Print to tape??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 12th, 2009, 04:42 AM   #1
Major Player

Print to tape???

I have a project I shot in HDV with my XH-A1. I captured it in Vegas Pro 8, made some minor edits, and now am trying to put it on a mini dv tape in standard definition. I am trying to use the print to tape function, but can only get so far as the rendering step. When I try to do the final print to tape step, the camcorder records a dark screen - which is also what it shows in the one window.

I've never tried to do this before, so I don't know what I am doing wrong. Any ideas?
Stephen Sobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 06:44 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Did you change the camera to DV mode since you're now using DV?
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
Did you change the camera to DV mode since you're now using DV?
Do you mean the camcorder I used to transfer the original project to the computer (if so, no I didn't), or the camcorder I tried to print to (it's an SD camcorder)?
Old August 12th, 2009, 04:36 PM   #4
Major Player

Your SD camcorder will not be able to convert the HDV from Vegas to DV. You would have to render it to DV in VEgas and then transfer it. Or use the HDV camera you shot it with and set the cam to DV so it will down rez it. Although I am not sure that they will downrez in that direction!
Old August 13th, 2009, 07:50 AM   #5

So you're not printing back to the Canon XH-A1? I just assumed since that's what you were capturing from that you would be printing to it as well. If you captured HDV, the camera was obviously in HDV mode. Then you would either need to "Print to HDV tape" or change the camera to DV mode and "Print to DV tape".
Old August 15th, 2009, 09:00 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
So you're not printing back to the Canon XH-A1? I just assumed since that's what you were capturing from that you would be printing to it as well. If you captured HDV, the camera was obviously in HDV mode. Then you would either need to "Print to HDV tape" or change the camera to DV mode and "Print to DV tape".
I tried printing back to my XH-A1, using Print to HDV tape. That doesn't work either!
Old August 15th, 2009, 09:28 AM   #7

When I tried to print to tape using Vegas Pro 8.1, that also did not work for me. So are you using the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Vegas? For the 64-bit version problem, I ended up upgrading to Vegas Pro 9-64bit and it printed to tape just fine.
Old August 15th, 2009, 09:30 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
When I tried to print to tape using Vegas Pro 8.1, that also did not work for me. So are you using the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Vegas? For the 64-bit version problem, I ended up upgrading to Vegas Pro 9-64bit and it printed to tape just fine.
I have Vegas Pro 8.0.
Old August 17th, 2009, 04:51 AM   #9
Trustee

Hi guys , i have the same problem with my hvrm-15.Even if i set on HDV/DV setting the DV mode, it records a black screen. If i connect my Z1 it works, i don't wanna stress the heads of the camcorder.Any ideas?
The deck works pretty well for the capture etc but i have this issue on the "print to tape" and on the preview on external monitor.

Thanks
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 06:18 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Also having the same issue here..it use to work clear no problem..I am going from a SD video to a SD camera..black screen with audio..anyone figure this out yet?
Peter Ferriero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 11:51 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I am using an older version of Vegas w/ XP Pro with SD footage, and was getting no video through FW1394 out.

I just saw a comment in other thread, "click on the External preview button above the preview screen and you should see an image on your Monitor/TV."
Jeff Turkali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 11:59 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Interestinng. I used to print to tape all the time to save my masters. Never had any of these issues. But then, I didn't use a camcorder to master. I wonder if anyone will ever get it solved.
Old August 20th, 2009, 03:44 AM   #13
Trustee

I have to use the z1 nowaday....My nly option!I can't do it with the hvrm-15.WHY?????
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2009, 10:11 AM   #14
Major Player

Does anyone else have any ideas?
Old August 25th, 2009, 08:22 AM   #15
Trustee

Today i tryed 2 different firewire cables....NADA!At the final step it doesn't write on the tape eithr DV or HDV.My only resource is the z1!How come?

[I]'ve noticed on the the transfer to the tape that a few times there are drops on the tape even if the heads are clean.Tryed on 2 differents cams.
IDEAS?
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...