Light shift with Cineform at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 30th, 2011, 11:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Light shift with Cineform

I posted previously that I am going to go back to 9e for now as I can't seem to resolve an issue with 10. When using cineform and inserting transitions between scenes I find that there is a distracting and abrupt light shift at the beginning and end of the transition.This issue has not been resolved. Vegas 9 handles Cineform correctly without this abrupt and annoying light shift.
Mervin Langley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 04:19 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Light shift with Cineform

Mervin,

I believe I've seen the same problem when editing in 8bit mode. If you render in 32bit mode I think it works ok. You should file a ticket with Cineform, they very resposive to bugs in their program. More than any company I know of.
Marc Salvatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2011, 10:09 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Unfortunately that does not work for me. I always render in 32 bit mode. Everything in Cineform FilmScan 2.
I don't think its a Cineform issue. I think its a Vegas 10 issue. Vegas 9 is fine.
Old July 1st, 2011, 10:45 PM   #4
Major Player

Got it, I'll have to keep an eye on this. Sony's support for Cineform has been less then stellar. I've been struggling with a Vegas project trimmer bug involving Cineform for over a year and while seemed Sony finally fixed it I've been having problems again archiving projects.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 01:48 PM   #5
Regular Crew

sorry if I bore those of you who have read my previous posts regarding various versions of Vegas, but I always edit in 8c and render in 9e-64 bit. Why? Almost never any type of glitch or unwanted surprise.

I do use Vegas 10, but only for BCC7 & (now) white balance. But I immediately render to Cineform and put the .AVI on the TL in 8c. Seems to work well - but haven't done that procedure often enough to know for sure.
Larry Reavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2011, 12:18 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mervin Langley View Post
I posted previously that I am going to go back to 9e for now as I can't seem to resolve an issue with 10. When using cineform and inserting transitions between scenes I find that there is a distracting and abrupt light shift at the beginning and end of the transition.This issue has not been resolved. Vegas 9 handles Cineform correctly without this abrupt and annoying light shift.
Sounds like a 0-255/16-235 issue. I would think when you convert to Cineform your levels are set one way, then on the time-line Sony is smart rendering the transition using different levels, so you see a shift. How are you getting your Cineform files? What happens if you create a Cineform version by using the original video file on the timeline and rendering out to Cineform from Vegas, then use that file as a test? I expect this will be okay.

Have you tried using the 32bit full colour levels in Sony rather than the 32bit video levels, that might help. Also Cineform may have some settings for adjust what levels it uses.

Regards

Phil
Phil Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 10:09 PM   #7
Regular Crew

OK I've had a bit of time to experiment. With Vegas 9 I do not get a light shift whether I edit in 32 bit video levels or full range. With Vegas 10e there is an abrupt shift when using Cineform, especially when the looks are used. It may not happen if I import the original files and then convert to cineform (need to check) but that defeats the purpose of using cineform (color grading).

This is a vegas 10 problem and its not fixed. So back to 9e. Can I get my money back?
Old July 10th, 2011, 10:30 PM   #8
Major Player

Mervin,

Make sure you file a ticket with Cineform. If it's a problem on their end they will fix it ASAP. Keep us posted as I am editing a Vegas 10 Cineform project right now that I will be rendering soon.

Thanks, Marc
Old July 11th, 2011, 07:06 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Not a Cineform issue. Works with vegas 9. How does one file a ticket with Vegas?
Old July 11th, 2011, 08:03 PM   #10
Major Player

To file a ticket with Sony go here Sony Creative Software - Forums - Vegas Pro - Video and under "my Account" you'll see a "my support" section.

Since Vegas changed the way it works with Cineform in version 10 I would still check with Cineform as well because Neo HD 4 does not work with Vegas 9 so Cineform must have changed some things as well.

Keep us posted, Thanks
Marc Salvatore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...