Croping Full HD for Musiv Video look. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 15th, 2010, 05:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Croping Full HD for Musiv Video look.

Hey.

Im interested in how to set up crop for a 1920x1080 fotage so that it has those music video Borders.

YouTube - Eminem - Not Afraid

Like we can see here.

I did load this video on full hd, then went full screen, took a screenshot. And then put it in vegas and adjusted the crop like so. But something seems a bit off.

As i compared, to get the look as in the Eminem's vid, i need to crop it with 705 height with "move in y only" and "size about center" on.

Could some one clarify this for me please?

Edited: I downloaded Eminem- Not Afraid(full hd) put it into time line and now im geting a 770 height. Interesting
Gustavs Repse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 08:14 PM   #2
Trustee

There is a much easier way to get the 2.39:1 look,
I did this for ages before I got First Light which has a framing preset to do it for you.
You dont want to be mucking about with aspects and cropping,
just grab your screen shot you said you took, drop a black solid media generator on the track above,
lower the opacity of the black to 50%,
open its pan crop window and select mask,
draw a mask along the edges of the black framing to match the framing of the original clip, just 4 mask anchors in a square,
When its neat, lift the opacity back to full.
You are done, now solo your new black border track, take a snapshot and save to file as a PNG
Now you always have it ready to drop over any video to give it that 2.39:1 look.
:)
Old December 16th, 2010, 03:10 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Ye, sounds lot simpler than croping each individual shot.

But the problem with our method is that you cant rly changee the area ur croping. You can have ur actors head cut off totaly and cant do a lot about it as i undarstand. But iwht pan crop you can move the screen up and down expose the right bits.
Old December 16th, 2010, 03:30 AM   #4
Trustee

See the attached pic, you can do exactly what you want to do very easily.
Attached Thumbnails
Croping Full HD for Musiv Video look.-vegas-snip-2.jpg  
Old December 16th, 2010, 05:25 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thats exactly what im doing :) , for each clip individualy. W/o the Pic, right now, but i defenetely see where it will become a lot more handy latter on.

I gues i have to bouncy shots for ur method to give me a great benefit. Other than that, i do go Pan/crop for each clip and adjust the height of 781 and then adjust the position on Y axis with keyframes. :)

Can you tell me what Height you would get if you would crop the height on y axis from "centered" position to achieve those borders?

Edited: Ust noticed that the Borders i put with pan/crop dont effect the transition parts. Transition like "Soft Flash" simply owerrides the borders.

Last edited by Gustavs Repse; December 16th, 2010 at 06:06 AM.
Old December 16th, 2010, 06:43 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Webb View Post
There is a much easier way to get the 2.39:1 look,
I did this for ages before I got First Light which has a framing preset to do it for you.
You dont want to be mucking about with aspects and cropping,
just grab your screen shot you said you took, drop a black solid media generator on the track above,
lower the opacity of the black to 50%,
open its pan crop window and select mask,
draw a mask along the edges of the black framing to match the framing of the original clip, just 4 mask anchors in a square,
When its neat, lift the opacity back to full.
You are done, now solo your new black border track, take a snapshot and save to file as a PNG
Now you always have it ready to drop over any video to give it that 2.39:1 look.
:)
I gues i dont get it how to do it.

I dont have a good screan shot, and i dont know how to make one . Yes, Msoft Paint does confuse me :/
Anyway, i did take a full hd video, croped the borders with 781 height (which is the look im looking for, compared to the Eminems vid) and then put a black solid on top of it. I croped the Black solid aswell with 781 height, lovered the opacity, went pan/crop and clicked mask. All i got wasa black square with no guid lines. Well, im missing something . And to the black solid, do i mask out the midle big square or the two smaller squares that are black ?
Old December 16th, 2010, 10:45 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Crackt it :)

Thanks Gerald, got it solved.
Gustavs Repse is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...