Why does Vegas render change CUTS to FADES? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 18th, 2009, 09:35 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Nested within nested, ouch.

At any rate, you should be fine using either method you described. Try the first one and see how it looks.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 10:51 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Gould View Post
...Is there any disadvantage to rendering my individual projects as DV AVIs before I dump to .mpg? I understand there's compression when I go to DV, but since it's going to MPEG-2 in the end this DV compression is probably irrelevant, correct?...
Agreeing with Jeff that this is a reasonable approach.

There's always someone to say "best quality is uncompressed", but in the real world, DV has been tested through multiple generations for image degradation. It's good for somewhere between 10 and 13 generations without visible loss.

So, yes, DV is quite a reasonable DI for a standard def workflow.
Old November 19th, 2009, 02:18 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
For my workflow, I create projects in segments. When they are completed I simply select all and copy and paste them together. It is tricky at first with multiple lines of video/audio, etc., but eventually you learn which line to click on the timeline when pasting so that you do not create a mess. For example, I usually end up pasting to the top line.

This might not be a solution for you, but it really works well for me.
Appreciated this is a little away from the original topic, but fwiw I tend to create rendered sub-segments that I then stitch together in a master veg. Then I use the REPLACE function in the media pool whenever I make any changes to the segments. That maintains the integrity of each segment's position. Occasionally that makes project-wide colour correcting a tad harder but it's not a major showstopper.

I have (and still do) worked with nested veg's and I have (and still do) used the method Jeff describes above, but this way usually works best for me personally - as I get older I prefer simple timelines!

More to the point, some of my projects contain ridiculously complex sections that would drag Vegas to its knees if I was to try and do it all on one timeline (using chroma keying, 3d alpha tracks, gaussian blur, bump map lighting effects, you name it).
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2009, 08:04 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Nesting veggies

I've found a very good reason for using nested veggies:

Although I'm primarily working in V9.0c now, sometimes, it's nice to be able to do sub-projects in V8.0c in order to use 32bit plugins, and nest those in the V9 project - thus retaining full editability of the sub-project within V8. (If you import a V8 veggie into V9 it will convert it to V9 - whereas, if you nest it, you retain the ability to edit it in V8).
Steve Renouf is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...