Vegas stops, and says it can't write the file at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 23rd, 2009, 04:58 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Vegas stops, and says it can't write the file

So, I am working on a project for the office. A program I recorded some months ago that I was trying to complete before the holidays. We just submitted the audio to the captioning service this week. Multi-cam shoot.

My last piece before final, was to take my 1080p XDCamEX files, and render them into one complete clip. Program was 1hr2min long. Render scheduled to take 2hr40 minutes. I stayed late to watch it finish.

At 2hrs28m, as I was watching the .tmp file copy into my final file, Vegas stops, and says it can't write the file. 250GB free on this working drive. No explanation, no error code. Just a waste of an afternoon. Why an afternoon? Because after the render failed twice in Vegas 9 64bit after only10 minutes, I decided to try it in Vegas 9 32bit. No filters, 8-bit encode, just as fundamental as could be.

Those of you who wonder why I am jumping ship... There is your answer. Absolutely, 100% unacceptable. And if I was on deadline, I would have picked up the phone to order my new NLE today.

Dammit, I'm mad...

[edit]

I am now going to try to render into the XDCamEX format and see if it can manage to write back into the same da** format the video came from without crapping out. If not, I am uninstalling the program.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 05:07 PM   #2
Major Player

That's Gotta Hurt.
render the workspace of the first minute, and the last minute, then somewhere in between, it'll work perfect right :-)
Old December 23rd, 2009, 05:20 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Welk View Post
That's Gotta Hurt.
render the workspace of the first minute, and the last minute, then somewhere in between, it'll work perfect right :-)
That's just it... the RENDER was complete!! No more frames left to process. All it was doing was copying the temporary file it creates to the final video file. A basic damn file copy! With NO recovery ability. Instead of preserving the .tmp file so it can try again later, or the user can rename the file, it deletes BOTH files before it pops up the window to tell you it's failed!

The name "Pro" should be removed from this program. There is no "Pro" in it.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 05:22 PM   #4
Major Player

are the temps on a different hard drive than the final?
are the temps on a different partion than the final?
Old December 23rd, 2009, 05:24 PM   #5
Inner Circle

No, Vegas gives you no control of where the temps write. So by default it creates the .tmp in the same folder as the final. Temp file was 66GB on a drive with over 250GB free.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 05:35 PM   #6
Major Player

So it might have failed when it was just renaming or moving a temp to its proper name.

well what are the possibilities,, brainstorm.
an asleep drive, it wastnt that
not enough space and them using Copy, you know it wasnt that
I changed the name of a folder when it wasnt looking , probably didnt do that
Program doesnt have the right Permissions, which could allow writing but not renaming/deleting, which would be a crasy setting for a user in a NT system.
File header writeout couldnt occur
CRC failed cant see it doing that
piece missing of an archive, its not an archive
Program crash, you know it wasnt that because it cleared the file
Another Program had a Lock on the file , there is a possibilty, you were LOOKING in the folder, that means Xp Vista and 7 Would all try and get Info and properties on the file as soon as it was made. remember the MS system routing through your files in a folder doing thumbs and such? most video geeks turn off the one that routes through whole anims, did you turn that crap off?
Old December 23rd, 2009, 05:40 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Yea Marty, I know the failure modes...

Drive can't be asleep, Vegas just spent 2+ hours rendering to it.

Tmp file was 66GB. Drive has 250+GB free.

Drive is on a private system and the keyboard wasn't touched. Nothing got renamed. I was watching the numbers count up. It was at over 40GB into the copy when it stopped.

If writeout couldn't occur or it was a permissions issue, it wouldn't have copied 40+ GB.

CRC error is possible, and I accept that. BUT DON'T ERASE THE SOURCE FILE! At least leave it there for possible recovery later, or a copy onto another drive. That is what I would expect of a professional app.

