Film dissolves at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 28th, 2003, 08:36 AM   #1
Trustee

Film dissolves

Hi, Dunno whether this would belong more in the Vegas forum or here, but since it's film look related I'll blurt it out anyway.

Anyone here know how to recreate a film style dissolve/crossfade within Vegas? That is as opposed to spending almost $200 for something to do this in AE.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2003, 11:28 AM   #2
RED Problem Solver

I don't know vegas, but perhaps you can do it with a "levels" control.

Overlap the two clips on different tracks, apply blend mode "add" to top clip. Put a levels filter on both clips, and animate the input white from 0 to 255 and the input white on the other clip from 255 to 0.

By animating both black and white inputs and outputs, you can create all kinds of film dissolves.

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2003, 12:14 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks

I just had a go with the levels. It did come pretty close. Only trouble is that it does require the keyframing, and it is harder to get the transition to ease in and out (normal Vegas transitions allow you to select how the fades ease in and out). Also, to avoid having to re-render the entire clip on the "add" track I have to split the clip at the point where the transition starts. Also I had to use the "output end" settings rather than the input otherwise it just bloomed into a screen of pure white.

It's a good work around but I wish I knew Vegas enough to write a specific transition or script (I've only just moved over to this software).
Old December 28th, 2003, 03:47 PM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

I don't understand exactly the "look" you are trying to achieve. Can you show an example?

As for dissolving on luminence, you might want to try SDMoore's Luminence transition. http://www.endor.demon.co.uk/

For the ultimate in transitions, you might want to look at the Pixelan transitions. http://www.pixelan.com/sm2vegas/intro.htm
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2003, 04:00 PM   #5
Trustee

A normal crossfade in a NLE just changes the transparency of the clips it is fading between. However a transition that resmbles an optical transition as it is used traditionally in films work by the luminosity of the clips. For example the whites of the clip you are dissolving to are visible well in advance of any other tone. When a NLE normally does a crossfade/dissolve all tonal ranges fade in at the same time.

There is a subtle difference but it is there. Further, for a more film like transition the easing in and out of the dissolve should be adjusted as well.

I find it to be a far more pleasing transition to look at than the usual transparency dissolve.
Old December 28th, 2003, 05:39 PM   #6

I would definitely check out Pixelan at the link I listed. I believe they have a trial version you could check.
Old December 28th, 2003, 06:00 PM   #7
Trustee

Naah. Even if they did have it it's a lot to pay for one transition. Vegas can have transitions written for it. I just wish I knew how to use their transition and plugin writer kit.

The crossfade/dissolve is the only transition I ever use, other than a flash fade for trailers perhaps.
Old December 28th, 2003, 09:11 PM   #8

Maybe you could contact SDMoore and see if he could modify the Luminance transition to meet your needs.
Old December 30th, 2003, 06:40 PM   #9
Trustee

I could, but does anyone have an email address? There doesn't seem to be one on his site.
Old December 30th, 2003, 08:17 PM   #10

<<<-- Originally posted by Simon Wyndham : I could, but does anyone have an email address? There doesn't seem to be one on his site. -->>>

Here's a quote from one of his posts:

My email address is in the about box on the plugin properties.
Old December 30th, 2003, 08:22 PM   #11

If you get in touch with him, keep us informed what you find out.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...