Live show multi cam .... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 11th, 2011, 03:39 AM   #1
Trustee

Live show multi cam ....

Hey people,
Thought a while before asking, but I figure if I'm going to get better at this I need to hear some criticism as well as good things. And I'd rather get smashed by you guys, than people on another forum that I dont know :)
So,
This was done by a friend and I with 7 pretty ordinary cams ( the best prob being the GH2),
we locked all exposures, but that made the problem of very dark spots and very bright, sometimes blown out faces, when lights came on full.
Better to have auto exposure??
The GH1 long shot kept turning off ( when they tell you that the patched firmware never fails indoors, DONT BELIEVE THEM, 17 mbps is better than no mbps).
Would you use a Hack at live events/ weddings?
Does anyone know a way to rig up a budget crane/jib? A guy on another forum said he swings a GH1 with a wide lens in a holster tacked to a piece of PVC pipe over the heads of crowds to get those expensive looking shots. I'm toying with the idea.
Overall I was reasonably pleased with what we turned out, but I realise it has a long way to go before it looks "Pro".
There has been a fair bit of interest to do more of these as well as a couple of dance concerts to do over the next month or so which I'm hoping to shoot in the same manner.
So, anyway, all advice is really appreciated.
cheers.

Old November 13th, 2011, 03:14 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Live show multi cam ....

Wow, nothing.
I better change deodorants.
:(
Old November 13th, 2011, 04:04 AM   #3
Inner Circle

i find the camera in the back of drummer a bit too low and lack of close-up view on the performers, but for the rest it is excellent.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2011, 05:09 AM   #4
Trustee

nothing like coming up smelling of roses eh!? ;-)

perhaps no comments because there's no much to say. you've done a perfectly capable and acceptable job given the tools and personnel you had. and you've recognized the problems that arose.

this business is a never ending learning curve (and a bloody enjoyable one too!).

i'm old school (doing video clips from the late 70's onward) so what i'm going to write is my experience, ymmv.

a. better to have a couple of good, matching cameras than a mixture of average ones.

b. use operators on all cameras and workout who's doing what and when (cu's, wa, etc.,)

c. pic up shots of crowd, cu's band, etc., during other numbers to use as cutaways if you have problem cuts with the main song.

d. if you're going to use ANY sort of jib, make sure you've got insurance cover - accidents DO happen, a camera into someones eye isn't going to covered with, 'OMG, i'm really sorry.....'

that said, you've already got the idea ;-)
Old November 13th, 2011, 12:51 PM   #5
Trustee

Thanks for the replies Giroud and Leslie,
I agree about the rear cam, I wanted it higher, but band felt it was prominent from the crowd view, so down it came.
Operators on multiple cams would be great, just hard to find the talent at the right price ( a beer and pat on the back, lol). A definite though for when budget allows.
Since this show, ive acquired a Sony Z5P which will replace one of the aging handycams. For the first time now I wont have to use every cam I have to do a show.
Point taken about jib, might rig up a dolly instead, prob safer for all concerned :)
thanks again for feedback.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 03:38 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I'm assuming this wasn't switched live, something I am contemplating with events where I don't want to spend much time in post. How did you capture the sound (aside from camera audio)?
Old November 22nd, 2011, 08:11 PM   #7
Trustee

Hey Chip,
Main Audio was captured with a Zoom H4N on a high stand at rear.
But, we did get some extra audio (for the first half of show at least) from a friend of the boys who brought along an aging Mac Pro and captured some tracks right out of the desk. However this failed at about the 1 hour mark. It did give us a bit more latitude in mixing the individual vocal tracks to clean them a little.
If you could capture ALL tracks individually and mix in post, you could end up with something very good.
cheers
Old November 27th, 2011, 06:28 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hey Gerald. How you going mate. been meaning to catch up. Give me a call next time you need a hand, I could use a beer and a pat on the back..lol.

Love the clip. Think you did really well considering the limitations.
In particular, really impressed with audio if thats from an H4 on stage. Would be great to have a second H4 grabbing a desk mix as well.

All in all..excellent.

cheers mate,
Don
Don Meers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2011, 12:39 AM   #9
Trustee

hey Don,
Was only thinking about you the other day, hope all is well.
Be careful offering help, lol, I might just call.
Dance concert this weekend, dance concert next weekend...... Im stressing.
cheers
:)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...