How to render 1024x768 MPEG 2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 8th, 2010, 01:37 PM   #1
Major Player

How to render 1024x768 MPEG 2?

I've crafted an opening video for a conference in Vegas Pro 9e using HDV 1080i footage and graphics. On showsite they are using a Grass Valley Turbo hard drive playback unit, sending video to two video projectors at 1024x768 resolution. Backup is DVD playback.

This resolution is neither high definition nor standard definition. The Turbo likes MPEG 2 files best, it takes a very long time to load other formats. Could someone please offer a few tips on how to create an MPEG 2 widescreen format render with embedded audio? I don't see this as a preset in Vegas, and haven't found a custom setting that allows these dimensions. Thanks!

Sam
Sam Renkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 02:32 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

I think I'd just render out like rendering to a standard DVD.

You didn't mention which version of Vegas you're using. The Pro version allows you to click on "Custom" and change settings so it is possible to enter 1024x768 as the size. I'd definitely test it to make sure it works, though.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 03:45 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Ed, I'm using Pro 9e. Let me give you a bit more information, because my workflow isn't allowing to create the MPEG-2 custom size I need.

When I render the file, I select MainConcept MPEG-2 as the "save as" format. The templates available do not include a custom setting - so I click on the "custom" button to the right. I enter a custom size (1088 x 720 pixels) at a high quality variable bit rate, and embed the audio. But when I click OK, I get an error message "an error occured while creating the media file (file name).mpg. The reason for the error could not be determined." Any thoughts of why this might be happening?

Thanks for you help!
Old June 8th, 2010, 03:46 PM   #4
Major Player

A bit more info if you need: Vista SP2 64-bit running on a Core i7 920 PC w/8GB RAM, external eSATA drive for project files, internal drive for rendered files.
Old June 9th, 2010, 07:32 AM   #5
Inner Circle

You are likely confined to the standards, that's why it won't let you render to a non-standard video size.

Do you have access to any other MPEG2 encoder?
Old June 9th, 2010, 08:16 AM   #6
Major Player

Not yet - got any recommendations? Delivery in this format represents a small portion of my work (3-5 projects a year) so I'm hoping to invest a minimum in additional software and plug-ins for this. Thanks!
Old June 9th, 2010, 09:58 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Sam, see if this works for you.
Render it out using a customized HDV 1080-60i template.
The size will end up being 1040 X 768.
The file will be in .m2t format but just change it to .mpg and see if that works in the Grass Valley Turbo unit.
I just tried it here and had no problem playing back the renamed test file using VLC player as well as bringing it back into Vegas.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 04:08 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Renkin View Post
Not yet - got any recommendations?!
Both Edius and Procoder will encode to 'generic mpeg' where you can customize the size.
Old June 9th, 2010, 04:41 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Haven't tried it but maybe set you project settings to the desired size and then when rendering choose "use project settings"

Personally I would render out as a .avi (normal size) resize with Vitrual Dub, then use TMPGenc to encode...
Thomas Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2010, 10:11 AM   #10
Trustee

I just tried a test in Vegas Pro 8 using 1080i (1440x1080) camera footage in a standard HDV template timeline set to match the source material.
Rendering with Main Concept mpeg-2, pick the "Default Template", then select Custom and enter 1024x768. It rendered just fine for me. (Don't select "stretch video to fill output frame" of course or the aspect ratio will be way off...)

Last edited by Jay Massengill; June 10th, 2010 at 08:25 PM.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2010, 06:32 PM   #11
Major Player

Is it because the projectors are projecting at 1024x768 that those are your target dimensions?
I have a projector with that resolution, but it accepts a variety of input resolutions, without negative consequences to my eyes.
I wonder if that would relieve you of your burden altogether?
Sam Houchins II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2010, 09:00 PM   #12
Major Player

Thanks everyone, I'll try several of the suggestions. Sam - we tried to downscale the projector resolution and also up-convert the 720x480 but it still appeared somewhat pixelated.

Sam
Old June 12th, 2010, 11:04 PM   #13
Major Player

Mine is auto. It always shows 1024x768, and will interpolate everything input into it to automatically match that. Hope something works for you :-)

Afterthought...
Mine even accepts a 1080i signal, and does what it needs automatically to display through its 1024x768 resolution, just uses a portion of it's total display (like black bars). Just make sure you're connecting between the Hard Drive and the projector with cabling that carries a HiDef signal, such as component, component-to-vga, DVI, or HDMI. Otherwise the Hard Drive may knock down the resolution if using lower res cable, like s-video or composite, and then the projector will step it back up to 1024x768. Too many interpolating steps will crap out the image, as well as the cable type.

Sorry if you've already considered this!

Last edited by Sam Houchins II; June 12th, 2010 at 11:20 PM. Reason: afterthought
Sam Houchins II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2010, 07:51 PM   #14
Major Player

Thanks Sam, I didn't have control over the patching between Turbo and projectors. These were Christie 10k projectors on a corporate show, supplied by a reputable AV staging & production company. Maybe next time I'll ask a few questions first!
Sam Renkin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...