Vegas Pro 11 is Coming Soon - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 10th, 2011, 01:58 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: Vegas Pro 11 is Coming Soon

Guys i read red giant...Doess this mean that sony and RG are once again "friends"?
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2011, 11:05 AM   #17
Major Player

Red Giant will be supporting Vegas again very soon!!! Just spoke with them and confirmed this as Sony even makes note of Red Giant plug in support in the Vegas 11 anouncement... this may lead to many more Red Giant plug ins working with Vegas now as well. Anyways good news so far.....now lets hope Vegas 11 is ready for launch next month.
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2011, 04:02 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Hi All,
Would be good if Sony would fix version 10 before releasing another new version.
What with "vegas has stopped working" messages and various annoying bugs, I certainly won't
be buying another new version which doesn't work as advertised.

Richard
Richard Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2011, 04:26 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Hello.

Does anyone know if it's possible to upgrade an upgrade? I started with 9 and upgraded to 10. Any idea if it's possible to upgrade to 11?

Thanks

Craig.
Craig Kovatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2011, 05:26 PM   #20
Regular Crew

To jump, or not to jump? I just finished shooting footage for a 10 minute short film (we wrapped ast night). I have files in AVDHD, and Prores. I'm currently using Vegas 8.0c. I can drop the AVCHD files into the timeline, but not the Prores. From what I am reading, version 10 will work with prores, thus the question.

Do I buy an upgrade to 10 now, or wait for 11? It could be a month or more, then will version 11 be stable upon release? I can afford to wait a little before beginning editing, but can I actualy restrain myself until the release of the new version?

The other question is that of price. Currently I can upgrade to version 10 for $239. Does anyone have a good guess what the upgrade price wil be for 11?
Justin Deming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2011, 06:04 PM   #21
Trustee

For those of you who think you need a brand new monster video card for gpu performance that is not always true.

Take a look at the old Pinnacle Liquid. This was a 6 year old NLE that could do amazing things with every day AMD video cards. Developers have got kind of lazy with gpu development thinking they need a special language in order to do so. Pinnacle however could treat the gpu almost as a extra cpu. It handled all image processing and could edit 3 layers of HDV with 3D effects in Realtime on a core 2 duo system. When it came to the gpu support it didn't really make a difference if you had a $60.00 off the shelf video card or a $300.00 video card. You may have been able to get an extra layer of HD or so but most of the power came from just having a gpu period.

Adobe is sort of the same way. There have been benchmark tests that have shown that performance wise there has been little advantage between the lowest supported Mercury card and the top of the line card other then perhaps a few extra layers of RT performance. When it comes to the cuda support Adobe seems to either have it or they don't. Adobe also only handles scaling and image processing in the gpu. The decoding of frames and the encoding of frames still gets handled by the cpu. So the gpu can only process frames as fast as it can get them from the cpu, storage and memory. So basically once a moderate gpu already helps the system feed frames as fast as the rest of the system can do the rest of what is going on under the hood isn't going to allow a better gpu to go any faster.

Hopefully Vegas will be the same way. You either get to offload some stuff to the gpu or you don't. Of course I don't know for sure but I don't think you are going to notice a huge difference between a low end card and a monster card with Vegas. GPU utilization just isn't very optimized now. The piggy backing of the gpu seems to either help or not help and there doesn't seem to be much area in between.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2011, 06:17 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Deming View Post
To jump, or not to jump? I just finished shooting footage for a 10 minute short film (we wrapped ast night). I have files in AVDHD, and Prores. I'm currently using Vegas 8.0c. I can drop the AVCHD files into the timeline, but not the Prores. From what I am reading, version 10 will work with prores, thus the question.

Do I buy an upgrade to 10 now, or wait for 11? It could be a month or more, then will version 11 be stable upon release? I can afford to wait a little before beginning editing, but can I actualy restrain myself until the release of the new version?

The other question is that of price. Currently I can upgrade to version 10 for $239. Does anyone have a good guess what the upgrade price wil be for 11?
Recommend you wait. If you've registered Vegas8, and have an account at sonycreativesoftware.com, you should receive a limited time upgrade offer for v11. This has been $149 for the last few versions, this price good for about a month. Of course Sony may decide to do something different.

V10 is much more AVCHD friendly, though... you could go with a 30-day trial version of V10? But don't get yourself stuck, as V8 won't open V10 files, but, V11 should.

As I understand things, it's not that V10 was made ProRes compatible, it's that Apple added a ProRes decoder to QT for Windows. So, if that's right, I'm thinking that you should upgrade to latest QT and see if ProRes is working in Vegas. OTOH, you might want a system restore point set before this upgrade, in case V8 isn't compatible with latest QT for Windows.
Old September 10th, 2011, 06:40 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum View Post
As I understand things, it's not that V10 was made ProRes compatible, it's that Apple added a ProRes decoder to QT for Windows. So, if that's right, I'm thinking that you should upgrade to latest QT and see if ProRes is working in Vegas. OTOH, you might want a system restore point set before this upgrade, in case V8 isn't compatible with latest QT for Windows.
Pro 8 won't handle QuickTime newer than 7.6.2 and I'm not sure if that version had ProRes support or not.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2011, 02:39 AM   #24
Trustee

I got pro res to work with a plugin. Can't remb the name thou but if u google for it should be able to find it
Old September 11th, 2011, 04:10 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Kovatch View Post
Does anyone know if it's possible to upgrade an upgrade? I started with 9 and upgraded to 10. Any idea if it's possible to upgrade to 11?
You most certainly can.
I started with Vegas 1.0 and have upgraded ever since.
Take advantage of the introductory price when a new version is released ($140 for Pro 10) and save yourself a lot of money.
Old September 11th, 2011, 10:15 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Swweeeeet! Thanks Mike!
Craig Kovatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2011, 05:45 AM   #27
Inner Circle

You're welcome Craig.
Sony continued Sonic Foundry's policy of inexpensive upgrades as well as being able to upgrade from (sometimes much) older versions of Vegas to the latest one for the same price as a current user can.
Old September 13th, 2011, 07:41 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida View Post
Sony continued Sonic Foundry's policy of inexpensive upgrades as well as being able to upgrade from (sometimes much) older versions of Vegas to the latest one for the same price as a current user can.
I concur; I've been upgrading since version 2.0, sometimes skipping one or more versions at a time, just jumping when I felt the new release had something interesting.

Certainly looking forward to faster playback as well as rendering, with the GPU accceleration...

Regards
Dave
David Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2011, 08:05 AM   #29
Trustee

if the GPU works that alone is worth the upgrade for me. I ended up with 2 new laptops because V10 struggles with DSLR footages on most systems besides an Alienware.
Old September 13th, 2011, 06:00 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mervin Langley View Post
I wasted money on Vegas 10. It still does not work properly with Cineform so I am stuck using Vegas 9e. Why would I bother wasting more money?
OK maybe I have a solution for you :-) I had problems with cineform and vegas for years and i discovered recently that the divx codec installed with cineform and vegas create many problems... I wrote to cineform and they told me that they know very well all these problems but it's a divx fault.
I hope that this suggestion can help you!
Marco Maiello is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...