 2004, 08:51 PM   #36
New Boot

I don't know... but the folks I talked that own video software stores were quite upset. Perhaps Sony was unsatisfied with the distributors they had in Canada and are simply in a transition to replace them. I certainly hope its not a permanent thing.

Eric
Old January 8th, 2004, 09:45 AM   #37
Regular Crew

Thanks, Ed, for bringing this thread to my attention. I checked with our head of marketing, and he had this to say:

"Well, what a coincidence. The execs from Sony Canada are actually in the office this week finalizing the distribution plans for the entire country. Sony works distribution country by country, and we're about to finalize things north of the border very soon. I the meantime, there's always the web store."

I met a bunch of folks from Sony Canada in the lobby this morning myself :)

Cheers,

///d@
Old January 8th, 2004, 10:05 AM   #38
New Boot

Excellent news... and thanks for posting this infortmation. I sincerely look forward to purchasing Vegas!

Cheers;
Eric
Old January 8th, 2004, 01:35 PM   #39
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

i use a Vegas filter pack that makes the clips look like they are animation drawings ... at 30fps it looks odd because the motion is real but the images more animation so i set under sample to .20 and it/s 6fps , .27 / 8fps ..

for other clip just i want to throw them off slight in the 18-22fps area ....

also for a nice effects ( if subject has motion or camera zooms in/out ) set to 6-8fps then add motion blur in the video bus track ..
Old January 8th, 2004, 01:47 PM   #40
Regular Crew

How do you play video in reverse?

??? Just wondering how... I didn't see a easy was when I was looking at vegas.

-Kay

http://www.curtkay.com
I WILL not be held down.
Old January 8th, 2004, 01:54 PM   #41
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

hit the J key for reverse ..hit it again and it will go faster in reverse - keep hitting for faster .. for forward hit the L key ..

for slo mo reverse hold the K key down then hit the J key- to speed up just keep hitting J key ..

for forward slo mo hold K key then hit L .. faster keep hitting L key
Old January 8th, 2004, 02:01 PM   #42
Regular Crew

Do you mean reverse motion for a final output? If then, click on the event and then the Insert menu and insert a video velocity envelope. Drag the envelope down to a velocity of -100. That will give you a normal speed clip played backward. If you need to adjust the speed of that clip more, render it out and bring it back into Vegas and insert another velocity envelope.

"I like Mankato just a little bit better than any other town in the world." -Sinclair Lewis
Old January 8th, 2004, 02:21 PM   #43

You use a velocity envelope and the "key" is to START AT THE END. In other words, find the end of the clip (i.e. beginning of the REVERSED clip) and apply the velocity envelope at a negative percentage at that point.

To make things even simpler, use the "Reverse Clip" option in Excalibur 2.
Old January 8th, 2004, 07:31 PM   #44
Regular Crew

what is the plug in you use to make clips look like animation?

Michael Estepp
Old January 9th, 2004, 12:52 PM   #45
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

filter pack .. color curves, levels, convolution kernel, invert, brightness contrast, min max

to see samples 1/2 way down page

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/don...+vegas&.src=ph

Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...