End of Cinescore? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 4th, 2010, 02:42 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Ah, OK. I was really thinking in the Sony software world but that's a good example, Ron.

However, I'm still not seeing Sony's 'proclivity' (tendency, inclination, leaning) to leave us high and dry.

In the case of the hot shoe presumably people had a choice - 1. DO, or 2. DO NOT buy new Sony cameras if you want to protect your investment in accessories.

In the case of Cinescore we were given a period of notice (agreed it was short) and very low sale prices to capitalise on a bit of technology that was coming to the end of its life. Let's face it, Cinescore has clearly not performed as Sony would have wanted. If it had, it would have been further developed and would not still be in it's v1.0 incarnation after four years. There's a pretty hefty clue as to what Sony thought of it right there.

I'm not defending anything Sony has or hasn't done. My point is that IMO this is not an indication that Sony is in the habit of doing this sort of thing simply to gouge its loyal customers. Find me a huge corporation like Sony that hasn't done something, sometime to upset a segment of it's customer base! IBM with MCA, Epson and Canon with their genuine cartridge software, Adobe dropping Ultra from Creative Suite, Microsoft with [INSERT PRODUCT NAME HERE].

There are a handful of people on this forum alone who are clearly delighted that they were able to get hold of Themes at knock down prices. And you can still buy Themes - just not from Sony and not at the sale price they offered them at 'for a limited period only' (which is how most sales work!). Further, there are lots of us who are keen to learn more about Sony's promised 'next generation music creation technology'.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...