Preview stuttering at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 22nd, 2012, 03:26 PM   #1
Major Player

Preview stuttering

I have GTX470 Nvidia with newest drivers, RAID 155-215MB/s transfer and V11 and preview is stuttering; every second or so preview goes down to 13 fps and then goes back for a second to 29.97; I set up dynamic RAM preview to 0,100, 1000, 2000 MB but nothing works; there is fresh Win7 installed with all major updates. it wasn't like that few days ago; what is going on?
Marius Boruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 05:43 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Preview stuttering

Have you tried disabling GPU acceleration? Just a thought.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 06:17 PM   #3
Major Player

yes, but nothing works;
Old February 22nd, 2012, 06:51 PM   #4
Trustee

what's on your t/l?

fx?

what's your sys specs?
Old February 22nd, 2012, 07:02 PM   #5
Major Player

no FX just plain MXF HD video...specs (see my fist post above)
it reached the point when vegas is very slow to respond
system is newly installed and ALL!!!! other software works perfectly fast
it is TRIAL version....does it matter???
Old February 22nd, 2012, 07:35 PM   #6
Major Player

it is impossible to edit;
when two clips overlap preview freezes when play head reaches the point of transition, then it stay frozen for two, three seconds and starts playing 9fps, 16fps and after few seconds it fluctuates 20-29fps....
I check hard drive (RAID) and transfer rate is read/write 215MB/s
what is wrong with preview????
it has powerful GTX470 Nvidia card with new drivers
Old February 22nd, 2012, 09:10 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Personally, I would reformat the hard drive, and zero it out from beginning to end, and then reinstall windows. I did this on the first install of Vegas 11 and it helped a lot. It sounds like you could have a bad installation of windows.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 06:16 PM   #8
Trustee

agree entirely with jeff. sounds like a bad install.

with no fx you should be getting full preview with no problems.

what cpu / ram / os are you running?

have you run a ram stress test?

btw. the 470 isn't considered a particularly 'powerful' card, but it shouldn't cause any problems.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 11:43 PM   #9
Major Player

OK, I reinstalled WIn7 (it works perfect and super fast); BUT I have (Not Responding) problem in V11; when I load project and apply ie. color corrector and color curves filters to same clip in color curves window there is blank gray area (not showing any curves) and message on top of the FX window says (Not Responding) and then V11 crashes. What the h...is going on. It is NOT win7 because everything else works super fast and with any problems whatsoever....and now I am screwed because I worked on those projects in V11 so there is no getting back to V10....I am closer and closer to take a good look at Premiere (kind of fed up with those Vegas bugs).
Old February 24th, 2012, 01:09 AM   #10
Trustee

i wish i had some words of encouragement for you, but reading here and over on scs board one's left wondering where scs lost the plot....

in my case it's no print to tape, a very flaky nbtitler (though that's NOT scs's fault), and a ever present worry that all might go belly up at the next button push.

not good enough. i buy a pro tool and i expect at least the basic requirements, and a degree of stability that lets me edit all day long on a simple project WITHOUT worry whether it'll survive....
Old February 24th, 2012, 05:45 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Hi Guys

I am truly amazed!! Am I just lucky??? I started off with Version 4 when it was still Sonic Foundry and progressed through all the versions (except 6) and I'm presently on 10e and apart from a few render freezes (two to be exact) Vegas runs like a dream for me.... My previews are smooth (with crossfades too) from 24 mbps AVCHD direct on the time!! Renders down to PAL SD and just 1/3rd realtime on my i7

Someone told me that Sony usually only sort out the bugs by the "e" version so I usually stick with the previous version and the last release.

Marius?? Maybe drop in Version 9 or 10 and see if it does the same thing??? If 9 and 10 are also slow then you know you need to look at the computer..if they run normal then it's Version 11 giving you grief!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 07:14 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Marius, Chris is usually right, but running Vegas 10 alongside 11 has caused problems for many of us.

Yes you are lucky Chris. I've been running fine since 7, but 11 has had serious issues for me from the beginning. Three and four camera preview with 1080 24p is crap, and I have a i7 960 running at 4.2gHz. 1080 60i is not much better.

Currently I have random crashes and I never know when to expect them, as there is no pattern to them. I've lost work every day at least once. I try to remember to back up often, but sometimes I get in the groove and forget and wham I get hit. But I'm running multicam projects. Maybe single camera is less prone to crashes, I have no idea.

Marius, past editions of Premier were known to be buggy, and while the newest version is said to be great, it is such an unfriendly program I would never go there. You can't even open multiple instances and copy and paste between different instances of the program, which I absolutely depend on. If this has been fixed or changed, or if I'm wrong, I stand corrected, but when I had it installed I hated it, maybe it's better now.
Old February 24th, 2012, 09:32 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Hi Jeff

and why do you think I'm still on 10e??? I read all your tales of woe and decide that I'll stick with what I have.

Marius could always totally uninstall 11 and then install 10 and check out what happens..I found that both the 32 and 64 bit versions of 10e are pretty good...for a while (I was a bit jubious of 64 bit) I was running both versions (32 and 64) and they both ran well!!!

It's always a good idea to isolate the fault before replacing the wrong thing...I would like to end up buying a new NLE and find out I still have the problem!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2012, 11:03 AM   #14
Inner Circle

You know, I would't mind going back to 10, but I sold my license. I'm sticking with 11, especially now that I found a solution for the jumping key frames. The crashes are a complete annoyance, but I can live with it, though it does cost me time and aggravation.
Old February 24th, 2012, 12:35 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I have similar results, nbtitler, vegas crashes infrequently too, but it is a pain when it does.

One of my projects which I build in 11 64bit, refused to open. If it did open, it would crash everytime and I was now stuck. Working with NB, they sent me a beta copy, sony came out with an update, and nothing would get by the crashing.

In the end, I loaded vegas 11 32 bit, and everything worked perfectly. Even NBtitler was very very hard to crash. I continued on that project with about 30 more clips and saved it. The hard part is everytime you start vegas by clicking the veg file, it opens the 64bit version. I also was able to render all the final products with the 64 bit version, but unable to click on any part of the timeline or change a single thing.

I also have 10e 64bit loaded at the same time and have not noticed any issues with both running together on the same system. However, I am not as versed in vegas and usually make very simple projects, as most of you on this board are more advanced. Maybe the 32bit version will get you out of a bind too...
Joe Kollee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...