Mouse zoom wheel on timeline. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 22nd, 2010, 05:00 PM   #16
Trustee

Logitech M305 works fine,
Old September 29th, 2010, 01:25 PM   #17
Regular Crew

It sounds like some of you have Microsoft mice, particularly the Laser mouse series that don't have a problem with the wheel. Could anyone who has it working post what mouse driver they are using?

I'd like to see if it works with my troublesome Laser Mouse 6000.
Peter Greis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 07:02 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I got tired of the lack of timeline zoom with my Micro$oft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000, found a Logitec wireless M505 on sale for $18.99 and now the timeline zoom works. No cord, four way scrolling and works properly. Recommended.
Old February 10th, 2011, 03:59 AM   #19
Major Player

WELL You learn something new every day. I'd never heard of the mouse wheel effecting a zoom in and out on the timeline of Vegas, so I tried it using my VMS10 and it works perfectly. I am presuming that users of Windows 7 are the ones having this problem With XP there does not seem to be a problem. Perhaps the problem lies with microsoft and not Sony, But what do I know? I have only one major grumble with Sony as far as Vegas VMS10 is concerned and that is the help. It is very good once you know what their outlandish terms mean in Simple English. For example I wanted to know how to move the whole video track to the right without the clips(events in their jargon) overlapping each other. It was just sheer luck that I discovered it was called Slipping all takes (Not moving all events). No wonder the Forum is full of queries. If you examine the contents of most threads I think you will find that the majority are questions of how to do things and not complaints of faults. Thank God for this forum, without it I would have given up on Vegas long ago.
Roy Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 08:14 AM   #20
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
I am presuming that users of Windows 7 are the ones having this problem With XP there does not seem to be a problem.

You would be presuming incorrectly. It's not a Windows error. It's a mouse driver error. The problem can also happen on XP.

Using the wheel is a great way for quickly zooming in or out of the timeline - been using it for 10 years now!
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 08:40 AM   #21
Major Player

I stand corrected in my assumption. I made the assumption as nobody with XP seems to have reported the trouble on this forum. Fortunately I have not got the problem and I have tried three different mice(Mouses). I would be interested to know from XP users if they have had the problem and how they cured it, if at all.
Roy Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 02:22 PM   #22
Regular Crew

It's interesting that a similar thread has been running in the Sony Vegas forum at:-

Sony Creative Software - Forums - Vegas Pro - Video Messages

I'm using the Microsoft wireless mouse 5000 but have been unable to zoom in and out of the Timeline even though I have tried changing the mouse's properties shown in Control Panel. It's irritating as the mouse wheel used to make it so easy.

Richard
Richard Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 10:27 PM   #23
Regular Crew

I've checked DVInfo, SCS forums and the Micro$oft support forums for several months. The problem is not consistent. Some folks have the problem with Micro$oft mice and some don't, no matter the hardware and software lineup. The Micro$oft mice are relegated to the junkbox.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 08:36 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Re: Mouse zoom wheel on timeline.

To complete my story, I've just bought another wireless mouse and this has solved the problem. Really annoying to be forced into doing this but at least this mouse does the zoom properly. Pity Microsoft couldn't get this right!

Richard
Old May 29th, 2011, 12:21 AM   #25
Regular Crew

I'm using the "MS Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000" and have the same problem. I've always used Logitech mouse in the past, and this is my first time trying another brand. Back to Logitech it is.
Ken Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2011, 01:39 AM   #26
Regular Crew

I don't think anyone has mentioned if the scroll wheel is working ok in other applications, for example can you scroll internet explorer or any other window for that matter. If it does then it's obviously not an O/S, or mouse problem.

RichardG
Richard Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2011, 04:20 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Yes, the Microsoft Mousescroll wheel works OK in other applications which seems to be Peter Gries' experience as well (see above). So are you suggestiong that it's not a Microsoft or Mouse Driver problem but one that lies within Vegas?

Richard
Old May 29th, 2011, 04:38 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Hi Richard,
I can't see how it can be a mouse problem or O/S if the mouse works ok elsewhere.
I can tell you that I have vegas 10c on xp and 10d on win 7 and my mouse scroll works fine on
both systems, and yes it does zoom the timeline in vegas.
Both mice are using the standard microsoft driver and both mice have "tails"! one is USB and one is PS2.
So not sure what your problem is, strange that it's ok in windows and other applications, I would suspect vegas or something in vegas, a plugin maybe which is conflicting with the driver.

If you are using intellipoint drivers I think there are different mouse profiles in the control panel, you could always try using the Basic Mouse setting.

Regards
Richard

Last edited by Richard Green; May 29th, 2011 at 04:52 AM. Reason: missed a point
Richard Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2011, 06:11 AM   #29
Sponsor: JET DV

Richard and Richard, I personally *DO* think it's a driver issue. Even if it works in other programs, it could still be a driver issue. Otherwise, why would ANY mouse work in Vegas?
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2011, 07:01 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Hi Edward,
Must be an issue between driver and application, but not neccessarily the drivers fault. I just
found this link, which makes interesting reading in particular method 5.
Microsoft Mouse inconsistent behavior of scroll wheel and button - Microsoft Answers

RichardG
Richard Green is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...