Problem with video & audio speed in Vegas Platinum 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 23rd, 2012, 10:04 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Problem with video & audio speed in Vegas Platinum 9

I rendered a 30 min video, the audio finished about 5 mins before the video (they are aligned in software). I am not sure of the problem, maybe it is my rendering settings?

Here is what I have done:

1. Imported mp4 clips from GoPro Hero 2
2. Converted clips via Cineform Neoscene ver 1.6 (HD codec v6.0.0)
3. Placed video clips & audio (mp3) in edit. Yes, video is set at normal speed 1.0
4. Rendering settings:

A. Format =Sony AVC
B. Template: Memory stick SD NTSC widescreen 3128 KBPS

My goal is to get a high quality video to put on Vimeo. I have not paid to have unlimited service there yet but may. The bottom line is if someone can help me find out why my video is playing longer then my audio, it would be great.

If someone could also make a recommendation on the preferred setting to render videos & place on Vimeo I would appreciate it. I am overwhelmed with settings on rendering & do not know which are the ones best to use.

Thanks,

Last edited by Jeff Wisener; February 23rd, 2012 at 11:19 AM.
Jeff Wisener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 12:21 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Problem with video & audio speed in Vegas Platinum 9

Can anyone help?
Old February 23rd, 2012, 02:01 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Wisener View Post
3. Placed video clips & audio (mp3) in edit. Yes, video is set at normal speed 1.0
Please clarify - are you using a separate audio recording from what comes in the cineform clips?

If so, there are a few places to go wrong. Best practice would be to assure that all sample rates are the same, usually 48KHz. "All" would be - original audio on the gopro clips, cineform exports of those clips, separately recorded audio clips, and project properties.

Vegas is usually pretty good at handling various sample rates, but the problem you're reporting could well be caused by sample rate mis-matches.

To solve this particular problem, since you already have these recordings:
Check out the sample rates of the gopro/cineform clips. Are they 48KHz? If so, well and good.
Same for the separate audio clips. If one of your audio sources isn't 48KHz, you should try separately rendering it to 48.
Set your project properties to 48KHz on the audio tab.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 03:37 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Seth:

1. Yes, I turned the sound down on the video clips & then under music added some AAC & mp3 music tracks.

2. I checked, the AAC & mp3 music tracks are at 44.1khz & the cineform/gopro clips are 48khz.

3. Interesting, I did another rendering and the audio tracks worked fine meaning audio & video length was the same using:

Format - same, Sony AVC (mp4)

Template - Youtube - higher quality 30P

I did not even change the 44.1khz for audio tracks because I had not read your post yet. The problem is the the video is only 480x360 & I wanted a higher quality, larger video.

Could the audio 44.1 khz be a problem with the first rendering & not the second?

Right now I will try to render again using the first settings but with audio @ 48khz & see if it works.

Thanks for your input!

Jeff
Old February 23rd, 2012, 04:40 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Seth:

I just finished rendering using the first settings I listed & changing the settings to 48khz for audio as you suggested. It worked thus your advice was spot on, Thank you.

Jeff
Old February 24th, 2012, 01:45 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Good news! Thanks for reporting back. Future readers of this thread who are experiencing the issue will appreciate it.

Glad it's working for you.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...