Vegas 9 is low on memory - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 29th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #46
Inner Circle

Re: Vegas 9 is low on memory

More details about my computer

Component Details Subscore Base score
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz 7.4 5.9
Determined by lowest subscore

Memory (RAM) 12.0 GB 7.5
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 7.6
Gaming graphics 4095 MB Total available graphics memory 7.6
Primary hard disk 702GB Free (931GB Total) 5.9
Windows 7 Professional

System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer OEM
Model OEM
Total amount of system memory 12.0 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 4

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 1863 GB
Disk partition (C:) 702 GB Free (931 GB Total)
Media drive (D:) CD/DVD
Disk partition (F:) 44 GB Free (932 GB Total)

Graphics

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
Total available graphics memory 4095 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 1024 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 3071 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.17.12.6658
Primary monitor resolution 1920x1200
DirectX version DirectX 10

Network

Network Adapter Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Network Adapter Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Old April 29th, 2011, 02:53 PM   #47
Inner Circle

I don't know Steven, I would check my ram timings, I guess. It is a real mytery and makes no logical sense.
Old April 29th, 2011, 03:14 PM   #48
Inner Circle

Yep crazy.

I want to buy After Effects, so I will probably get the CS5 Suite when it comes out. I'm so tired of Vegas crashes.
Old April 29th, 2011, 03:30 PM   #49
Inner Circle

I have CS5, it's out. I don't understand your crashes, doesn't happen to me. Well it has, but it had nothing to do with Vegas.

Are you running your media off the same hard drive? You do know that is a no-no, right? Not saying it is the issue.

If you are using the same drive as in your old system, get a new drive for sure.

I had some crashes last month, I moved the media to another drive, crashes stopped. It wasn't Vegas, the hard drive had errors on it.
Old April 29th, 2011, 04:23 PM   #50
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
I have CS5, it's out. I don't understand your crashes, doesn't happen to me. Well it has, but it had nothing to do with Vegas.

Are you running your media off the same hard drive? You do know that is a no-no, right? Not saying it is the issue.

If you are using the same drive as in your old system, get a new drive for sure.

I had some crashes last month, I moved the media to another drive, crashes stopped. It wasn't Vegas, the hard drive had errors on it.
Could be. I use separate video drives, my main drive is brand new like my machine. But it could be the drive, I suppose I could copy the project to another drive and try it there. I don't get the crashes either. By the way, I was going to download the trial for CS5, but it's not available yet.
Old April 29th, 2011, 06:18 PM   #51
Inner Circle

You know, you can move the media to your OS drive, it truly doesn't hurt anything, it's just brutal on the drive over time. You might also run disc check on the media drive and see if that helps. That's how I fixed my bad drive. Over time they need it run once in a while to fix errors, don't know why, etc, and some drives never need it, but some drives used for video just get a bit buggy over time.
Old April 29th, 2011, 07:22 PM   #52
Inner Circle

Yeah Jeff,

That's what I'm doing, moving the project to my os drive. We'll see.
Old April 29th, 2011, 08:16 PM   #53
Inner Circle

Same crash on my OS drive, now I'm trying to see if it is a specific file. And the hits keep on rollin...
Old April 29th, 2011, 08:58 PM   #54
Inner Circle

Here's a quick test to try.
A user on another forum posted this and says it'll give him a "low memory" error on Pro 9 every single time.
I haven't tried it on Pro 7, 8 or 10.
He says that Vegas 6 doesn't give him the error.
I tried it and sure enough, low memory error, on a quad core :(

Open a new project and put anything on timeline (even a still from Media Generator would be ok)
- Render it as MP4 using MainConcept AVC/AAC encoder
- Choose Apple IPod 320x240 template and open Custom panel
- Set Frame Rate to 15
- Set Constant Bit Rate to 192,000

FYI, I tried it on Pro 7, 8 and 10 and it worked as expected.
This tells me, in no uncertain terms, that Sony broke something in Pro 9 that got fixed in Pro 10.

Last edited by Mike Kujbida; April 30th, 2011 at 11:16 AM.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2011, 10:09 AM   #55
Inner Circle

Update:

Well, I took the project moved it to my OS drive and it crashed.

I was thinking the .veg file may be bad, so I copied everything on my timeline into a blank .veg file, and the project still crashed.

