Best mobo for i7 920? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 23rd, 2010, 01:00 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson View Post
Did CS5 enable GPU based render support in Premier?
Yup. Through the Adobe Mercury playback engine.
Bruce Watson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2010, 09:07 PM   #17
Regular Crew

How would having support for GPU rendering prevent it from working on any current platforms? Is there any reason it could/would not be optional, or only turn itself on if compatible hardware and drivers were found? As it is, there *is* a video render plugin for Vegas both for AMD and NVidia GPUs, why not just integrate it? I might add that Vegas is far form a *Run on anything* program. If by *anything* you mean Microsoft XP 32bit, Vista 32/64 bit and Windows 7 32 and 64 bit sure. But no Mac, no Linux/BSD/Unix/etc. I have never heard them make such a claim and I've never thought of it that way. To me it's simply the best, and most intuitive NLE I've run across.
Matteo Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 01:21 PM   #18
Trustee

Show me a viable professional video editor for the entry professional market on Linux/Unix and I'll show you the deed to the Golden Gate bridge with my name on it. :-)
Edit: I should point out that I HAVE invested a significant amount of time discussing the lack of OSS NLE options with several people for whom an OSS solution is a high priority. Unfortunately aside from some real ugly hacks, some unintuitive apps, frame-serving, and use of several programs in tandum, the options are not good.

Yes by every platform I was speaking of Windows and I should have specified that I mean hardware.

The addition of Native GPU support is indeed interesting. I always prefer native support over 3rd party plugins because I know there is buy-in from the company that owns the program.

I have yet to see a Mac user that was interested in anything but Mac solutions / apps for professional products. People use a Mac because of the apps that run on it, so missing Vegas for Mac is like missing a 3rd arm..... very few were interested in that extra arm any way.

I just spoke with a premier user this weekend and even GPU support is not likely to raise the likability of Premier for certain classes of users (mostly the laptop based gfx / designer crowd which completely lacks GPU's with any horsepower).

But I am glad to see the GPU support added to CS5's lineup. May be that will put some more pressure on Sony for native support in Vegas. We see from history that thanks to great work by VASST/Excalibur, Sony eventually provided multi-cam functions to their product, so hopefully the 3rd party plugin you reference will sufficiently spur Sony on to implement that functionality.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2010, 11:24 PM   #19
Regular Crew

back to the MB question: I just got my ASRock X58 Extreme 3 working and I'm satisfied. It's a good, cheap motherboard that overclocks quite well with my i7 940 (for which I paid only $225 on Amazon.com with free shipping). Today I set it up for 3.975 gHz and got a render time of 2:42 on the new RENDERTEST-2010 (Sony Creative Software - Forums - Vegas Pro - Video Messages). According to Tomshardware, it's one of the more stable MB's for overclocking.

Highest core temp occasionally reached 73 degrees C, which Intel says is OK for extended periods. However, by cutting speed back just a notch, I got 2:43 seconds, with highest core temp of 70 degrees C - a prudent temperature indeed (with ambient temperature of 71 degrees F).

I used a Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme heatsink with Arctic Silver 5 paste (the TX-3 that Tuniq supplied gave me terrible results). I found it on ebay for a few dollars less than at NewEgg.

Total cost for this build, including 12 GB memory, an OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W 80%+ power supply, and a GT240 graphics card, was about $850 (purchasing items that were on sale at NewEgg). If you don't have a spare case, add maybe $50 to that figure.

Total time to reinstall programs (more than 100 of them): just minutes. I made an image of my old boot disk, put it on another hard drive, popped it into the new computer, then ran the Win7-64bit Microsoft installation disk in Upgrade option to install all the drivers for the new hardware. It took the machine a few hours to do all that, but not my time, and all seems to work pretty well except for a minor glitch with my VMWare Player virtual machine, which I use for browsing the web with a Linux appliance. Maybe if I update some of the drivers I'll get that to work properly too - or maybe I'll just need to re-install it.

I can't activate the Win7-64bit upgrade over the internet. But, hopefully, I'll be able to do it when offices open again on Monday and I can talk to a person at Microsoft. If not, I'm out another $150 if I pay M$ directly, or at least $65 if I buy (again) from Buy Cheap Software - Best Prices on Software Anywhere. Cheap Antivirus, Internet security, MS Office, Windows 7, Windows Server, DVD Burning, Windows XP, SQL, Exchange, Word, Excel, OEM Licensing, Retail Software and get another upgrade disk with a new serial number. We'll see . . .

If you want a nice motherboard with SATA6 (and a total of 6 SATA connections, plus one eSATA), and USB 3, you might want to look at this ASRock.
Larry Reavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 09:08 AM   #20
Major Player

That's the one i'm gunning for next. I have everything but the Mobo sitting in the office.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 11:45 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Reavis View Post
I can't activate the Win7-64bit upgrade over the internet. But, hopefully, I'll be able to do it when offices open again on Monday and I can talk to a person at Microsoft.
Actually, you can activate Win7 64-bit upgrade by phone even on weekends and late nights. This is because the phone activation does not go to a live person unless your activation attempt through the automated phone activation system fails for some reason. If your online activation fails you should have gotten a random code which you submit to Microsoft's automated activation system for phone activation. When the automated activation system asks you how many computers you have the copy of Windows installed on, you should ALWAYS answer "1" ("One"); any other number would trigger the weekday-only live technical support because the automated phone activation procedure would then fail after you entered the multi-number code. The live technical support person may advise you to purchase an additional Windows license, which would cost the same price as the full list price for a retail upgrade copy of the same edition of Windows (since all currently available retail copies of Windows are licensed for use on only one PC at a time). At present, those prices for the additional licenses are $120 for Home Premium, $200 for Professional and $220 for Ultimate (the same as the full retail prices for the upgrade copies).

Also, did you install the upgrade on an empty hard drive? If so, you have installed only a trial version, and you will need to run the upgrade setup again on top of that trial install (perform this setup in Windows).
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2010, 02:36 PM   #22
Regular Crew

it worked! thanks much for the tips.

I also got VMWare Player working by uninstalling and re-installing. All is well with the world.
Larry Reavis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...