How to archive Vegas 6.0, m2t clips to D-VHS at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 4th, 2005, 10:57 AM   #1
Regular Crew

How to archive Vegas 6.0, m2t clips to D-VHS

After capturing an HDV m2t clip in Vegas 6.0, how do you convert the file so that it can be archived (DVHSTool ? or other program) to D-VHS (JVC 30k)?
Thanks,
Ben
Ben Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2005, 12:09 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Ben,

I am assuming you captured the clip as M2T from the JVC camera? it is already in the right format or are you editing it on the timeline first?

Vegas can also render your edited timeline back to M2T as well in the correct 720P format the D-VHS deck will accept. (Sometimes default the file extension is .TS but this is the same thing)

Once you have the M2T file, you can send it back to the camera or a DVHS.

I have the JVC DH30000U and usually I use Mac software but the concept applies to the PC software as well so long as it recognized the DVHS deck. You can always go back to the JVC camera using the "HD Capture Utility" software that comes with the camera (assuming this is how you started) and then to the DVHS deck and will not lose anything in the process.

I am not sure if that utility goes to the DVHS directly since I have not tried.
Bryan
Bryan Suthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2005, 12:50 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Brian for your reply.
I should have mentioned that I captured footage from the FX1, which is 1080i and records mpg2 somewhat differently than the JVC Cam. The JVC 30k does, indeed, record 1080i, but crashes the computer when I try to export the raw (Vegas) captured file using DVHSTool.

Perhaps there's a conversion process?

Thanks,
Ben
Old June 4th, 2005, 02:15 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Looks like we are actually trying the same thing but on different platforms (I am on mac).

I have the FX1 as well and want to get the footage back to DVHS too. The DH30000U does not record from either the the Sony or Final Cut Pro (at least not that I have been able to get work, it gets a few frames and then nothing).

I have a way (long and slow) to get an M2T file created from the FX1 footage and I was then planning to try CapDVHS or LumiereHD (Mac) to get it back to the deck. I may try some of the PC software too since perhaps the JVC Capture Utility may talk to the DH30000U.

I'll post here again if I figure it out on PC.

Bryan
Bryan Suthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2005, 02:50 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks again, Bryan.

I'll be leaving on Monday for a two week vacation, but please post your findings. There's got to be a way to accomplish what you and I are trying to do.

Any help from the Forum would be appreciated.

Thanks guys,
Ben
Old June 5th, 2005, 01:39 PM   #6
Major Player

Ben,

The stream MUST be transport stream to go to D-VHS. Just changing extension does not do that. VLC (free) has an easy way to convert without re-encoding, and it is very fast.

m2t is a file extension introduced by JVC. (At least I hadn't seen it before.) ts is another common extension indicating a transport stream.
Old June 5th, 2005, 08:28 PM   #7
Regular Crew

David,
Thanks for your help. I've been able to play (flawlessly) the m2t file using the VLC Media Player, but attempts to "save" it or Convert the file to a ts extension have proven futile. Do you use the "Stream Ouput" Setting? If so, what transcoding options are used?

I'm sorry to be so computer illiterate, but if you could walk me through the steps in the process (there are no "user directions" that I'm aware of) I'd be most grateful.

Thanks,
Ben
Old June 6th, 2005, 11:58 AM   #8
Major Player

Ben,

I don't have VLC in front of me, but if you've found the "stream output" you're in the right place. Make sure all transcoding options are unchecked. Just above that there is a place to select "encapulation method" with a choice of "ts" or "ps". You want "ts". When no transcoding is checked, it simply re-formats the stream without re-encoding, and it is very fast. If you have fast disk drive(s), it should be considerably less than run time. The new file will be slightly larger than the ps file.

Hope this helps!
Old June 27th, 2005, 01:28 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Hi Dave,
We just returned from a marvelous vacation in France, so this is the first opportunity I've had to thank you for your response.

I must STILL be doing something wrong. I followed your instructions (even tried the "Wizard") but after the conversion, the new file is smaller than the original and when I copy to my JVC 30k (using DVHSTool) the recorded image stutters and pixilates upon playback. One thing, though, you mention that the converted ts file should be slightly larger than the "ps" file. My original file is m2t. Should I have converted this to ps first, and then do another conversion to ts for it to work?

Thanks again,
Ben
Old June 27th, 2005, 08:34 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Hardy
Hi Dave,
We just returned from a marvelous vacation in France, so this is the first opportunity I've had to thank you for your response.

