Stabilizer results in stutter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 21st, 2012, 09:34 AM   #1
Major Player

Stabilizer results in stutter

Hi all,

I haven't had a chance to use this plugin in version 10 but now with version 11 I do and did yesterday. I must say I find the results to be quite satisfactory.

One HUGE caveat though, my current project is in 59.94 and when I render at that frame rate all is fine. When I render at 29.976 (which is what the final render will be set to) all the media that has the stabilizer plugin now stutters uncontrollably.

Here's an example with wheel:

Edit4.wmv - YouTube

I've tried many combination of different kinds of output and plugin configuration all to no vail, every time I set the frame rate to 29.976 the stuttering appear

What is you take in this?

Thanks

Phil
Phil Gosselin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 02:50 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Stabilizer results in stutter

I got the same issue, I tried disable re-sampling and smart resampling - doesn't help,
I find that stabilizer worked better in Vegas 10, although i always have a some kind of frame jump towards the very end on every stabilized clip
Old February 22nd, 2012, 02:33 AM   #3
Major Player

To be honest,

and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but the stabiliser was actually taken from Mercali?? I find this stabiliser primitive and results inferior to the original Mercali, let alone the new version.??
Adam Letch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 05:16 AM   #4
Regular Crew

After much pain, I've found that a best practice for stabilization is to follow this principle:

When stabilizing video in Sony Vegas 11 using the internal stabilizer or Mercalli V2, best results are obtained when matching properties of source footage, project properties and render properties. If render properties must be different, render to an intermediate or a new track.

In other words, for you specific problem, I'd solve it by rendering the stabilized video event to a new track at 59.94 fps (preferably with a high-quality codec such as DNxHD, MXF, Cineform, etc.), delete the video event with the Stabilize FX, then render the project to 29.97 fps.

In other words, the mismatch between the render settings and the Vegas project appears to be the cause of your stutter.

I know it shouldn't work this way, but until SCS/proDAD fixes the problem, we need to live with an intermediate render.

Good Luck!
...Jerry

PS: More info here: Vegas Pro 11 (511 64bit) - Stabilize problem!!! and
here: First Look at the Vegas 11 Stabilizer
Jerry Amende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 02:24 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I've seen this as well, 2 things to try:

Set the Project Properties to 29.97 instead of the 59.94, run the stabilization, and then render out to the 29.97(make sure to disable resample as well) You may loose the benefits from the high framerate of the source footage, but it's something to experiment with.

This is another thing to try, if it works will be a very simple workaround and the best option: (Keep the Project Properties at your preferred 59.94) Change the event properties to undersample the source footage, change Sampling from 1.00 to .50, (also disable resample) and then run the stabilization. Let us know if this works!!
Jeremy Dallek is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...