Does Vegas Play Nice With After Effects? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 15th, 2003, 11:06 PM   #1
Trustee

Does Vegas Play Nice With After Effects?

I know Vegas always cuts out my Winamp when
Vegas comes up.
Anyone here using Vegas and AE together?
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2003, 06:19 AM   #2
Inner Circle

no need, vegas does pretty much everythign AE does... if not more... (and nicer too :) )
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2003, 06:21 AM   #3
Inner Circle

forgoot to mention, vegas overtakes your audio driver, so it depends on your config as to how and what is playable while vegas is running...

for eg, i cant run Logic Audio or Cubase with ASIO drivers as Vegas is already using the drivers.. BUT i can run 2 instances of vegas both with ASIO drivers... this can be an issue when syncing he rest of the studio to the video im working on... so i run virtual midi ports to work around that...

long and involved, and prolly not what you were lookin for...
sorry
Old December 17th, 2003, 08:20 AM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

Actually, Vegas is VERY program friendly. When it is the active application, it will take the resources it needs. When it is the inactive application, it will release those resources. Some other programs are not that friendly.

Many people are using AE and Vegas together. The generally accepted method is to render the section you need in AE to UNCOMPRESSED AVI, work on it in AE, render back to uncompressed AVI, and import that back into Vegas.

As an alternative, Boris Red is now integrated with Vegas and can be accessed directly from the Vegas timeline.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2003, 08:48 AM   #5
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Peter Jefferson : no need, vegas does pretty much everythign AE does... if not more... (and nicer too :) ) -->>>

While Vegas does alot, it doesn't by any means do "pretty much everything AE does." There is no real method of manipulating 3D objects and layers in Vegas, as well as other limitations. While I do use Vegas for 90% of what most people use AE for, it doesn't do it all.
Joe Sacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2003, 12:00 PM   #6
Trustee

Edward, I didn't quite catch you there on the workflow.
If you render to uncompressed AVI with Vegas, then work on the section in AE as uncompressed, why would you have to "render back to uncompressed AVI" if it's already in that form in AE?
And what is the advantage to working on it
uncompressed in AE versus compressed?
Old December 17th, 2003, 01:07 PM   #7

You would render the changes made in AE back to an uncompressed AVI for importing back into Vegas.

There are some known problems when AE tries to read a Vegas DV-AVI file or Vegas tries to read an AE DV-AVI file. If you use uncompressed to go each way, the problems are eliminated. So, this is the "safe" known workflow.

If you don't want to create TWO uncompressed files, you could frameserve from Vegas to AE.
Old December 17th, 2003, 01:46 PM   #8
Trustee

So, the whole time you're in AE, you're working with
a section that had been uncompressed in Vegas. So you are working in AE with only uncompressed
files. You make your changes in AE, then render
those changes as uncompressed to be sent
back to Vegas. Right?
Old December 17th, 2003, 01:53 PM   #9

Yes
Old December 17th, 2003, 04:54 PM   #10
Major Player

Is AE a stand alone program?
Old December 17th, 2003, 11:11 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Yes :)

as for comparing, well, im only referring to compositing, filters and lighting effects.

but now with boris 3gl (be it a lil expensive) we can do all this 3d stuff as well
Old December 17th, 2003, 11:28 PM   #12

In addition, by using Boris Red, you can also use many of the AE plug-ins as well providing you with even MORE tools. That, and the render savings, may very well be worth the difference in price.
Old December 18th, 2003, 06:09 AM   #13
Inner Circle

im still waiting for someone to write up a spiel about these 2 beasts working hand in hand...

i wont pay over a grand for a SW package and find out that it doesnt work to my flow, but from the demo ive used, it seems to be ok for my style of working...
anyone know where i can find info on the integration of thee 2>?? Im only using boris as a standalone... :(
Old December 18th, 2003, 08:11 AM   #14

I'm working on some things for the next newsletter.
Old December 18th, 2003, 10:48 AM   #15
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Edward Troxel : In addition, by using Boris Red, you can also use many of the AE plug-ins as well providing you with even MORE tools. That, and the render savings, may very well be worth the difference in price. -->>>

The problem with my difference in price is that I already have AE, but not Boris. In that situation, the price difference is starting with $0 on one side. :(
Joe Sacher is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...