Remove flickering... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 20th, 2011, 04:12 PM   #1
Major Player

Remove flickering...

I filmed event where "creative" designer used cheap led lights to illuminate the ballroom (hundreds of them) which produced incredible flickering. I tried to use anti flicker filter in my Sony EX1 but it didn't help.
Is there any way I can reduce or minimize flickering in post production. I am using Vegas 10. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Marius Boruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2011, 05:53 PM   #2
Jubal 28

Re: Remove flickering...

Well, that'll depend on what kind of "flicker" it is, and how bad it is. If it's the flicker from the LED light cycle, then probably not.

Is there footage you can post?
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2011, 03:45 PM   #3
New Boot

Re: Remove flickering...

An idea that I've just got while reading your problem: did you try to superimpose your event on top of itself, using a 50% transparency compositing?

Then, you might shift one track by one frame (1/25sec or 1/29.97) over time: this way, the brightness of the lights would be averaged over time, and you might get rid of flickering.

Actually, the optimal shift should be half the blinking period of the lights. So maybe you would have to unlock the frame-fitting (don't remember the name in English, sorry) of Vegas to accurately adjust the track under the frame duration.

The drawback of this approach is that the video will get fuzzier, but if things are not moving too much, it should not be a big issue.

Hope this helps - never tried it, but it should be quick enough to test.
Frederic

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...