Photo pan and scan jumping at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 26th, 2012, 10:07 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Photo pan and scan jumping

I'm panning and scanning photos in my project for the first time (with this new update of Vegas, not my first time doing it) and some of them are "jumping" in the preview window during playback. Very weird. Is this a known bug? Anyone else had this experieince?
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 10:12 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Photo pan and scan jumping

Oh, this is real nice. They are jumping in the frame in the render too. How in the ___ am I supposed to do a photo montage now? Use another program?

I am using conventional jpegs, same as I always use, and have done a hundred times before. This is really messed up.

I see now the issue seems to be when the photos are stretched to around 7 or more seconds is when it happens. I have turned off looping in the image properites it does no good.
Old January 26th, 2012, 11:06 AM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

I know there has been a change in the newer versions of Vegas which really messed up Montage Magic on certain photos. I wonder if this may be related. It's found under File - Properties and is called "Adjust source media to better match project or render settings". I had to turn this off or the clips would be trimmed in unwanted ways. Don't know if this would affect actually rendering and preview, though.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 02:00 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks Edward. "Adjust source.." thingy is already off, sadly. Sounds like a related issue.
Old January 26th, 2012, 10:06 PM   #5
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
I'm panning and scanning photos in my project for the first time (with this new update of Vegas, not my first time doing it) and some of them are "jumping" in the preview window during playback. Very weird. Is this a known bug? Anyone else had this experieince?
I'm not sure if it's the same problem as yours but I had "jumping" stills when using event pan/crop to pan around within them. It turned out that event pan/crop had somehow created two keyframes on the same frame. I had created one of the positions at that frame and then Vegas somehow added another one at a different position. I don't know why it did it. So I deleted the double keyframes and repositioned it. I think this bug showed up in Vegas 10. I don't remember it in 9. It happens to me now and then when I've got keyframes very close together.
Mark F. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2012, 10:48 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Mark, good call. The behavior seemed to be to be extra keyframes to me, but I couldn't find any. I only had two key frames, they were very simple movements. Only when I shortened the length of the clip on the timeline did the problem disappear.
Old February 21st, 2012, 10:24 PM   #7
Inner Circle

The solution to this very irritating problem might be solved by changing the default length of photos in "Preference" to a longer length. So far it has seemed to fix it for me, but I haven't tried making a photo montage with Ultimate S yet. but for casual addition of photos here and there on the timeline, it does work. I changed the default length to 10 seconds and all seems well now.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 05:03 PM   #8
Regular Crew

i use image-sequences instead of stills, but i've experienced a similar problem for a number of years with Vegas.

1) add keyframes in pan/crop
2) make some changes
3) then delete one or two
4) play back and watch

sometimes there will be a little "bump" wherever a keyframe was that is no more. (the bump is often only a pixel or two, but in a smooth pan, it's quite noticeable)... i'd say a few out of every hundred pan/crops i do (which is a lot) glitches.

whenever this happens it won't go away by deleting the keyframes or closing/re-opening the project; i have to drag a new instance of the glitched clip onto the timeline and start fresh.

i've seen this on 4 different computers with 2 different OS's running Vegas 8,9, & 10... haven't used Vegas 11 yet... not sure it's related but sounds similar.
Rob Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 05:37 PM   #9
Inner Circle

It does sound similar. Like you I do a fair number of photo montages and have since Vegas 7. This is the first time I've experienced this phenomenon.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 06:06 PM   #10
Regular Crew

most times, the glitch can be quite small.

i wasn't the one to initially notice this; an animator called it first time (and second, sigh)... after that i began watching more closely.
Rob Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 04:01 AM   #11
Inner Circle

The "jumps" for me are dramatic, and happen with every photo that is stretched beyond the default length.

I'll be using photos later today in a wedding edit and am interested to see if changing properties has fixed the issue for sure.
Old February 24th, 2012, 07:55 AM   #12
Regular Crew

are you sure your last key frame isn't before the end of the event and then its hitting it and then jumping back to somewhere else? This happens to me sometimes when I do my keyframes and then stretch the event.
Old February 24th, 2012, 01:38 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Hi Ken, I'm sure. I know what you're talking about re: stretching the event after adding a keyframe, but no, that is not it.

These are very simple pans, gentle and elegant, there should be no jumping even if the keyframe were misplaced. The jump can occur anywhere, there is no rhyme or reason I can make out. It does appear it's jumping back to the starting point when I have an event longer than the default 5 secs.

I've inserted thousands of photos on my timelines over the years, but this is a new one for me.

As I mentioned before changing the default length to 10 secs seems to take care of it, since most the time my events are between 4-7 seconds anyway.
Old February 24th, 2012, 03:52 PM   #14
Major Player

Has anyone reported this to Sony Vegas? Sounds like a real bug to me.
Dennis Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 06:36 PM   #15
Jubal 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Mark, good call. The behavior seemed to be to be extra keyframes to me, but I couldn't find any. I only had two key frames, they were very simple movements. Only when I shortened the length of the clip on the timeline did the problem disappear.
Just remember, when you change the length of the clip, the pan/crop keyframes don't move -- so if you shorten the clip, you may end up with keyframes bunched up.

Not saying it's your problem here, but it could be something to look out for.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...