newbie question..how do i get virtual dub to recognize shortened .veg clips in vegas at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 1st, 2010, 09:57 AM   #1
Regular Crew

newbie question..how do i get virtual dub to recognize shortened .veg clips in vegas

i am cutting clips of avi files from cineform neoscene. how do i get virutal dub to recognize the .veg files..i have windows 7 64bit i7930, fairly good computer just purchased, downloaded 32 bit virutal dub and deshaker, have a trouble ticket into cineform, just frustrated. want to deshake clips. bill
William Boehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2010, 10:35 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Virtualdub is not going to recognize .veg files. You'll need to render to AVI in Vegas, selecting the Cineform or other codec, then take the resulting file into Virtualdub.

Perhaps it would be helpful if you posted the workflow you're using, just a step-by-step outline of the process..
Old July 1st, 2010, 10:55 AM   #3
Regular Crew

my work flow...1.transfering hdv tapes on a canon xha1 and captured from the camera into the neoscene codec cf avi files on the computer (recognized as cfhd). virtual dub doesnt recognize them. 2. new canon hfs100 vixia avchd files captured by again cineform 4 neoscene onto the computer. again they are cdhd avi files i believe. installed virutal dub 32 bit onto my windows 7 I 7d930 machine, and virtual dub doesnt recognize either. shortened the clips in vegas 9 which i noticed when i saved as..went to a .veg file. thanks for your help, and the experience you bring to the forum. bill
Old July 1st, 2010, 12:24 PM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

Here's the bottom line - VirtualDub will recognize VIDEO files for which you have the proper codec installed. If VirtualDub will not load the video file, the necessary codec is not available. If Vegas will load the files, you could then render them out to a video format that VirtualDub WILL read.

The next part is the VEG files. A VEG file is a Vegas PROJECT file. It is not a video file. Therefore VirtualDub will never load a VEG file as there's no video there to load.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2010, 02:00 PM   #5
Regular Crew

ed..what you stated has already been assumed in my question. i am trying to understand if anyone has had success loading cfhd files whether from hdv or avchd avi files into virtual dub. i have posted this in the cineform section...no answer; sent cineform a trouble ticket, along with a few files..no answer yet. thus i was hoping that .veg files might work....it hasnt for me but it supposedly did for another member.
Old July 1st, 2010, 02:32 PM   #6
Sponsor: JET DV

If Vegas can see the Cineform files, I'm really surprised that VirtualDub can't. One would think that with Neoscene installed that VirtualDub would read them fine.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2010, 04:43 PM   #7
Regular Crew

any other cineform and virtual plug users out there?
Old July 2nd, 2010, 10:58 AM   #8
Regular Crew

with a cineform avi file..here is the reading error when i open up the file.."COULDNT LOCATE DECOMPRESSOR FOR FORMAT 'CFHD' (UNKNOWN) . VirtualDub requires a Video for Windows (VFW) compatable decompress video. DirectShow codecs, such as those used by Windows Media Player, are not suitable." I am using deinerlaced 60 i when i shot with both the canon xha1 hdv, and the more recent avchd canon sfh100 converted to avi. Please help...bill
Old July 2nd, 2010, 04:15 PM   #9
Regular Crew

i have no problems with virdub( 64 bit) recognizing cineform AVI, the problem must be someware in your codecs. You should probably reinstall cineform
bye
Mitja Popovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 10:10 AM   #10
Regular Crew

thanks to all for help. i was instructed by cineform to reinstall neoscene 5.04, and it worked, now recognizing all my cfhd files.
William Boehm is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...