Speaker or earphone at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 21st, 2010, 02:01 PM   #1
Major Player

Speaker or earphone

My Desktop don't have speaker, I have been using earphone when I am doing editing. Having the earphone all the time I don't like it. Which do you guys prefer using, speaker or earphone?
Bruce Phung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 02:54 PM   #2
Inner Circle

speakers-not necessarily the standard PC types but IMO they are better than headphones.
Old February 21st, 2010, 03:22 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I agree with Don.
Headphones will never give you the correct sound that you'll experience in a normal listening environment.
Cheap computer speakers are better than none at all but a decent pair of monitors is a worthwhile investment.
For example, M-Audio has the Studiophile AV 20, AV 30 and AV 40 series of desktop speakers for $80, $100 and $200 respectively that would be far better than headphones.
Prices are manufacturers list so you can definitely do better elsewhere.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 03:39 PM   #4
Major Player

Don/Mike

Thank you for your input. I will get a speaker sets. For $100 I can get a pretty good desktop speaker. My ears and head get tired with the headphone claming on me for hrs.
Bruce Phung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 04:40 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida View Post
For example, M-Audio has the Studiophile AV 20, AV 30 and AV 40 series of desktop speakers for $80, $100 and $200 respectively that would be far better than headphones.
Prices are manufacturers list so you can definitely do better elsewhere.
Interesting. Just for the heck of it, I searched for them at my favorite audio supplier and, yes, you can do better. But before buying them, double check what kind of input they take. The AV-20, for example, take RCA inputs, so you would need an adapter cable to connect them to a computer with its 1/8" output.

Though I still prefer AKG K-55 headphones. :)
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 04:56 PM   #6
Major Player

both, speakers to hear like most normal people will be hearing, and headphones standing by to check nuances of sounds that might not get noticed via speakers.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 09:10 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Really depends on what I'm editing. If I'm doing something outdoors and I want to check for very subtle sounds in the background, especially is my subject is far away, then I'll use headphones.

Otherwise, speakers for sound and comfort.
Mike Hammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 10:42 AM   #8
Trustee

There are also speakers that can act as a USB audio interface with the computer. In addition you can use a regular USB or FireWire audio interface between the computer and a set of powered speakers and/or headphones. I mention all this in case your computer's analog audio outputs have poor sound quality.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 03:44 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I'm with Marty on this. If audio quality is critical for you (and keep in mind the old saying that an audience might forgive poor video but not poor audio) then you need both.

It's also not a bad thing to listen on a variety of speakers if you can. I have an expensive pair of reference monitors (well, expensive for me anyway!), plus two sets of desktop speakers, of different quality, hanging off different audio interfaces. In addition, I have an ancient single speaker thingy which lets me listen in mono to make sure everything is cutting through OK. But that might be over the top, I admit, and I don't use that so much these days. This obsession with audio quality comes from my audio editing days but I think they are good habits.

Worth perhaps bearing in mind that lots more people are watching video on their iPhones, iPods, netbooks etc on the train and in airports (and in my case, in bed - best time to catch up for me!). Those people will be listening with headphones or earbuds, so if you want to make sure your sound is right for them, check it on headphones as well.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...