Pan/Crop Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 5th, 2005, 03:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Pan/Crop Question

I know it's probably a simple solution, but I can't quite get it. There's a shot where writing on a paper is just slightly getting cut out at the edges of the tv screen. According to the "safe grid" it should be just inside the tv screen, but when I play the CD on the actual tv, the first and last letter are just slightly outside the frame. How do I pan/crop (or something else) to get it all in frame for the tv? Thank you.
Ruben Pla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 03:24 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

I would probably use Track Motion to simply make the video slightly smaller so everything would fit. If you use Pan/Crop, you will need to make the Pan/Crop screen BIGGER so that the image will become smaller.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2005, 04:20 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks, Ed. I'll try it. I've never used Track Motion, but I'll go read up on it and, if I can't figure it out, I'll get back to you.

Ruben
Old October 5th, 2005, 04:46 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I tried, but I can't get it. How do I do it? I need to make the last letter on either side a little more inside the safe area.
Old October 5th, 2005, 05:00 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I went back and tried the making the pan/crop screen bigger, and that does get all the letters in the safe zone, but now there are black bars all around the frame.
Old October 5th, 2005, 09:25 PM   #6

You could add a generated media of the proper color on a track below that track to make it a different color. However, by making it smaller, you will have an edge of some color (black by default)
Old October 5th, 2005, 11:57 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Is there a way to reduce the frame, so it's all within the safe zone, crop the black borders out, and then enlarge that frame it so that it fills the whole screen? Can that be done? It seems like it should be.
Old October 6th, 2005, 07:46 AM   #8

The only way to "crop out the black borders" is to make them "not black." Put a generated media of the desired color on a track below that event.
Old October 6th, 2005, 10:10 AM   #9
Sponsor: VASST

One trick is to duplicate the media on the track below and add a Gaussian Blur. Now when you crop the upper track to get the text to fit within the safe area, instead of black bars you will have the same color as the original background only blurred. Sometimes it’s not even that noticeable.

~jr
Old October 6th, 2005, 04:56 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Ok, thanks. I'll try that.
Ruben Pla is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...