Slo-mo problem in Vegas at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 2nd, 2010, 05:13 PM   #1
Major Player

Slo-mo problem in Vegas

I don't know what I did wrong. I filmed the majority of this video in 60i with a 1/1000 shutter. In Vegas I slowed down the footage and rendered to 30p. I have tried rendering it to an interlaced file, I have tried different formats, etc. and nothing seems to work. What's weird is when I watch it in the preview window it plays just as it should. The last part of the video was me testing combining 60i footage with 30p footage in the same file. Is there a reason why it's stuttering like this??

YouTube - Testing a Messed Up Render
Patrick Janka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 06:08 AM   #2
Major Player

looks like wrong field order (upper vs lower)
Old July 4th, 2010, 08:37 AM   #3
Major Player

Your video is 60i interlaced and you render your video in 30P. I think that is caused your problem. You should only render in 30P if your camera shoot 30P. Try to render 29,97 template. or wrong field order?
Bruce Phung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2010, 09:28 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Try right clicking your clip on the time line, select properties, and then disable re-sampling.
Old July 6th, 2010, 02:21 AM   #5
Major Player

Brian, your solution got me halfway there. I also had to switch from Blend to Interpolate in De-interlacing method. Is disabling re-sampling something that has to be done every time I use interlaced footage? Also, what is the best way to combine clips of different frame rates? When adjusting the project settings it assumes you're only using one frame rate. In this case I used 60i, but the 30p stuff at the end didn't seem to get affected adversely. Is that because 30 is a multiple of 60? If I placed a 24fps clip in there would it have issues?
Patrick Janka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 03:50 AM   #6
Trustee

My experience with Vegas is that it is terrible at handling interlaced footage but quite good at de-interlacing.

I shoot everything at 50i currently, but always edit on a 25p Vegas timeline with the properties set to "field order: none" and "deinterlace method: Interpolate."

It seems to do a good job of deinterlacing all my footage and getting rid of interlacing artifacts, but when I slow rootage down then all the "B" field gets thrown back into the mix to give you better resampling results. I've always left my clip poperties to "smart resampling" and unless I'm going to super slow motion (like 15% or something like that) it usally gives very acceptable results.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2010, 03:49 PM   #7
Major Player

Project set to 29.97 progressive with none for deinterlace.
Make sure snap to frames is enabled
Drop 60i clip into timeline
Set clip properties to .5 speed and check do not resample
Stretch clip out so the whole clip is viewable (now that it's playing at half speed)
Render out to 29.97 progressive

Not sure that will work, but I think so. Also, this is one case where you kind of DON'T want to deinterlace first because you want to take each interlaced half frame that runs at 60i and map each to one frame running at 30p. Depending on where you delace, you could end up unnecessarily losing temporal or spatial resolution. Not sure that makes sense...
Old July 6th, 2010, 07:28 PM   #8
Regular Crew

So it sounds like there are three issues at play here:

1. Re-sampling the images when you are using the velocity curve to create slow motion.
2. Interlaced images are being converted to progressive.
3. Different frames rates are being used.

1. Anytime I use the velocity curve to slow down footage I disable re-sampling. John mentioned he does this around 15%, my preference is to always do it as I believe the image stays sharper, but its personal preference.

2. I agree with John that Ive found Vegas is pretty good at de-interlacing. In the project properties however, Ive usually set the de-interlace method to blend fields. Need to play with this as I have not used much interlaced footage lately. If de-interlace works than thats the setting to use! Im fairly sure its a lot easier to convert a progressive image to interlaced (basically split the fields), than it is to create progressive from interlaced. In the latter case, there is interpolation and/or other math going on to combine the fields to a progressive image.

3. How I work is I set the project properties to the frame rate I intend to deliver in. Vegas does a good job of dealing with different frame rates for you. If you use 24p, then pulldown will be implemented. As an example, I setup a lot of 1280x720p29.97 projects. I will use 1280x720p59.94 footage in it quite a bit and either slow it by half to 29.97 or even slower. I tend not to mix 24 fps footage with projects that are not 24p, although most of my interests are in fast moving subjects. i.e. Im usually looking to shoot as high a frame rate as possible, and always shoot progressive.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...