I must STILL be doing something wrong. I followed your instructions (even tried the "Wizard") but after the conversion, the new file is smaller than the original and when I copy to my JVC 30k (using DVHSTool) the recorded image stutters and pixilates upon playback. One thing, though, you mention that the converted ts file should be slightly larger than the "ps" file. My original file is m2t. Should I have converted this to ps first, and then do another conversion to ts for it to work?

Thanks again,
Ben
ts to ps transcoding 'shouldn't' re-render or affect the base data in any way... but why would you want to take the chance? MPEG2 Transport Stream is appropriate for HDV because it is the broadcast standard.

The thing that I'm not sure about is the JVC 30k's compatability with recording of the 1080i FX1/Z1 signal. I'm sure I saw posts from early FX-1 purchasers who stated the deck was incompatible with Sony's HDV implimentation.

If you've had success getting 1080i HDV into the JVC 30k, what physical approach did you take to do so? The only one I can think of would be via firewire direct from the camera... unless there's a way to component connect the FX-1/Z1, in which case the signal would surely be re-encoded by the deck before writing to tape. You guys have watched flawless playback of 1080i Sony FX-1/Z1 HDV recorded on the JVC 30k?

The only sure fire way I could imagine to get FX-1 clips 'backed-up' onto the JVC 30k deck would be to re-encode as 720p m2t, for full compatability.
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 09:23 AM   #11
Major Player

It does seem that Sony transport stream could be transferred to D-VHS, as VCR has 28 Mb/s capability. However, since BROADCAST TS has a max of 19.6 Mb/s, that may come into play here. Maybe that's why JVC stayed below 19.6. I do know that stream must be configured EXACTLY right to work.

If Vegas puts out TS, then use VLC to make PS, then change back to TS. I used VLC to output TS from some NASA 720p I downloaded. Cleaned it up to play MUCH better. There are certainly elements at play here which I don't understand!
Old June 28th, 2005, 02:25 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I just tried converting the Vegas m2t file to ps first and then, converted this file to ts. After recording it with DVHSTool, the file still pixilates and skips. I've recorded several Concerts and Movies from a newsgroup that is 1080i ts on the JVC 30k. The playback is near flawless.

There has to be an answer............ What are we missing?

Ben
Old June 29th, 2005, 07:56 AM   #13
Major Player

Ben,

I agree, were missing something. How do file sizes compare? A number of MPEG players and editors can tell you quite a bit about a file. Different players respond differently too. Try re-encoding it with VLC. I know it will be slow and ineffecient, but it might tell you something. Maybe it's been tried, but lay clip back to camera, then firewire copy to 30k I hope you're using a SHORT test clip. Good luck!
Old July 15th, 2005, 07:54 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Success!
I’ve just recorded a glitch-free 1080i m2t clip (captured with Vegas 6 from a FX1), to D-VHS. Except for the Audio being somewhat low, the clip is perfect, viewed on a 96” wide 16:9 projected image.
The solution is actually in the Vegas “HELP”, HDV Editing in Vegas, instructions:
“Import the clip. Under VIEW, select Project Media. Right click on the clip in the Project Window (not the timeline). Choose REPLACE from the shortcut menu.
Browse to the MPEG2 transport stream and select HD 1080i (or 720p). Be sure you do NOT mistakenly select HDV 1080i. Name the file and save. Open DVHS-Tool and save the file to Queue. The extension of your file will still be m2t, but no matter. It is now a transport stream file. Press Record and that’s it.
Old October 1st, 2005, 02:46 PM   #15
New Boot

Lossless archiving solution

Ben Hurdy's last post called "Successs" makes no sense. I think he left out some sentences in the middle of his paragraph. I think what he was trying to say is that you can use Vegas 6 to transcode HC1 1080i video to the format that the JVC HD3000u and HD4000u expect: 720p at 20 mb/s. This is done using the HDV profile in Vegas 6. The problem with this is that it takes about 5 hours to transcode 1 hour of video on my P4 3.2mHz machine. And of course it is not a true archive since you loose quality in transcoding, and also the lower bit rate.

A better solution is in this thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=49637

I just ordered a Mitsubishi HD2000u from eBay for $200. I should have checked further because there is one listed there for "Buy it now" at $159.
With this solution you record directly from the HC1 to the Mitsubishi recorder, digital-to-digital, and therefore have a lossless archive. Of course the Mitsubishi does not have component out. But you can apparently play the tapes in the JVC DVHS player which does.

This represents lossless archiving at 1:1 speed.

==Doug
Douglas Boyd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...