Original Clip Timecode in Timecode Window? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 10th, 2010, 09:04 AM   #1
New Boot

Original Clip Timecode in Timecode Window?

I know how to get it so that the clip's original timecode will show at the start, middle and end of the event on the timeline (Prefs-Video - show source frame numbers on event thumbnails as - timecode) - but how can I get it so that I can have a more accurate running timecode of each clip, like you can have a timecode window for the timeline? Is this possible?

Thanks
Jon Brady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2010, 09:25 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Drop the timecode effect on the clip in the Project Media. That will show the original timecode from the original clip on the preview screen.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2010, 05:34 PM   #3
New Boot

That just shows the timecode of the clip length rather than the timecode that the camera printed? I'm talking about the TC in-camera.
Old December 10th, 2010, 07:58 PM   #4
Inner Circle

If you do what Edward said, then you'll see source time code.
If you have at least Pro 9, run the "Add Timecode to All Media" script and it will do the same thing.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2010, 05:07 AM   #5
New Boot

I can't drag an effect onto project media, cursor turns into a red circle with a line through it.

I'm using both 7 and 9, would ideally like a method for both...

How would I run a script?

Thanks
Old December 11th, 2010, 07:03 AM   #6
Inner Circle

In 7, right click on the file while it's still in the project Media tab, select Media FX and choose Sony Timecode.
In 9, go Tools - Scripting - Add Timecode to All Media.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2010, 08:37 AM   #7
Sponsor: JET DV

If I remember correctly, the script goes back much farther than version 9. I was thinking it first appeared in version 5 or 6. In all versions of Vegas Pro, you can get to the scripts by going to Tools - Scripting.

If you just click on a clip in the Project Media, there's a "Media FX..." button in the Project Media toolbar. Or, as Mike said, right-click the clip in the Project Media and choose "Media FX..." When added in the project media, it shows the original SOURCE timecode which is what I thought I said the first time and what I thought you were asking for.

Remember, you have to go back to the Project Media and remove the effect to remove the timecode overlay. If you run the add script, you can run the remove script to remove them.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2010, 06:17 PM   #8
New Boot

Ah brilliant, thanks very much for this!
Jon Brady is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...