Audio Fx at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 27th, 2009, 11:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Audio Fx

Is there a way of applying an audio fx on a clip without affecting the entire track, similar to what can be done with video fx. Thanks
William LiPera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #2
Inner Circle

apply to the CLIP only-highlight the clip, right click, goto 'non realtime FX' pick the one you want save as and your done.
Old September 28th, 2009, 12:16 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Don's answer is the most sensible in most situations, but you could also consider creating a separate audio track for the clip(s) you want the effect for - that way you can tweak in real time rather than having to apply/listen/undo if you don't like how the clip sounds in the mix.

Remember also that you can keyframe audio fx, so you could add a 'hold' keyframe containing 'reset to none' values at the end of the preceding clip, followed immediately by a keyframe that contains your effect values, followed by a keyframe that contains 'reset to none' values at the end of the clip. That way you keep all the clips on the same audio track. Many audio fx parameters can also have envelopes applied, which gives you a further choice.

Just a couple of alternatives for different situations (which is one of the things I love most about Vegas). Don's method is certainly the most straightforward, though.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 04:49 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Just to add to what Ian said, most times I DO run a seperate track for each audio piece then run a bus for each track and depending on the FX I need, I run it in the bus before it reaches the master bus.
The beauty of Vegas, so many ways to do so many things. :-)
Old September 29th, 2009, 12:37 AM   #5
Old Boot

Since the "Mixer" had come about in Vegas, I have been far more creative with the use of Audio. Yes, we had versions of this, but having those vertically sliders and ALL the options set in one place is a total dream. I now have a Sound-Desk Windows Layout set aside just for the purposes of doing Audio Mix and Control.

I can now have a music bed TRACK: an SFx TRACK/BUS; a Foley TRACK; a V/O TRACK; additional audio fill TRACK . . etc etc and all mixable allowing me to reach a new level of creativity and quality.

I had a Band come and see what I was doing, using this Mixer, as part of the final workflow send to DVDA for their DVD I produced. They were mightily impressed.

We are really fortunate that Vegas stemmed from an audio background.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 02:00 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Ditto, Grazie.

I came from an audio background and the simple reason I chose Vegas over the others was at the time (v3 I think) Vegas looked and acted more like my DAW (Cakewalk Pro Audio/Sonar) than any of the others. I 'got' Vegas straight off the bat (well, sort of) because of that.

Old habits die hard, though, and I still go out to Sonar on occasions, usually for anything that's a little more complicated than your 'average' audio (whatever that is!). That's on the decline, though, and I haven't bothered to upgrade Sonar for a couple of releases now as I can do much of what I want in Vegas.

If someone was to develop a sequencer plugin for Vegas, with DXi and VSTi support, I would ditch the other apps tomorrow!
Ian Stark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...