DVDA wants to recompress HD video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 24th, 2011, 01:46 PM   #1
Inner Circle

DVDA wants to recompress HD video

I'm rendering 720 60p video to AVC codec, but DVDA wants to recompress it, even though I have matched the project settings,

This is about to be my first attempt at BR, and I wondered is there any reason to render to mainconcept m2t? I've tried that as well but DVDA wants to recompress that as well (and I did change settings in DVDA of course)

Any thoughts?
Old May 24th, 2011, 03:10 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: DVDA wants to recompress HD video

Come on, someone please. I have rendered this video at least 20 times in the last hour and reset DVDA and I'm getting same thing, DVDA wants to recompress. I've use AVC, mainconcept m2t, used the 720p template, and it all comes to the same end. I match DVDA by setting avc and the correct frame size, frame rate, everything, and use templates also. This is starting to get very old.
Old May 24th, 2011, 06:54 PM   #3
Trustee

hi jeff,

can't help directly - skipped blu ray completely and went directly to media players, as have all my clients (thankfully).

the following thread 'might' help you out....

Sony Creative Software - Forums - Vegas Pro - Video Messages

good luck
Old May 24th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Leslie, very interesting thread, and it doesn't help me now, but the information about avc vs mpeg was very good to know!
Old May 25th, 2011, 12:12 AM   #5
Inner Circle

After 9 hours of messing with this and rendering dozens of times to every imaginable configuration, I settled on avc and let DVDA render a second time, which took 4x longer than the Vegas render.

This is absolutely the stupidest crap I can imagine. I have found other threads but there is no answer to this stupidity. Mpeg 2 should, ideally work fine, but doesn't, and neither does avc.

My final disc looks fine, but this was a short 3 minute video project. I will need to burn 90 minute projects soon and I simply cannot tie up my computer for 12-14 hours while DVDA re-renders my work.

I am looking at other authoring software but so I haven't found much.
Old May 25th, 2011, 06:39 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Jeff unless the time is over 2 1/2 hours I use MPEG2. I export from the Vegas timeline using Main Concepts MPEG with Bluray preset ( in my case its always 1920x1080i) Source is usually Canopus HQ from my Edius edit and encode is about real time. I set my chapter points in Vegas and all is then input to DVDA with no re rendering that I have experienced. For this length data rate is about 18000 VBR with max set at 32000 if using WAV audio or 18500 for AC3. DVD will show a RED total at about 23G for the disc. If time is longer I will use TMPGenc with Spurs plugin and encode to AVC. Souce again is Canopus HQ from Edius and I have the Firecoder Blu Canopus card for the Spurs engine. Encode time is again about realtime. File designation needs to be changed to avc for DVD to recognise but will then use without re-encoding.

Anything less than 2 hours and would use MPEG2.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 07:13 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Ron, thanks for your post.

I clearly dont have a grasp of frame rates and what they mean. Allow me to explain.

Instead of rendering to 720 60p as I have been doing, I just now rendered video to mpeg 2 at 720 30p.

Then in DVDA I selected 720 59.940p and it doesn't want to re-render.

Can someone explain to me why this would be so? I didn't think 30p was supported for bluray, at least it's not listed in the specs on wikepedia. Why would DVDA not need to recompres 30p footage when the settings I've chosen in DVDA are 59fps?
Old May 25th, 2011, 07:19 AM   #8
Trustee

Jeff,

30p is not a frame rate in the BR spec. Only 60i or 24p. If you take your 30p footage and render to 729 - 60i it will play as the exact same as 30p. Basically a PsF situation. Not sure why they didn't include 30p in the BR spec but it's not.

If you feed DVDA a 60i it shouldn't rerender the file.

-Garrett
Old May 25th, 2011, 07:27 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Thanks Garrett. But 720 60p IS a bluray spec, isn't it?

What is nuts is I just burned a DVD using the prior settings, and I went to burn another after creating a new DVDA project, and now it wants to recompress again.

I'll try your suggestion.
Old May 25th, 2011, 07:29 AM   #10
Inner Circle

There is a 720 60p preset in DVDA, but not a 720 60i preset.
Old May 25th, 2011, 07:33 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Jeff could you detail exactly what you are doing. I am assuming that your source is a 1280x720 60P HD source. You edit on the same 1280x720P60 timeline in Vegas then render to a Bluray preset 1280x720P60 ( last on the list in Vegas encode box). Project in DVD is the same spec. 1280x720 progressive.

Ron
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 08:22 AM   #12
Trustee

Your correct Jeff, 60p is supported up to 720. sorry, I was looking at your 30p. Have you tried using Sony's AVC coded options in Vegas? I've never had much luck with the MC ones going to BR. What bitrate are you rendering at? under 40Mbps. Also you might try a small sample creating an mpg2 file and seeing if DVDA still rerenders. I'm not sure if there is a switch in DVDA that forces rerenders.

-Garrett

Last edited by Garrett Low; May 25th, 2011 at 10:14 AM.
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 08:25 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Yes, Ron, you have it. I have 720 60p footage on timeline (with some photos mixed in) and project properties are set to match the video, I don't even set the project properties manually, I let Vegas see the footage and choose the correct properties, and the frame rate is seen as 59.940.

However there is no 720 60p template in Vegas, so I choose the 720 30p template and change the frame rate to 59.940, which is as listed in my project properties, and set it to that in DVDA, 1280x720 of course.

I have also chosen (just now) for the first time a few minutes ago, 60 fps in Vegas and rendered to that, but it makes no difference.

I have included screen shots. It you need more information or if Ihaven't told you enough, please tell me.

the disc I just made where it didn't recompress doesn't play, so something was wrong there anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
DVDA wants to recompress HD video-render-setting.jpg   DVDA wants to recompress HD video-dvdasetting.jpg  

Old May 25th, 2011, 08:27 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Garrett, yes I've tried the avc route, that is what I was using initially, and same thing, which is what caused me to try mpeg2. My bitrate is around 18mbps.
Old May 25th, 2011, 08:31 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Jeff,

First, I was under the impression bluray is always interlaced, so no matter what you are in, if it is progressive it will surely rerender it.

I am not sure I understand what you are actually wanting to do here.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...