5D + Neoscene + Vegas = CRASHES...Help? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 18th, 2009, 04:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

5D + Neoscene + Vegas = CRASHES...Help?

I am editing my first wedding with my Canon A1's mixed with 5D clips transcoded with Cineform Neoscene. They play perfectly smooth but when I try and render Vegas 8 crashes. Am I missing something? Any ideas?
Anthony Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 05:02 PM   #2
Major Player

Make sure your Vegas 8 uses the Cineform NeoSCENE decoder and not the one that came with Vegas -- which is a very old version. You can rename out the cfhd.dll to chfd.dll-OLD (in the Vegas 8 folder) and restart Vegas to try it out.
Eugenia Loli-Queru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 05:14 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Just tried it. Didn't help but got a different error message.

Application Error
The instruction at 0x7778rce0 reference memory at 0x9b402578. The memory could not be read.
Click OK to terminate the program.
Old August 18th, 2009, 05:17 PM   #4
Major Player

Have you transcoded these files with the latest NeoSCENE version btw? If not, please upgrade your NeoSCENE, and re-encode the MOV files to Cineform AVI (not Cineform MOV). Then replace the old Cineform files with the newly re-encoded ones. Use the NeoSCENE decoder as well to reload the project, not the older Vegas one. See how this is going.
Old August 18th, 2009, 05:21 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I used the demo of neoscene that I downloaded a week or two ago. These are avi files. Thank you for the help...any other ideas?
Old August 18th, 2009, 05:26 PM   #6
Major Player

Do you use the latest Vegas 8 version? 8.0c I believe?

Also, how are you trying to render? If you are trying to export full 1080p with the Sony AVC encoder for example, for a video that's more than a few minutes, you will get crashes. Known bug.

Another thing that might be happening is project file corruption. I had a helluva time with it 2 weeks ago too. The remedy for this is to open a new Vegas window, setup the right project properties on the new project, and then select all the clips in the timeline and copy/paste them in the new one. Then, close down the old project, and render with the new one. This creates a cleaner project file that fails less. Try it.
Old August 18th, 2009, 05:32 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I am trying to render in Vegas template HDV 1080-60i as I always do. Is this the problem?
Is there a problem mixing 1920x 1080 (5D) and 1440 x 1080(A1)?
Old August 18th, 2009, 05:36 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I just noticed that the Field order of the A1 files are none-progressive scan and the 5D are upper field 1st. Is this a problem?
Old August 18th, 2009, 06:18 PM   #9
Major Player

This wouldn't be a problem for the crashing you are experiencing, but it IS a problem for quality. Please do this: http://techblog.cineform.com/?p=1407

However, why are you trying to export in HDV/60i, when your A1 footage is progressive (you said that it was, are you sure?), and your 5D files are also progressive (which will be after you do what's suggested above). Unless you are trying to write back to tape or create a Blu-Ray, you should not try to export interlaced from two progressive sources.
Old August 18th, 2009, 06:41 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I use this method because once I render I can export to HDV tape also bring into DVD Architect and make a Bluray and an Sd dvd.
SO, I have just opened another vegas and copied two out of 4 Video tracks with mixed 5D & A1 clips from the old project and it rendered fine. Now I copied all of the video tracks and audio and so far after 5 minutes 3% it looks good. What the hell is going on?
Old August 18th, 2009, 06:42 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Nevermind...spoke too soon. It's hung up.
Old August 18th, 2009, 06:54 PM   #12
Major Player

As I said earlier: 1. Did you fix the problem with Cineform AVIs as in the URL I gave you, 2. Do you use the latest free version of Vegas 8? If not, please do that. If yes, install the Vegas Pro 9.0a trial version (it will install in parallel, won't overwrite your v8), COPY the project file to another filename, and open it, and try to render it with v9.
Old August 18th, 2009, 07:09 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I just remembered that I shot this wedding in 30F. I did the fix as per the link you sent so everything is now Progressive. Now I am rendering to HDV-720 30 P and it is FLYING !!!. I am at 40% after 4minutes THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mixing A1 shot in 30F and canon 5d Mach II what should I be rendering to for highest quality?

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old August 18th, 2009, 07:12 PM   #14
Major Player

Well, for the uses you want to, meaning tape, none. 1440x1080/60i on a tape at 25mbps mpeg2 ain't gonna do much good to the 1920x1080/30p 40mbps 5D footage in terms of quality. So just export as you see fit every time. If HDV 720/30p works for you, go for it.
Old August 18th, 2009, 07:32 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Would I be better off with one of the bluray presets 1920x1080 60i?
Anthony Martin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...