The Vegas Blur - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 30th, 2005, 07:39 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel
No, Patrick, you're not wacked. That button should have absolutely no effect unless Motion Blur has actually been applied to the project. A Motion Blur envelope is added on the Video Bus Track.
Yes, that's what I thought. But I discovered that anytime I made any change to an event -- even a simple pan/crop to letterbox the event -- the result would be an immediate and markedly noticeable degradation of the footage.

Clicking the motion blur bypass tab immediately corrected the problem. It was like going from a second or third generation xerox copy to a crisp original, instantly.

If anyone else can explain why this happened, I'd be curious to know.
Rob Gregory-Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2005, 12:29 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Rob - have you double checked that no Motion Blur was applied?

(Ctrl-Shift-B to display Video Bus Track - right click to show envelopes)

If not, this is a mystery, as if there is no Motion Blur, there should be nothing to by-pass ......
Peter Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2005, 07:18 AM   #18
Regular Crew

No motion blur has been applied, so I can't explain why hitting bypass makes a difference, but it certainly does -- and not even a slight one.

Thinking it might have something to do with my setup, I downloaded a copy of the Vegas 6 trial at my office and discovered the same problem there as well.

Whatever the reason, at least there's a solution.
Old May 31st, 2005, 04:11 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I found in my Vegas 6 trial a bug in VideoFX - if I want to use SHARPEN, its presets are exactly like QUICK BLUR !?!?!?!?!?!
Plamen Petrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2005, 04:21 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Its a conspiracy.We all need to get out of town...NOW
Don Meers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2005, 04:51 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Another interesting thing I'm finding is that if I click "use Microsoft DV Codec" in my preferences, the problem doesn't seem to happen. Could it be the Sony codec? I always thought it was supposed to be superior to the MS codec.
Old May 31st, 2005, 09:25 PM   #22
Sponsor: JET DV

Update to 6.0b and the blur effect will blur once again.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2005, 01:12 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Gregory-Browne
Another interesting thing I'm finding is that if I click "use Microsoft DV Codec" in my preferences, the problem doesn't seem to happen. Could it be the Sony codec? I always thought it was supposed to be superior to the MS codec.
I believe the MS codec being referred to is a DV-AVI codec (hence the "DV" in the name). This should have no effect if you're rendering MPEG-2.

Good luck.

Dennis
Dennis Vogel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...