Upgrade from Vegas Pro 8, or upgrade my PC? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 15th, 2011, 10:52 AM   #1
Major Player

Upgrade from Vegas Pro 8, or upgrade my PC?

A while back, I posted about my problem with Vegas shutting down when opening AVCHD files. I was looking into building a system that would be able to handle AVCHD. My current rig seems to be the weak point, and not Vegas, though I'm not 100% sure.

Any of you have problems editing AVCHD with Vegas Pro 8?

What do you think of the following? Cost is $1000.
Thanks,

PC comes with these:

Intel Core i7-930, 8 MB L2 Cache, 2.80 HHz
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
8 GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333 MHz
1.5 TB hard drive, 7200 RPM
AMD Radeon HD 6450 1 GB DDR3
Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio

Are the following "upgrades" worth the money?

[1] Upgrade CPU to i7-960, 3.20 GHz costs $470.

[2] Upgrade to 12 GB Tri Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333 MHz, 6 DIMMs, costs $160.

[3] Upgrade to AMD Radeon HD 6670 1 GB DDR5 costs $30.
Upgrade to AMD Radeon HD 6770 costs $110
Upgrade to NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 Single 1 GB costs $190

[4] Upgrade to Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium costs $40

[5] Add 2 USB 3.0 for $38
Norris Combs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011, 06:21 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Upgrade from Vegas Pro 8, or upgrade my PC?

Well, this is just opinion, based on what I'd do. Someone else's answer might well be different, and for good reasons that make sense to them and their workflow.

I'd want to do both the Vegas upgrade and the new PC. You should be able to get a $140 upgrade to v11 when it comes out - native AVCHD on the timeline will be better on any machine.

However, for it to be good, the i7 processor is the ticket!

I'd go with:
the standard 2.8GHz
Don't know if the RAM costs are current - I saw 12GB of RAM in last week's fry's ad for <$100. 8GB is probably fine for Vegas alone. If you're back and forth to Photoshop or AE, 12GB would be better.
All soundblasters are poor-to-barely-acceptable, but, I'm a sound snob. I sure wouldn't pay to upgrade to a more expensive SB.
USB3 is going to be more important, and it would be worth it to me for $38.

nVidia - also seems an expensive upgrade. Same card by eVGA is $120 at newegg.com - I'd thought a system builder would get it for less?.But, it's a lot harder to say if the promised timeline improvements with v11 AVCHD will be worth spending money on. Some others of the increased use of GPU with new versions have been underwhelming... I'm interested to see it happen.
Old September 15th, 2011, 09:27 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Norris

Last month I came from a DuoCore 2.2GHZ with 3GB ram to an i7 2600 3.40GHz and 8 GB ram and it's awesome in terms of rendering direct from native files.

I would definately also upgrade Vegas!! I found that 10 was so much better than 9 and 11 sounds good apart from the fact that you seem to need a very expensive Nvidia card to get smooth previews!!!

With my rig I still get video dropping down to half resolution after a while but apart from that the whole setup is magic....I'm not sure if more ram will work but it's not a big deal....personally I would go for the faster processor!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011, 10:12 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I would hold off on buying anything until the specs needed to take full advantage of Vegas 11 comes out. Why? Because you will want to know what qualities you need in your video card that will take advantage of the GPU accelerator features. You don't want to buy your system and then regret not having the right video card, which may very well help timeline performance and rendering speed.

Otherwise, I'd go for the 960 and 12GB of Ram, and add the USB 3. The CPU is where everything happens for Vegas. $500 is a steep premium, but I would still say go for it. But the graphics card, right now, is questionable because of upcoming changes to Vegas. We simply cannot recommend a card, no one knows what will be best, yet.
Old September 16th, 2011, 02:10 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Vegas 11 is talking about the Nvidia Quadro Card ... they have various configurations mostly at staggering prices ...my wholesaler looked up the cost of the Quadro 7000 card and it's a cool $20,000!!!! Mostly used for high end 3D CAD systems...next down was the 6000 at a cool $4800.00 ....That certainly isn't in my budget at all !!!

If you look on the Nvidia You Tube channel there is a brief video but no specs as yet!!!

I'm pretty happy with Vegas 10 64 bit!! Even my DuoCore was able to handle AVCHD but alas preview was pretty much out of the question!! I used to transcode my footage to HDV first!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 07:24 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Chris, can you provide a link to anything at all about Vegas 11 graphics requirements for taking advantage of the GPU?
Old September 16th, 2011, 08:00 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Jeff, it's been "hinted at" in the http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-hap...ro-11-ibc.html thread.

Norris, I only see one (rather large) hard drive.
The usual recommendation is to go with a minimum of two hard drives with C being for programs only and D, etc. being used for all your assets.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 08:32 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Those are some expensive cards, for sure.
Old September 16th, 2011, 09:09 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Way, way, WAY out of my budget :(
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 09:29 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Norris, Mike is right about the video drive, don't forget that. Needs to be a separate drive, the faster the better.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...