Vegas on a Mac (no joke) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 23rd, 2011, 08:18 PM   #1
Trustee

Vegas on a Mac (no joke)

I got all excited this morning when I started reading about VMware Fusion and a couple of google results that said real time multi cam editing in Vegas 10... on a Mac.
I spend most of my time in OSX and Vegas is prob the only reason I keep a Windows drive running, so the attraction to finally completely jump over is very enticing.
Anyway, downloaded the VMware 30 day trial,
Installed Windows 7, then Vegas.
Allowed VM Windows to share my Windows data drives,
and opened up a project I had been doing on my "real" Windows.

Im sorry to say that files that would play at Best Full in Windows wont even play at Preview Auto in VMware. Let alone cross fades or any fx.

Does anyone here use this?
Is there a trick to the way you set it up, ie. Ram and CPU allocation for each system ?
Should your source files be on a NTSC drive or MAC OSX Extended drive for ease of reading? Tried both, didnt seem to make much difference.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 09:02 PM   #2
Wrangler

re: Vegas on a Mac (no joke)

Almost every person I've known who has tried this has given up, myself included, the performance of Vegas is abysmal through VMWare, even on a MacPro with 8 cores. In the end Vegas in Windows/Bootcamp performs significantly better.

I know what you mean about what wanting to move fully to the Mac OS, the very last windows app I run is Sony Vegas, there's just nothing that comes close on the Mac side ... but I was very encouraged by the recent FCP X preview, it's very Vegas like. I'm hoping come June I can finally delete my Vegas/Windows/Bootcamp partition.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 09:07 PM   #3
Trustee

wow, so the dream is a myth then.
The guy with the multi cam screen shot of Vegas on his Mac must have waited for it to load and then taken the shot, lol.
Waste of a 30 day trial, it only took 30 mins.
Would love to here from anyone who does have it working and what their Mac or PC specs are.
Old April 25th, 2011, 06:14 AM   #4
Trustee

This is pretty amazing...
Its a video of the new Final Cut Pro being demonstrated at NAB.
It has some amazing features, a lot of them appear to have come from..... our very own Sony Vegas.
At about 12 min in the guy demonstrates how you can now just grab the edge of an audio event and fade it in and out, and then (with gasps of awe from the audience) right click and choose the shape of your fade contour. Sound familiar, lol.

It does look amazing though, if it delivers everything it promises, at $299.00, it could have all the other NLE CEO's rethinking their superannuation schemes.
Old April 25th, 2011, 02:42 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Re: Vegas on a Mac (no joke)

I'm running Vegas 10c 64 bit with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit on an eight core Mac Pro. It works very well.
I installed Win 7 directly to a 2TB internal HDD and dedicated the entire drive to Windows, no VM ware. Since it runs natively it's very fast. For a Blu-ray burner I installed a Pioneer BD-205. DVDA also works well.
The difference in the way I installed is that I didn't start with BootCamp.
Gregory Barringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2011, 08:26 PM   #6
Trustee

Yeah, I do something similar Gregory,
Windows 7 64 bit on an 128gb SSD,
and,
OSX on 2x Raptors that are set up in raid 0.
I just choose which one to boot into via Chameleon right after bios runs.

The downside is you have to re boot to change OS.

Windows and Vegas are always going to run fine on Mac hardware because if you install Windows via boot camp, or on its own drive as we do, you have just made a Windows machine. There is no difference to the way Windows runs just because the box has an Apple on it.

The trick here would be to run Vegas from inside of OSX, which as Michael said has proven to be almost impossible at this time, well, unless you had a super computer.

Now if Sony had a Mac version of Vegas, that would have to be popular.
Looks like it would have to be less than $299. Fat chance.
Old April 26th, 2011, 09:47 AM   #7
Inner Circle

How much was the FCP retail previously? Wasn't it like $1200? I've never heard of a price drop like that for any product. What's behind it? They want to corner the NLE market?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 02:59 PM   #8
Regular Crew

They want to corner the NLE market?

They want to sell more hardware - lowering the price on FCPX makes a buy into a Mac look less costly.
Gene Gajewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 03:33 PM   #9
Major Player

I've ben a Vegas user since V4 and I've been using Vegas under BootCamp on a Mac for more than 3 years now. I don't mind having to reboot to get there because it's a lot less hassle than trying to do a decent crossfade in FCP. And all that rendering... caramba! I just wish I didn't have to deal with Windows.

Brian: When I bought FCS2 I paid $1,200.00 for it. The upgrade to FCS3 was another $300.00. I only use it when a client insists.

The new FCX looks very interesting, however. Gotta admit it. Time will tell.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...