Importing Photoshop layers into Vegas at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 11th, 2010, 03:35 AM   #1
Trustee

Importing Photoshop layers into Vegas

I read somewhere that Vegas 9d allows for importing Photoshop images into Vegas and retaining the layers.

I took this to mean that when an image was imported, the separate layers could go to different time lines.

Is this correct?

If so how do I go about doing it?

I have a project that involves an Illustrator file with 75 layers, which I can convert into a Photoshop file. It would be fantastic if the layers could all go separately into Vegas to be controlled there.

I have contacted Sony support, but it seems like they put hurdles in the way of getting such information...
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 05:01 AM   #2
New Boot

Right-click psd file and drag to timeline. Select from pop-up. Voila!!!
Chris Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 05:05 AM   #3
Inner Circle

From the 9.0d readme:

Added support for importing layered PSD files across tracks.

All you do is import a PSD file, right-click and drag it to the timeline and choose "Add Across Tracks" from the menu.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 01:28 PM   #4
Trustee

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

Only 75 layers turn out to take ages to process!!!!
Old May 11th, 2010, 08:15 PM   #5
Major Player

wow...
now i'm interested in 9.
hmmm...
Sam Houchins II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 11:39 PM   #6
Old Boot

Yup! It is truly amazing. Been asking for this ever since I was producing layered work I want to float text between the "layered" images.

Here are some experiments to try out:

* Compositing of those separated layers.

* Layers affecting each other

* Text Floats between Layers ( try this using ProTypeTitler

* (this is a real hoot!) 3-D manipulation of each layer

* Exploding or Colliding of Layers

* Use the Vegas script to Export directly to your Graphics Editor > Separation Layer > Import Back and THEN select the separate Streams.

SCS slipped this feature in amongst the VP9d iteration. If you don't experiment with it, you are truly missing out on a major graphic assist.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 01:39 AM   #7
Trustee

Grazie

Thanks for your thoughts.

How many layers do you normally work with?

As you will have noticed I said have 75 in my image, but the whole thing really took a loong time to process.

This image is going to be used as a major focal point of a DVD presentation of material I have been working for 30 years (which at last is coming to fruition), with layers being built up during the presentation.

But it will also be used in conjunction with several green screened camera angles which also uses up processing power. While it will be a fantastic feature to use in this project, I can see I may have to save the image in several parts so that Vegas doesn't have to process the lot at the same time.

Any other thoughts on this?
Old May 13th, 2010, 08:20 AM   #8
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan View Post
How many layers do you normally work with?
. . er . . something a little less than 75 - 'bout 70 less!

I'd love to see what it is you are working on that you have/want to bring in 75 layers? Sounds fabulous!

Grazie
Old May 13th, 2010, 01:58 PM   #9
Trustee

It's actually an Illustrator image which I've drawn and which is illustrating worldview concepts. To get it into Vegas I have to bring it into Photoshop first.

The image begins with foundational ideas then different elements are added and some are changed. I've put every 'idea/change' on a separate layer so they can be worked on and introduced separately. Being able to manipulate the layers in Vegas will be great, especially when the new concepts are introduced.

I'm not going to bother to work out precisely how to do it at the moment, as I'm not at production stage yet - working on the latter part of the project script. But it's nice to know about and have a general idea of how it works so I can be thinking of various ways of using it in the final production.

As the script is nearing completion, I'm turning my attention to the production, especially the filming, basic composition, etc. It will be in front of green screens and I'm thinking of using three cameras so I have variety of angles to choose from to provide interest...
Old May 14th, 2010, 03:35 AM   #10
Old Boot

This has been my humbler attempts with this new feature. Love it!

I'm understanding how to order and reorder Streams (here read Layers!) back in Vegas. ALSO try using the Trimmer to lay-off streams and Right Click Drag as TAKE!! - Neato.

Hope you like it . . .

Grazie
Attached Images
File Type: psd Sample of the original PsP Layered PS.psd (90.8 KB, 385 views)
Attached Files
File Type: wmv PSD Layers From VP9d.wmv (6.26 MB, 281 views)
Old May 14th, 2010, 05:14 AM   #11
Trustee

Graham, that's really cool. Would you mind posting the .VEG file too? I want to learn how you handled the motion as that's a weak area for me in Vegas.

Also, please explain why some layers are Raster and others Vector? Are there advantages to one over the other?

Thanks
Old May 14th, 2010, 11:58 AM   #12
Regular Crew

+1 on how you did that :)
Thomas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 12:37 AM   #13
Old Boot

The Raster was a layer that I converted from a Vector circular shape that I had added some granulation/transparency.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...