No external monitor image using dvstorm2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 27th, 2004, 10:41 PM   #1
Major Player

No external monitor image using dvstorm2

I have an external ntsc jvc monitor which takes svhs and composite inputs. I can't seem to get vegas 5 to display on my external monitor through my dvstorm2 card, using the svhs connection. I know that the card and monitor is in working order, so I am not certain what to do next. The video device in preferences is set to video for windows standard (the monitor does not accept firewire directly). I am uncertain where to go from here....Help.

Thanks
Dwight Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2004, 11:31 PM   #2
Wrangler

You can only output a video preview via an OHCI compliant IEEE port. Try connecting your DV camera to the PC and the camera to the TV via it's A/V outs (providing your camera supports video pass-through).
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2004, 12:27 AM   #3
Major Player

Glen, I don't see how that is possible, because I had an MSI tv tuner card installed (no firewire) in my NLE (using vegas), and was able to view an external monitor. I had to remove the card for space reasons but it did work. If my recollection is correct I used the composite/microsoft video option in vegas at that time (since the card did not have a firewire option). I am not certain if the built in tuner is what made the difference or what, but I don't have that option now, and would really prefer to not put the extra strain on my already overused camera. So if there are other options please let me know.

Thanks
Old July 28th, 2004, 12:45 AM   #4
Wrangler

Using a TV out is the same thing as simply porting your CPU screen to a Television. If you use this method your not getting color accuracy. To my knowledge the only way to correctly "monitor" your footage on external monitor accurately is via firewire.

Using microsoft video for the output option runs the output through your video card which is then directly effected by the video LUT (video look up table). In other words if you go and tweak color settings on your video card it will DIRECTLY effect your output. You DON'T want that. The only calibrating you want to be doing to get an accurate account of your footage is on the external monitor itself.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2004, 04:46 AM   #5
Major Player

Ok, then how about a pc to tv adapter advc300 from canopus, or the GXP-2000 from grandtec. If not these then what, if any, stand alone products do you recommend. By the way does it make a difference if the pass-through is a firewire or a usb line. If all else fails I am getting a new jvc dvhs deck which does have firewire.

Thanks
Old July 28th, 2004, 07:22 AM   #6
Sponsor: JET DV

The ADVC300 would work fine. Don't know the other one but if it is a similar device, it should also work fine. Stick with firewire for the external previews (and capture and PTT for that matter as well). Do NOT go USB.

A deck will also work well. I use a deck for this purpose and get great external previews.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2004, 09:37 AM   #7
Major Player

Thank you
Old July 28th, 2004, 03:09 PM   #8
Major Player

By the way Edward, why exactly are you so insistent on not using a usb device for this type of external monitor viewing.

Thanks
Old July 28th, 2004, 03:13 PM   #9
Sponsor: JET DV

USB wants too much CPU time. In fact, I've seen some machines that require USB scanners or printers be unplugged before they will PTT via firewire successfully.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2004, 06:51 AM   #10
Major Player

Problem, I have the JVC DH 30000U deck, and I want to be able to use the firewire port as a pass through so I can use the view external monitor option in Vegas to view video on an extrernal monitor or tv. Thus far I have connected the firewire cable to my computer and to the back of the 30000U deck. I then connected my JVC NSTC monitor to the deck via svideo cable. The screen shows the channel and setup setting for the deck but I can't seem to get it to recognize the firewire signal coming from the computer to the deck. What am I doing wrong. What setting should I be using....HELP.

Thanks
Old July 29th, 2004, 07:21 AM   #11
Rextilleon

Okay---Right above the Preview window of Vegas is an icon that looks like a CRT. Click on that. A dialogue box will open.

Under device make sure that OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394/DV is picked and under Projact format make sure NTSC DV output is selected. Also at the bottom, make sure that Recompress edited frames is checked. That should do it.
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2004, 08:04 AM   #12
Major Player

David, I have tried that (in fact those are the current settings) and still no luck. I have also tried using another firewire port with no luck. I know the ports and deck work because I am able to control the deck using DVHS tool and the firewire ports. Again....HELP.
Old July 29th, 2004, 10:02 AM   #13
Rextilleon

Dwight---when you turn everything on, go to the preference file under options and chose Video Device---tell us if under the Details box it says :device available---

Also---right click on my computer, open up device manager---make sure the Firewire card is active and there are no yellow warning icons. Also, find your IEEE 1394 bus host controllers and see if they are OCHI compliant----
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2004, 07:34 PM   #14
Major Player

David, under the details box in Video Device it says device unavailable. Also, in my computers the two IEEE1394 devices are operational and OHCI compliant. However, Other Devices and its sublink AV/C Tuner is in yellow. This is the because there is not yet a tuner driver for the deck as it was not really designed to be controlled by a computer but rather a camera.

Thanks
Old July 29th, 2004, 09:26 PM   #15
Rextilleon

What about the device manager settings--are the firewire connection (s)OCHI complient--any question marks etc.
David Mintzer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...