1st and last time I'm editing ProRes in Vegas for a major project - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 20th, 2016, 03:07 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: 1st and last time I'm editing ProRes in Vegas for a major project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Chandler View Post
So you are saying Avid DNxHD would be a better choice (over ProRes)? I'm not doing color grading or anything. Just simple stage event video.
Hi Geoffrey,

To be honest I never even tried out ProRes because I didn't think it was possible to get it into Windows let alone a Vegas timeline! Avid's codec is touted as cross-platform so it suited me perfectly.

I believe that visually the codecs produce comparable results.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2016, 04:21 AM   #17
Regular Crew

I have always used avid dnx in vegas until recently i bought a pix E5 and started to use prores. On my latest project I created subclips in the trimmer and started to work on my project. When it was finished it was always crashing when I tried to render it. Very frustrating.... Tried everything, deleted the reference files, saved as a new project, nothing seemed to work. I had 200+clips in the project and my computer is a 36core 72 threads Multi cpu so processing power wasn't the problem as vegas probably doesn't use half of it :-). I love vegas but I have often wanted to go to another editing system. I think prores in vegas is ok as long as you don't use to many clips. Now with sony putting no more effort in updating, I think we are stuck with vegas as it is. I hope for an update on the pix E5 so I can go back to dnxHD and still use vegas.
Jurgen Bauwens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2016, 04:33 AM   #18
Inner Circle

It's a shame the E5 doesn't support DNxHD because in all other regards it looks pretty good.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2016, 11:28 AM   #19
Inner Circle

In my opinion, and it's only opinion, this is less to do with Vegas than it is to do with Apple's QuickTime player for Windows, which is the only licensed way to decode ProRes on PC. It's not very good. Apple would like us all to migrate to the "creative" platform. That's how I connect the dots.

I wonder how ProRes/QT works in Edius?

Having said that, this nuance doesn't mean much to someone in Jurgen's situation. Or, in the situation of someone who has to collaborate in a Mac-centric community. Sometimes you gotta' do what you gotta' do.
Old February 21st, 2016, 12:09 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
prores/qt works fine in edius 8wg, also mixing different codecs and resolutions has been problem free so far for me, I always work with the native files.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2016, 01:21 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum View Post
In my opinion, and it's only opinion, this is less to do with Vegas than it is to do with Apple's QuickTime player for Windows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
prores/qt works fine in edius 8wg, also mixing different codecs and resolutions has been problem free so far for me, I always work with the native files.
Thanks Noa.

That suggests that Canopus / Grass Valley are connecting up with QT-Windows better than Sony.

I wonder how well ProRes/QT works in Catalyst?
Old February 22nd, 2016, 07:44 AM   #22
Major Player

I've been using Pro Rez with Vegas Pro 12 for a little over a year now. I bought an Atomos Ninja I that only records Pro Rez to get some longevity out of my Sony. I've had no problems. I record in the LT mode because I don't need more than that. The only issue that seems to come up is it looks like the blacks are crushed a little.
David Stoneburner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...