Equipment Upgrade Experiences at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 15th, 2011, 07:06 AM   #1
Major Player

Equipment Upgrade Experiences

I've been using the heck out of a fairly inexpensive computer system and it works but I wonder how much easier my life would be with a beefed up system. Anyone upgraded a part of their system that really showed a marked improvement in your video processing workflow??

My system now is

Running Windpows Vista Home Premium
on
Hardware Base processor - Athlon X2 (B) 4050e 2.1 GHz (45W)
2000 MT/s (mega transfers/second)
Socket AM2
Chipset - GeForce 6150SE nForce 430Video Graphics - Integrated graphics

Motherboard - HP/Compaq motherboard name: Iris8-GL6 or Ivy8-GL6

Memory Installed 3 GB
Maximum allowed 4 GB* (2 x 2 GB)
Actual available memory may be less
Speed supported PC2-6400 MB/sec
Type 240 pin, DDR2 SDRAM

Sound/Audio - High Definition 6-channel audio •ALC 888 chipset
Old April 15th, 2011, 07:21 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Re: Equipment Upgrade Experiences

With the price of systems today, I'd consider just getting a current system with Win7 and a current processor.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 08:33 AM   #3
Major Player

I've heard that just going from VISTA to Windows 7 can make life better....

I'm rendering 50 minute HD mp4 clips and It's usually a start before bed and see the finished product in the morning deal.....

Any of you using two computers - one just for rendering, cineform conversion, DVD burning and one for editing so you can multi task?
Old April 15th, 2011, 08:46 AM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

I do have Vegas on multiple machines but always finish a project on the same machine I started it on. I'm just thinking that updating to a faster processor is going to be best served if the other components are also updated as well.

I see you live about 3 hours south of me. Nashville is a nice place for us to visit.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 09:02 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Yes, Edward is right.

The questionyou should be asking is how much you need, how much you have to spend. The key is the processor speed and having 4GB of ram minimum, 6GB is better.

You simply have to choose a system with the fastest processor you can afford, that is the key. Avoid integrated graphics, and you'll be fine.

The new Sandy Bridge is supposed to be very good. That is what I would look at.

But yes, a faster processor will render your 50 min project in a couple of hours at most depending what you buy.
Old April 15th, 2011, 10:22 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Jeff

I'll google Sandy Bridge and check that out.

Yup I was thinking it'd be a rpita to cross a project across two servers...

Think I may get this faster desktop and possibly use the present for other tasks.

Edward give me a call next time your're in Nashville and we'll grab a beer/coffee. My email is harry@harrysimpson.com
Old April 15th, 2011, 10:28 AM   #7
Inner Circle

You might look at the Dell website and the HP website. You can cut through all the research by getting the best Sandy Bridge you can afford, system with dedicated graphics, and you'd be all done.
Old April 15th, 2011, 10:30 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Oh, yeah, insist on a system that come with a disc for reinstallation! Most don't and those folks that don't get that with their purchase are often pretty put out over that. I know I would be.
Old April 19th, 2011, 01:10 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Take a look at the Lenovo W520 notebook which was just release 2 to 3 weeks ago. I just got mine few days back. It has the latest Sandy beach I7 Quad core, 15.6" Full HD LED display and dedicated Nvidia Quadro 2000M Graphic with 2GB DDR3 RAM that supports upto 96 CUDA core. It also supports Intel latest mini mSATA SSD HDD where you can load OS and boot up from it leaving the traditional 2.5" HDD solely for data storage.

Mine has 12GB of RAM and I replaced the DVD writer with a Blu-ray writer. Total cost was $1999 for the notebook, $198 for the mini SATA SSD, $119 for the internal blu-ray writer

I went for this notebook mainly due to it's Expresscard slot availability ( I use SxS card). I am surprised a lot of the newer Sandy Beach Notebooks no longer has Expresscard slot. I think Alienware still has but it is beyond my budget and too heavy to lug around.

I will be loading and testing Vegas 10 these few days but I am confident this NB will pass with flying colors

Last edited by John Woo; April 19th, 2011 at 02:41 AM.
John Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 02:29 PM   #10
Major Player

Sounds like a nice system! Laptop would be nice but I always felt I needed a desktop system cause the video card and the huge number of USB outlets I require...Are you tapping into another system via wifi for printing etc?
Old April 20th, 2011, 03:19 AM   #11
Regular Crew

The notebook have 1 USB 2.0, 2 USB 3.0 and 1 eSata
enough for my usage. When I am at home, I will hook up to my 24" external monitor for editing. If you need more ports, you can buy the docking station which provides up to 6 usb ports

Yes, I use wireless printing
Old April 26th, 2011, 10:01 PM   #12
Major Player

Hi John, what's your experience with the battery life of the W520? The spec sheet says about 10 hours and another website suggests maybe up to 7 hours actual usage. Stills sounds too good to be true. It would sound nice to be able to review video or do some other work on a long flight then go full power running Vegas 10 when you're home/hotel.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...