I need a miracle! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 13th, 2011, 08:37 AM   #1
Major Player

I need a miracle!

Do you go with over blown video or with blurry video? Those are my two choices. My question is , is there any way to fix blurry video at all on vegas? worst video editing nightmare I have had to edit.
Lalo Alvidrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 09:07 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: I need a miracle!

Well, if you are going from HD to SD there may be some sharpening when you downconvert. You may want to do a test of that to see if it improves the situation to an acceptable level for the blurry video.

How bad is and what is the nature of the blownout stuff? Strong backlighting or just overall severely overexposed?
Old May 13th, 2011, 09:26 AM   #3
Trustee

Perhaps posting a screen grab might help.

-Garrett
Old May 13th, 2011, 09:41 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Try a bit of both ways, make a DVD, then play it on your television and see which looks best (or worse). This will help you decide.
Old May 13th, 2011, 10:11 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Here's a suggestion for overblown video that I grabbed from the Sony Vegas forum.
Apparently it works extremely well.

Put 3 filters, a "Invert" (at 100%), "Color Corrector", "Invert" (at 100%).
Then, lift up the gamma of the color corrector in the middle.
This darkens highlights first, in the logarithmic fashion, more like a "iris closing" way.
You can also put a color corrector secondary to select reds and lower the gamma a bit.
Also remember, dark or bright may also have to add or remove a bit of saturation on the color corrector filter.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 01:18 PM   #6
Major Player

thanks all. the overexposed vid is all over. mainly a wide shot of a school program. Lost all detail in the faces. The blurry video happened because the camera was set on manual focus and never changed back. close ups are blurred and unfortunately that was the close up cam.
Lalo Alvidrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 02:33 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Good afternoon,

the method mike mentioned works to a degree, its a last ditch save.

One thing I did is use the secondary color corrector to add a slight amount of color to the burnt out areas, again it is a last ditch save. Keep those clips short and as few in number as possible to keep the overall appearance a little nicer in the the big picture. You can possibly also use slightly burnt portions to tie into transitions too.

the focus, well thats just a lesson learnt the old fashioned way. sharpening can only do so much or you start getting bright outlines and such.

Good luck, hope to hear how you made out.
Old May 13th, 2011, 03:19 PM   #8
Inner Circle

You could give them their money back, and give them no video. Then offer to do the next one at half price. I would almost rather do that then give what you're describing to anyone. It will make you look bad. We know that things can happen, and customers can sometimes understand this. But they'll never get over something that looks severely bad.
Old May 15th, 2011, 02:33 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Would I be correct in thinking that this is someone else's footage, brought to you to "save"? That would make a difference, as they are already aware there's a "problem", and anything you manage to pull off IS by definition a miracle...

Unfortunately, unlike the crime shows on TV, you can't create what isn't there, only try to see if there's ANY salvageable data to work with, then try to devise a workable "fix". Blown out is just that, and so is "out" of focus, the data points are simply "out"side the acceptable range, and unless you're extremely lucky, no amount of tweaking sharpness, gamma, brightness, contrast and color will "restore" what simply isn't there... you can always try...

This doesn't sound like sonething where you could go B&W or put some "old time movie" effects on it and pull off an "artistic" save either...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...