Quote:
So it might have failed when it was just renaming or moving a temp to its proper name.

well what are the possibilities,, brainstorm.
an asleep drive,
not enough space and them using Copy,
I changed the name of a folder when it wasnt looking ,
Program doesnt have the right Permissions, which could allow writing but not renaming, which would be a crasy setting for a user in a NT system.
File header writeout couldnt occur
CRC failed cant see it doing that
piece missing of an archive
Old December 23rd, 2009, 05:42 PM   #8
Major Player

i wasnt done editing. i added a few more.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 05:58 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
i wasnt done editing. i added a few more.
Program didn't crash. I didn't have to restart it to try a new render.

And file wasn't locked.. it was counting up when it stopped, just like it had been doing for 20 minutes...
Old December 23rd, 2009, 06:03 PM   #10
Major Player

Does it work if you rendered just the workspace of 2 gigs of it?
while monitoring the file the same way?

I am looking on the web, your the first one to come up in search when i seek for the problem. isnt that cool :-)

here is a speculation one person had about a write error
Could not write header for output file #0 (incorrect codec parameters ?) <--- if it was finalising by writing a header that might apply somehow?

is it a shared folder?

did the file name have Odd charachters , like any of them @&$^@ -- += things in it , not including the Period which should never be a problem with anything.
did it have spaces? was there any forign language or accented vowels and stuff in the file name?

was the complete file path and file name long? like more than 255 charachters?
is it down an excessive number of folders from the root of the disk?

http://www.hv20.com/showthread.php?t=10297&page=2
same problem by others.

are there any sound files in the project that are not already converted to uncompressed Wave format stereo at the rate of your project?

what is the virtual memory ammount of the machine vrses the ram you have, and where is the Vm Paging file?

and why didnt you make that call for the other software :-)

Last edited by Marty Welk; December 23rd, 2009 at 06:44 PM.
Marty Welk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2009, 06:50 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Does it work if you rendered just the workspace of 2 gigs of it?
while monitoring the file the same way?
I rendered the file to an MXF format (XDCamEX same as source) and it finished.

Quote:
I am looking on the web, your the first one to come up in search when i seek for the problem. isnt that cool :-)
Not really.

Quote:
here is a speculation one person had about a write error
Could not write header for output file #0 (incorrect codec parameters ?) <--- if it was finalising by writing a header that might apply somehow?
Not after 40GB

Quote:
is it a shared folder?
No.

Quote:
did the file name have Odd charachters , like any of them @&$^@ -- += things in it , not including the Period which should never be a problem with anything.
did it have spaces? was there any forign language or accented vowels and stuff in the file name?
7 characters, all lower case letters. No numbers, no special characters.

Quote:
was the complete file path and file name long? like more than 255 charachters?
is it down an excessive number of folders from the root of the disk?
path was less than 30 characters, file name was 7.3

Quote:
are there any sound files in the project that are not already converted to uncompressed Wave format stereo at the rate of your project?
Nope

Quote:
what is the virtual memory ammount of the machine vrses the ram you have, and where is the Vm Paging file?
Separate drive.

Quote:
and why didnt you make that call for the other software :-)
Because my second render worked.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 06:55 PM   #12
Major Player

so you got it out?

Then you still must run, and not look back :-)
i was thinking about all the times i struggled miserably over something, when there was finnaly success, it was like the happy ending in the movie.
All the problems i had lowered my expectations to -482 , so when it finnaly worked i was so gratefull that i was at +10 , i forgot about the -482, and did it again.

next week your going to have a project in there again, trapped , unable to get out, all your hard work with No-Exit, and you will again be forced to do everything possible to get the project out of it. once they have you down and depressed and lowered your expectations as low as they go, finnaly the project will escape from its hell, and it will seem like a glorious day with everything perfect. if you cant get to heaven raise hell up a bit.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 07:12 PM   #13
Inner Circle

No worries. My request for purchase went in yesterday afternoon. Now I just need to wait on Budget. January or April.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 08:14 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Perrone, what are you moving to?
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2009, 08:16 PM   #15
Major Player

Perrone, sorry to hear you had problems, I very much feel your pain :)

Just out of curiosity what did you end up requesting to purchase?
Burk Webb is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...