DVD Architect = Incredibly Slow DVD Creation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 13th, 2010, 01:19 AM   #1
Regular Crew

DVD Architect = Incredibly Slow DVD Creation

I'm using Sony Vegas DVD Architect 5.0; and I'm getting terrible slow DVD creation times.

Making a two hour DVD is taking me 8+ hours !!! Has to render to mpeg2, then takes forever to make the DVD.

Anyone else dealing with this or is my software possibly corrupt?
Billy Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 04:54 AM   #2
Regular Crew

A lot depends on the speed of your computer.

Have you tried rendering to MPEG2 and AC3 from Vegas? It'll still be fairly slow if you have a slower machined but it makes the burning of the DVD that much quicker. Give them both the same file name although with their different extensions and dragging one of these rendered files into the Blue Screen automatically brings the other with it. You can also bring your Chapters into DVDA (press M at the relevant points in the Timeline in Vegas) which makes it much easier (to change the font or headings of menu items, highlight and press F2).

Richard
Richard Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 05:15 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Oh! And BTW, try disconnecting from the Net and disabling any anti-virus etc software for the duration of the deed (but don't forget to switch it back on again afterwards!)

Richard
Old February 13th, 2010, 06:34 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I agree with Richard about rendering in Vegas. You get far more control over the render in Vegas than in DVDA. I must ask though, what is the original file that you are working with?
AVI, M2T, Mxf,?????? This can make a big different in render times as can any or all of the following things.
Color Correction, pan/crop, Magic Bullet (hugh resource hog), actually pretty much anything you do to a clip or event will mean each frame needs to be read analyzed and rendered so yes it's going to take a while. Also the total length of the project will determine a lot. Obviously a 120 minute project will take longer than a 60 minute project, not just because of the lenght but also because of the bitrate. A 120 minute job need to compress a lot more than the 60 minute job so it because it's longer in time, so there are a lot a variables, too many to pinpoint the reason it might take longer to render, but if it were me, I would stop rendering in DVDA, render in Vegas with the proper bitrate and settings, check to see if everything I've done to the clips (events) is necessary as that slows down the process, make sure the track opacity is set to 100%, perhaps break the project down into smaller chunks and render the smaller pieces then connect with end actions in DVDA.
Lots of ways to skin a cat in Vegas/DVDA.
No offense to cat lovers ;-)
Old February 13th, 2010, 08:45 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Griffin View Post
Has to render to mpeg2, then takes forever to make the DVD.
Make sure you're using the DVD Architect NTSC video stream template and the Dolby Digital AC-3 Pro templates and not the DVD NTSC or DVD NTSC video stream templates as either of the latter means that DVDA will have to re-encode the streams all over again which would result in taking forever to make the DVD.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 08:57 AM   #6
Major Player

Slow pc will take a long time to render. Can you please post your pc spec, well'll know why it so slow. I am using core i7 desktop with 6gigs DDR3 rams. 1 hrs project render in Vegas take less than an hrs and finished the DVD in DVDA really fast.
Bruce Phung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 10:35 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Just a thought,

when I first used vegas and dvd arc It took 11 hours to render.

I did not realize I had the check boxes for multiple rendering all checked!!! I forget where it is, but look for that and see if that may be the issue.

dale
Old February 14th, 2010, 12:08 PM   #8
Regular Crew

First off, I'm only making a 'single movie,' and the real slow time doesn't seem to be in rendering, but in actually BURNING of the disc.

I have no idea where to find those settings you're talking about. All I do is hit 'new', 'single movie event,' and then 'make dvd.'
Billy Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 01:12 PM   #9
Major Player

Actually, it is the rendering in DVD Architect that's extremely slow. What's more, the MPEG-2 rendering in DVD Architect is of lower quality than the MPEG-2 render in the main Vegas program. As a result, I use the rendering (recompression) feature of DVD Architect only for re-renders to AVC.

As for the burning feature in DVD Architect, it is quite buggy and does not properly support a lot of DVD burners. Therefore, I also only use DVD Architect to make DVD or Blu-Ray image files on the hard disk so that I can burn them onto disc using a different burning program.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 04:54 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Strange. I've never had any problem burning from DVDA, touch wood. Perhaps it depends on the burner built into your PC?

Richard
Old February 15th, 2010, 06:35 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Griffin View Post
...and the real slow time doesn't seem to be in rendering, but in actually BURNING of the disc.
In that case, have DVDA "prepare" the disc and use another app to do the actual burning.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 11:54 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida View Post
In that case, have DVDA "prepare" the disc and use another app to do the actual burning.
i had to put my LG DVD burner in a different computer because DVD-A would cause a BSOD the moment i selected File > Make Blu-ray Disc... i can't even *prepare* a Blu-ray ISO, let alone burn one to disc if the LG burner is there :(

no other authoring software here has any problems with this burner in either computer... just DVD-A... that said i'm still using DVD-A as there aren't too many alternatives at the moment for my needs.
Rob Wood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...