I started watching where it was crashing and it seemed to crash on my third to last slide, a picture. Keep in mind I only have a about a dozen picture files on this 3 minute project.

Figuring it was the picture, I deleted it off my timeline and the project rendered. I put it back and the project crashed. I deleted the picture again and put the stock Vegas checkerboard media in place of it, and the project rendered. Thinking now, that the picture may be bad, I turned it in to a png file, it still crashed. I then said, hmm, maybe the drive is still the issue, so I took a nature photograph from my OS drive and placed it in the timeline where I've been having problems, and the project crashed. Thinking that the timeline may have an issue with pictures, I converted the picture into a video file and the project crashed, then I moved it to a different track, the project still crashed. I then took my entire project and moved it way down the timeline, still crash.

At this point, I think the project setup is corrupt somehow and I will have to rebuild this entire project from scratch.

This is what drives me nuts about Vegas, In my opinion, after using this software for 6 years or more, Sony does not pay enough attention to these problems. Vegas needs to do better error reporting. I am not having low memory issues, even though that is the error it's giving me. At this point, I think the build is corrupt.

Ofcourse I emailed Sony and they gave me that 'pat' turn off all other stuff in msconfig. I then thought to my self, if your software is so crappy that I have to turn off everything on a machine this strong, you have no right to call this professional software.

Sigh.
Old April 30th, 2011, 10:27 AM   #56
Inner Circle

Steven, you will have to find out for yourself what the problem is. You have done an excellent job of narrowing it down, and are to be commended for your troubleshooting methods.

I'm not sure what you mean by build being corrupt, what does that mean?

They tell you to turn everything off because it is a first step in any troubleshooting thing from there point of view. Most people who operate PCs are computer illiterate, and do not have their machine properly configured. Sony cannot know you are not one of those people, so you have to understand their point of view.

I'm really sorry for the trouble you're having. I feel for you. Your build is fine, most likely, unless you have a bad stick of ram or something, etc. What is really sad is the problem is likely something very simple, but it is finding out what it is. I still don't beleive it is the software itself.

It might be a software conflict. I would consider reinstalling windows, installing vegas, and nothing else, and then see what happens.

I recommend this because it is what I would do based on what you've shared.

First thing you should do is run windows disc check and have it check and fix any errors on your C drive. It costs nothing, and this has helped me many times in the past. If the drive is new, you would be surprised. It will only perform after a reboot on the OS drive, so you will need to do it when you can step away from the computer for an hour or two.
Old April 30th, 2011, 09:59 PM   #57
Inner Circle

My whole family is hardheaded, and I'm really hard headed. So I took my project, which is on an icydock removable bay and hooked it up to my VISTA laptop, connected it via usb and whalla, it rendered.

So Jeff, I think you are on something, it appears to be software related. I'll start with a reinstall of Vegas first, then I'll run tests on windows.
Old May 1st, 2011, 12:11 AM   #58
Inner Circle

Well, Steven, as far as you being hard-headed, I'm Irish, so I know all about being hard-headed!

Windows installations are funny, it does not always install right. I've installed it hundreds of times. What I've found is after it's installed, you set it up, then play with it. You change it's settings first, etc., and while your're playing with it or installing your programs, if you see ANY hiccup, I reinstall it.

The only way I've found that is relatively sure is to use a floppy disc and do a format of the hard drive, and I format it about 25% or more, then I reformat it again using the Windows setup program, which is not a complete format, but I do it anyway.

Then I install Windows again. If you install Windows over an old installation, it can get buggy if you do not reformat the drive first. I've reformatted my OS drive three times in a row before installing Windows on occasion.

Good luck, it sounds like you are on the way!
Old May 1st, 2011, 10:46 AM   #59
Inner Circle

Steve,

I had this with version 9 a couple years back. Seems to me it had something to do with virtual memory. No issues in 10, yet.

I also use edius 5.0 these days. Vegas is my favorite however!!! even if infuriating at times.

dale
Old May 1st, 2011, 05:43 PM   #60
Inner Circle

That's a good suggestion Dale. Steven, you might try turning off your paging file, restarting, defragment your drive, then see what happens.

If that doesn't do any good, turn it back on, defrag again and try it again. It likely won't do any good, but it is a good practice to do those steps from time to time.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...