DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Video discussions from 2005 (Q1Q2) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/33557-vegas-video-discussions-2005-q1q2.html)

Mitch Buss February 16th, 2005 11:18 AM

Using iTunes Songs

I have bought many songs from the iTunes music store but when I want to use them for little video projects, it does not allow me to use them. Is there any way around this? Thanks.

MITCH

Bobby Abernathy February 16th, 2005 11:41 AM

Just a cheapy Dell mouse. Two buttons and a wheel. Nothing fancy.

Jeff Toogood February 16th, 2005 12:42 PM

My friend had the exact same thing happen in Vegas. Can't recall exactly, but I think it had something to do with his video card settings.
Something about slowing mouse acceleration or lowering to 50% during games or video acceleration? and for some reason his mouse thought Vegas was a game application.

Bobby Abernathy February 16th, 2005 01:12 PM

Jeff, you're the man, didn't even think about looking there (doh!). Under mouse properties in the control panel, there is a box checked for "Disable Acceleration in Games." Unchecking this did the trick. Thanks!

Allen Nash February 16th, 2005 01:28 PM

cutting audio by sample

i'm just looking for clarification: there's no way to do this in Vegas right? no workaround, plug-in, script, etc.? I know that video editors don't cut to samples traditionally, but i figured that it might be implemented somehow in a video editor built by a sound company.

I don't really see why this feature hasn't made it into NLE's by now. what do you guys think?

Edward Troxel February 16th, 2005 01:34 PM

Ah yes... I remember that now too. Because Vegas uses the DirectX components, some apps think it's a game. Glad you found the solution.

Edward Troxel February 16th, 2005 01:37 PM

Yes, Vegas can work with audio down to the Sample. You'll need to turn off "Quantize to frames" to get to the subframe level.

Allen Nash February 16th, 2005 01:45 PM

that's sweet. AVID doesn't even do that, right?

thanks!!

oh yeah and now that i can do that, what's the point of mixing with a seperate program (I was using adobe audition). actually i can think of a few reasons but am curious what others think.

Edward Troxel February 16th, 2005 02:00 PM

There ARE a few reasons to use dedicated audio programs. For one example, the Sound Forge Normalize is much more powerful than the Vegas Normalize. However, Vegas can handle a LOT all on it's own.

Step back in time and you'll see that Vegas 1.0 was a Multi-Track audio editing program. Vegas 2.0 added Video components!

Allen Nash February 16th, 2005 02:08 PM

clip speed higher than 1200% ?

is this possible? I think i remember a thread about this before, but can't find it, sorry.

If a method doesnt exist I guess i could just apply a speed, render the clip (making the speed change permanent), import it and then apply a new speed.. but does a quicker way exist?

.thanks

Shannon Rawls February 16th, 2005 02:14 PM

Not to start a war or anything, but everywhere I turn, I see reasons why I am glad I am a "PC Guy" and not a "MAC Guy".

btw, I own a G3 iMac DV 400 with OSX and FCP3.

But Vegas....nothing can touch it in my opinon.

My wife just bought a 40GB iPod (cause it was cute and her friends have one). I like it too. However, I told her "Don't you dare put that iTunes stuff on your Vaio baby! Figure out a way to sync it with your windows media player that you are used to." Low and behold, she found a plug in to make it work. So sorry, I can't help you with iTunes. Had you been on Windows Media Player, you wouldn't be having this issue. *smile*

- ShannonRawls.com

Edward Troxel February 16th, 2005 02:25 PM

Two options:

1) Render it out, add it back to the timeline again, and speed it up again.

2) Use Time Bandit - part of the Veggie Toolkit.

John C. Chu February 16th, 2005 02:42 PM

Re: Using iTunes Songs

<<<-- Originally posted by Mitch Buss : I have bought many songs from the iTunes music store but when I want to use them for little video projects, it does not allow me to use them. Is there any way around this? Thanks.

MITCH -->>>

A quick and dirty way is burn the song on CD and then reimport the song back in.

Shannon Rawls February 16th, 2005 03:19 PM

Re: Re: Using iTunes Songs

<<<-- Originally posted by John C. Chu :
A quick and dirty way is burn the song on CD and then reimport the song back in. -->>>

Good idea John. And not that dirty actually. it still maintains a very high bitrate and quality.

Problem solved.

- Shannon W. Rawls

Brian Mitchell Warshawsky February 16th, 2005 04:12 PM

Re: CF25 in HDV mode

Sorry Chris, if this is in the wrong forum....

Instead of shooting in CF25, wouldn't a better option be to shoot interlaced, and run a 24fps conversion in Vegas?

For HDV, after capturing with the Cineform codec, run either Edward's 24fps script or Ultimate S/Celluloid, and won't the output be of a higher quality that the CF25?

Or is the issue one of interlace artifacts?

In the alternative, why would CF25 be better than Sony's CF24 mode?

Brian