Pre Render Confusion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 11th, 2010, 02:06 PM   #1
Major Player

Pre Render Confusion

I am working on a video that is 15 minutes long. The first 5 minutes are several small split clips. I would like to render these all into 1 clip that will be used in the complete video. Is this where I would pre render? If so..what format do I use ? I am assuming that this is where the pre render comes in?

Thanks..
Old December 11th, 2010, 03:03 PM   #2
Inner Circle

If they are DV clips (sd) then place a region aound those clips (highlight all and press R) go to FILE>Render As...choose AVI render to that. Replace clips on TL with rendered AVI, set to go.

I must ask though why you feel the need to replace those clips. Just curious.
Old December 11th, 2010, 05:46 PM   #3
Major Player

Don...

For starters I am frustrated...I love to shoot video, but I have a weekness and its learning this Vegas program. I seem to slide all those lil clips to the left, to the right, etc...and then i mess up and forget one and throws the whole video out of whack!

I click auto ripple, and sometimes it moves some of the tracks sometimes all of them-"affected tracks" does that mean just the track that is highlighted?? or all of them ARRGH!

So i was just thinking it would be easier if i did a pre render off all those lil clips.

Today I have speant most the day trying to master color correction in Vegas... I have to find some tutorials on this subject too....

Im learning.... but im old, and my days could be numbered! LOL
Old December 11th, 2010, 09:53 PM   #4
Inner Circle

OK first thing is TURN OFF AUTO RIPPLE. THAT will get you in trouble. ;-)

When I edit, and I cut something I am generally cutting the audio track as well. If that's the case and it's only 1 audio and 1 videotrack then Auto ripple can be fine BUT I want to control the rippple so here's a few tricks.

If you have 1 or multiple tracks and you cut thru them all, after you delete the section you want gone then double click on the EMPTY area use Control X then Control F. Clips to the right will Ripple to the left.
If you have multiple tracks but only want to cut the video track and move the clips to the left after you remove the section of video you want gone then pull the next section to the left hit Control F and the rest of the clips will follow OR right click on the first clip (event) to move then in the menu goto Select Events to End, pull to the left and you're set.
Ripple is fine but you need to be very careful with it as it CAN really screw you up. Also if I'm working with very small clips such as if I'm cutting to a fast beat, I'll expand the timeline so the clips don't look like slivers and less likely to be accidentally moved.
Vegas has it's own workflow and yeah I've been using it since version 2 was in it's infancy but I'm still always finds new ways to do something and the best part is Vegas can do most things 2 or more different ways. The more you play with it the better off you'll be. Keep playing and asking questions.
Old December 12th, 2010, 07:41 AM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ruhland View Post
I am working on a video that is 15 minutes long. The first 5 minutes are several small split clips. I would like to render these all into 1 clip that will be used in the complete video. Is this where I would pre render?
No. That is not a "pre-render". Instead, you would simply File - Render As and output to a new file which you would then use from that point forward. Alternately, you can always just drag that VEG file to a new project and use it without rendering. That's called a "nested VEG file". Do a search for that in the help file.

Pre-renders simply let you render something out so you can preview it at full framerate. However, they're not "sticky" - if you make a change that affects that area, it would then become unrendered again. Alternately, you might look at the "Render to new track" option which will create a new rendered file AND automatically place it on a new track.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2010, 08:52 AM   #6
Major Player

[QUOTE= Keep playing and asking questions.[/QUOTE]

Okay..so I am playing and gonna ask a question...I have 5 clips all on one time line, I want to apply the color correction/video effect to all of them at the same time...I am thinking that I have to Pre Render to do this...is this correct, or is there a magic keystroke to apply effect to all clips at the same time?
Old December 12th, 2010, 10:25 AM   #7
Inner Circle

OK I'll Play. ;-)

David forget the term "pre-render". That's best used for previewing an FX filled clip at full or near full frame rate. You also don't need to "render" the clips out but you could. To CC those clips at one time there are a couple of things you can do.
1) Place the clips you want to CC on a seperate track from the other clips in the project, apply the CC at the TRACK LEVEL and you're done.
2) You can apply the CC to 1 of the clips and then copy and paste the event attributes to the other clips HOWEVER anything else done to that clips will also apply to the other clips.
3) You can apply the CC to the clips in the MEDIA POOL HOWEVER any thing further down the TL that you DON'T want CC'd that's a part of that clip in the Media Pool will also be corrected.

My recommendation is to apply the Color Correction at the TRACK LEVEL with the clips that get the SAME CC on that track.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...