Mixing progressive and interlaced at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 14th, 2011, 12:13 PM   #1
New Boot

Mixing progressive and interlaced

Hello,

I was wondering if someone might be able to give me some pointers with something that's got me about to tear my hair out. I realize that I'm using an awkward mix of equipment here but it's all I've got at the moment and I'd like to think that I could get an acceptable final result with what I have. I'm much more of an audio person so please be gentle with me if I phrase things incorrectly here...

I've got some live music footage captured on two cameras:

-Sanyo Xacti HD200: MP4 - 1920x1080i - 29.97fps, upper field first
-Panasonic ZS-3 (point&shoot camera): m2ts - 1280x720p - 29.97fps

As I understand it, the ZS-3 incorrectly flags its output as 59.94fps. Another possibly confounding factor is that I'm in the UK with UK equipment but I don't seem to have had problems playing back NTSC stuff in the past.

I'm replacing the camera audio with a separate 48khz 24bit track. And I'm using Vegas Platinum v11.

I've synced up the footage and audio and have made my edits (by chopping out the bits of the ZS-3 footage that I don't want; the Sanyo footage is intact all along the timeline.)

I have a few questions:

-do the "project settings" have any influence at all, or do the render setting trump them?
-what do you think the best format and settings are for rendering this project to a blu ray disc, bearing in mind that I'd like to keep the audio as uncompressed as possible?
-is the ZS-3's faulty framerate flag going to cause problems here?
-should I keep everything NTSC or convert to PAL?

A slightly separate issue is that I wanted to make an SD version of these clips but every time I render to MPEG-2, I get blips in the video and audio. This doesn't seem to happen if I render to different formats. Weirdly, when I upped one of the clips to Youtube the glitch magically disappeared after a couple of days...

This is only really a "practice project" designed to reveal potential issues but I'd really like to salvage something reasonable from the footage I've got.

There are some Youtube clips here:
Richmond Fontaine - Moving Back Home #2, Manchester 15 Sept 2011 - YouTube
Richmond Fontaine - 1968, Manchester 15 Sept 2011 - YouTube
Richmond Fontaine - Post to Wire, Manchester 15 Sept 2011 - YouTube

Any advice anyone might be able to offer, even if it's just pointers to tutorials or past posts.
Yousef Sheikh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 04:26 PM   #2
Jubal 28

Re: Mixing progressive and interlaced

Which do you have more of? About the same of each?

If I were going to make a blanket statement, I'd do it all (project and Blu-ray output) as 1080/60i.

Unless you want the 1080/60i motion to match the 720/30p motion, in which case I'd edit as 720/30p and render that way, then do a re-render as 1080 for Blu-ray.

-do the "project settings" have any influence at all, or do the render setting trump them?

Project settings have plenty of influence, but render settings will trump them.

-is the ZS-3's faulty framerate flag going to cause problems here?

Not likely.

-should I keep everything NTSC or convert to PAL?

I'd keep it NTSC; it will preserve the best quality.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 05:07 PM   #3
New Boot

Excellent - many thanks for that.

In terms of the balance of footage, the 720p is basically just close ups, probably accounting for less than 25% of the total running time.

Two final questions for you: am I right in thinking that the "Blu-ray 1920x1080-60i, 25 Mbps video stream" is the one I want, giving an .m2v file as the output?

And if so, how do I get the uncompressed audio in there? When I go to customise the template and click on the audio tab, it looks like I've only got compressed options. Do I need to render the audio separately?

Thanks again.
Yousef Sheikh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 05:41 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Assuming you plan to deliver your renders to the web (i.e. YouTube, Vimeo, etc.). Here's what I'd do. There may be better ways, but here's the test I just ran seems to work pretty well.

1) Create a Vegas Project using the "Match Media Settings" wizard to match the 720p source.
2) Add a 720p source clip to the timeline.
3) Add a 1080i souce clip to the timeline.
4) Add the yohng.com Yadif Deinterlace for Sony Vegas deinterlace FX as a Media FX
5) Render the project to the MainConcept "Internet HD 720p" template.

The video is here: Mixed720p1080i.mp4 - YouTube

However, the telling result is in the attached image.

...Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Mixing progressive and interlaced-yadif-deinterlacing.png  
Jerry Amende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2011, 01:19 PM   #5
New Boot

Many thanks for that - I've downloaded the filter and will give it a go.
Yousef Sheikh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...