re-rendering times and size? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old October 22nd, 2011, 03:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

re-rendering times and size?

I am re-rendering avi file (originally AVCHD rendered in Vegas 10 to uncompressed avi). The first avi is 150 GB and it took 18 hrs to render. I brought this file back to Vegas to trim it (deleted approx 1 min of footage and used one crossfade to join the cut, no other effect applied). I am attempting to render it back to uncompressed avi. However Vegas now is still taking 5 hrs to render (I've changed from Best to good setting in project properties) and is producing a file bigger than 360 GB (I get error at that size since I have only that much free space).
I believe I am using exactly the same setting for rendering so why the size doubled? And why is so long when only such a small change was made in the file?

Andrew
Andrew Jezierski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2011, 06:47 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Re: re-rendering times and size?

AVCHD is a highly compressed format. Uncompressed is, well... Uncompressed and will, therefore, be much larger. Render to the same settings as the original file and the file should end up slightly smaller.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2011, 01:57 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Edward, the problem is that I don't think I've changed any settings. In both renders I've used uncompressed avi template. The properties show the original avi1 file (143GB) data rate of 697015 vs. new re-rendered avi file (357GB) 883852 kbps, total bitrate of 698426 vs. 885263 kbps. Video quality in rendering setting of the template is set to use project setting. In the original render (AVCHD --> avi1) I used Best setting in project properties. In my first attempt to render avi1 -->avi2 I used the same setting. After reading some forums I've changed that setting to Good in project properties. However both settings gave me the similar double size result.

I am baffled by both doubling of the file size between avi1 and avi2 and long rendering time despite only a very small edit. I was expecting smart rendering to take place and the size to be a tad smaller since I cut out a minute of footage.
Andrew Jezierski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2011, 02:34 PM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

Good vs Best will make NO difference. You must choose the same file format with the exact same settings to get the same results.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2011, 03:03 PM   #5
Regular Crew

But that's exactly what I've done. Same template, same settings.
Andrew Jezierski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...