Enable Multicore preview playback?!?! - who knew? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 16th, 2009, 07:06 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Terry,

I knew about prerender, did not realize it traveled with the project and thought it was temporary fromwhat I read!! I will try it on tomarrow, rendering a 20 gig br at this time.
thanks for the further information!! the more I learn of Vegas the more i need to know it seems!!
Old April 17th, 2009, 09:57 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Esslinger View Post
Vegas does have pre render and it IS saved with the project file (.veg). ...I saved the .veg to the desktop, closed Vegas and then reopened the project and the prerender was still present.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Guthormsen View Post
...I knew about prerender, did not realize it traveled with the project and thought it was temporary fromwhat I read!!...
This is not quite right - prerenders are sent to the prerenders directory you designated in project properties, and by default they stay around until you delete them, but they aren't slurped into the veg and don't travel with the project unless you also grab this directory and relink it if you move to another machine.

See page 298 of the vegas 8 manual. By default, these prerenders are saved. There's a pref to clear them when you close the project, and also a menu command to clear them.

But they are a very, very handy tool...
Old April 17th, 2009, 05:45 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Letch View Post
I wonder if this is the reason why we've all had so many problems with rendering using multi-cores, the option is there to use them in the normal preferences, but the registry entry actually has the feature turned off, so theirs some sort of conflict? And this is also the reason why we needed to turn off previews during rendering to help stability as well?
Adam
There is a good work around for your render issues that will allow you to render with all 4 cores without crashing:

Sony Creative Software - Forums - Vegas Pro - Video Messages

It was initially worked out for avchd but works with HDV as well.
Jack Bellford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 10:53 AM   #34
Major Player

So far multi-core preview is working awesome... on clips I used to get 10-12fps on, I get a solid 29.97 and see 80-90% CPU usage (q6600 @ 3.0ghz)

Excited to try Vegas 8.1 out (or 9.0) with 12GB ram and an I7 920... @ 3.6-4.0ghz

But won't find out till I decide to spend some moneh...
Joe Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 04:07 PM   #35
Major Player

I am also experiencing a significant increase in preview performance. I've got a quad core @3ghz w/ 8GB RAM.

Thanks!
Jad Meouchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 02:30 PM   #36
Trustee

Unfortunately I discovered very stuttery playback when I turned this on just now. I have an Athlon 64 X2 CPU with 2GB of RAM, so obviously not a big work horse. This system is just slightly slower than my Core 2 Duo system.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 07:56 AM   #37
Major Player

I also tested the multicore setting!
PAL DV AVI project, with a simple dissolve between two clips and preview via camcorder DV IN with full(best) setting.

With my E2160 processor i get 17-18 fps with the default settingin the middle of the transition, and when enabled multicore, i get 19-20. So a little increase in performance.
But interesting is how much cpu power is needed for this 2 fps increase:
in first case the 2 core is about 60-65%, and in the second, every core is above 90%
http://www.relaxvideo.hu/false.jpg
http://www.relaxvideo.hu/true.jpg

I think this is the reaseon why not enabled by default the multicore preview.
Maybe the code isnt well written for dualcore support (or buggy?).

Somebody have a config that can play back two stream with dissolve in full quality and full fps on camcorder?

Another settings that i have changed, and like it:

video seekscrub: 16ms (i get very quick response when scrubbing like in Virtual dub!)
meter refresh rate 16ms
event selection outline thickness 3 (easier identify which event is selected)

thx for info!

edited: i also tested without camcorder, only preview on pc monitor
i add a color correction and a title at the dissolve, and when disabled multicore i get
11 fps, when enabled, i get 6! Weird!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...