Anyone running Vegas on Windows 8 Release preview? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 3rd, 2012, 08:33 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: Anyone running Vegas on Windows 8 Release preview?

Back to Jeff's point at the beginning,
Is there anything better or upgraded in the Win 8 engine/registry/core (whatever you call it) that will improve -
Performance and Reliability?
That's about the only thing I care about, If I have to deal with Metro once a session to get "in", so be it, as long as I get a faster more solid platform to work in.
And remember, in the famous words of Abe Simpson-
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too."
:)
Old June 3rd, 2012, 08:51 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Young View Post
Looks like there is a very simple registry switch to totally disable Metro... I'll be making it!

Disable Metro in Windows 8 Developer Preview - MSTechPages | MSTechPages

Chris Young
Sydney
Please note, the linked to article says this is for the Windows 8 Developer Preview. It's dated Sept 14, 2011. We're now up to the W8 Release Preview. Even if it still works in this version, there is no guarantee it will work in the final product. In other words, caveat emptor.

D
Dennis Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 05:23 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Imagine the hundreds of millions of corporate users who have no use for the Metro, Microsoft is not going to force this interface on them, it's not even conceivable.

It will likely be quite easy to bypass in the final version. Remember folks, Windows 8 is essentially nothing more than updated Windows 7, so Metro is an add on, it is not the OS itself.

We are looking at a preview, not the real thing as it will be sold. I suggest we stay calm, be logical, and don't panic.

Gerald, who the heck is Abe Simpson? (Just kidding, very funny little quote there).

Thanks for sharing that link Christopher. When I need a distraction, I will go back to Metro and I will try the hack, I'm sure it will be fine. If I break something, it doesn't matter, that's what the preview is for, to play with.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2012, 07:54 AM   #19
Inner Circle

I've been running Windows 8 for a week and it uses less memory, is more responsive. I like it very much.

It is, on the surface, not much different then 7, but I like the way it runs very much. The improvements under the hood are obvious, which is why I chose to go with it for my new build. Windows 7 Pro wasn't seeing all of my memory, and I got frustrated and gave Windows 8 a shot, and it is perfect so far, Vegas 11 runs perfectly on it.

Metro is gone, replaced with a Start screen, same idea, but there is a desktop icon, so it is a complete non issue. There are a few minor differences in how you access things, but I have figured most everything out I need, just took a few days of use.

People will complain about the differences, but it's a new OS, just takes some getting used to.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; October 2nd, 2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 10:39 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Windows 7 Pro wasn't seeing all of my memory.
Where you running 64bit? 32bit won't see more than 4Gb.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2012, 04:11 PM   #21
Inner Circle

64 bit, of course, and it was seeing 8gb, but just not 32gb as it should have. The reason could've been it was a bad installation, don't know, but it was comforting that Windows 8 has run perfectly from day one. I've had no issues with Windows 7 to speak of, it's a great OS, but for the last install I had the buggy memory issue which surprised me.

Another interesting thing is the Windows 8 was installed on my old build months ago, but I never used it after a couple of days, I disconnected the hard drive and forgot about it. Recently I replaced my MOBO, ram, and processor, and I hooked up the Windows 8 hard drive, and it worked out of the box. But the hard drive with Windows 7 wouldn't work with the new MOBO and processor, I had to reinstall. So Windows 8 seems to be adaptable somehow. It seems to be extremely stable and more intelligent somehow. I don't know the technical details, but it seems to be a superior version of Windows to me.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 08:10 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Hey, Jeff. I had a system come in with win 7 pro using 24gb of the 32gb installed. It turned out the system was running in diagnostic mode via MSCONFIG. Once normal mode was selected it used all the ram again. It could be a long shot, but give it a try.

Just for the record. I am also using windows 8, on a laptop and it is the full release. I really like the OS. My opinion is slightly tainted because I use a windows phone too. Both, my phone and laptop sync users, calendar, emails, contacts, pictures.

There is a desktop button, that makes the system look much like win 7.

You also have to learn where they have moved things. It takes about 10 min, if you read or watch a video on how to maneuver around in win 8 it is very easy to use. Somethings are better some things are crazy.

I have not tried it on my workstation, although, I did install vegas 12 and watched it crash in the first click...

Most of the arguments against windows 8 are valid, it is a money grab yada yada yada. However, I do like the metro display for the live tiles. I can see the weather, canadian $, the market, any emails, facebook, calendar appointments coming up, news bullets, and many other things that happen live. These tiles are like a dashboard of what is going on, in your interests. Since your interests are different you customize it your way. These live tiles allow me to see all the above at a glance.

My 2cents worth about 1.998cents US. :)
Joe Kollee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...