DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Pro 12 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/510893-vegas-pro-12-a.html)

Robin Davies-Rollinson September 23rd, 2012 07:41 AM

Vegas Pro 12

Has anyone heard if v12 will be 64 bit only? I didn't really want to have to upgrade my PC just yet...

Mike Kujbida September 23rd, 2012 09:17 AM

Re: Vegas Pro 12

All we know so far is what Sony said in the IBC press release.
https://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro12cs

Graham Bernard September 23rd, 2012 10:06 AM

Robin look at the Video: 2:02 "64-bit Exclusively", kinda unequivocal right there!

G

Robin Davies-Rollinson September 23rd, 2012 10:11 AM

Thanks Graham...

Randall Leong September 23rd, 2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Davies-Rollinson (Post 1754807)
Has anyone heard if v12 will be 64 bit only? I didn't really want to have to upgrade my PC just yet...

Are you still running an old Pentium 4 or older CPU that's not 64-bit capable? Or is your hardware 64-bit capable but you're still running a 32-bit OS?

In either case, Vegas Pro 12 will be 64-bit only. No 32-bit support for the forthcoming version. And once the last 32-bit version of Vegas Pro gets its further support discontinued, you'll be stuck with cheapo consumer NLEs such as Vegas Movie Studio.

Mike Kujbida September 23rd, 2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham Bernard (Post 1754828)
Robin look at the Video: 2:02 "64-bit Exclusively", kinda unequivocal right there!

G

Thanks Grazie. I completely missed that :(

Sean Seah September 23rd, 2012 10:50 AM

Yes it seems to be 64bit only. All I can say now is it is definately worth the upgrade =) BMCC + Vegas + Resolve...

Chris Barcellos September 23rd, 2012 02:09 PM

Wish I had my ordered BMCC to concur with rest Sean's post, but I do think upgrade is going to add a lot of benefit. I can confirm it is 64bit only in Beta version at least.

Graham Bernard September 25th, 2012 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida (Post 1754836)
Thanks Grazie. I completely missed that :(

Yeah, I'm not surprised, it lasts for a split second on the screen.

Grazie

Bill Koehler September 25th, 2012 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randall Leong (Post 1754830)
...And once the last 32-bit version of Vegas Pro gets its further support discontinued, you'll be stuck with cheapo consumer NLEs such as Vegas Movie Studio.

Given Vegas Movie Studio and Vegas Pro share the same code base, I would bet dollars to donuts that 32 bit support will get dropped even in Movie Studio. For some time now the default OS installation on a new PC has been Windows7x64, so it's easy for me to understand that's where software suppliers are headed.

Dennis Vogel October 3rd, 2012 11:18 AM

Has anyone upgraded to Vegas Pro 12? What are your experiences so far?

D

Chris Barcellos October 3rd, 2012 01:33 PM

I Beta tested and have now upgraded. Remember it is 64 bit only. In Beta testing three different versions, there were little bugs that the next version resolved.

My favorite aspect of this one so far is color match. You can take the look off of about any photo in the world and apply it to your footage and get a consistent look.

I did one major project in beta, and used compositing, masking, Cineform files, and other FX, and no major problems.

John Estcourt October 3rd, 2012 02:00 PM

using vegas 12 with a gtx 560 ti (448 core) running fine including newblue titler pro.

Steve Game October 3rd, 2012 04:47 PM

I upgraded from VP10 on Sunday.No problems so far. Not sure about the dialog box for codec choice in 'render as' which has changeed from 10, but DNxHD and Cineform codecs are both fully functional now. Haven't installed the New Blue stuff yet as I will be upgrading the Edit Workstation soon with CUDA GPU and SSD for widows and programs.

Graham Bernard October 4th, 2012 01:11 AM

Yeah, the Render As dialogue "skewed" me for a bit. But now when I need to access VP10, and do a Render As I miss the new (actually present in VP11 too . . I think?) that are now available in VP12.

Also the Thumbnails in VegasExplorer - a revelation!

Grazie

Leslie Wand October 4th, 2012 01:38 AM

12 with a gtx 550 ti / i7-920 / 16 ram running fine including newblue titler pro.

Dennis Vogel October 4th, 2012 01:48 PM

Thanks, guys, for the comments.

One more question: has anyone downloaded the latest preview version of Windows 8 yet and used Vegas Pro 12 (or even 11) with it? Everything seems to be coming at once!

D

Renton Maclachlan October 5th, 2012 02:11 AM

Just installed V12 no trouble. Downloaded New Blue TitlerPro but it wouldn't install...stuck at ...FrameProcessing.dll and subsequent files as I 'ignored' the ones it wouldn't/couldn't install.

Have the version of TitlerPro that came with Vegas 11 but have not used it...yet...

Edward Troxel October 5th, 2012 08:47 AM

Renton, if you had simply exited Vegas, it does not always "exit" all the way. Please reboot, install Titler Pro, and then start Vegas. I'm sure you'll see it installs fine after a reboot insuring Vegas is not running in the background.

Renton Maclachlan October 5th, 2012 01:59 PM

Thanks Edward...it worked. :-)

Appreciated

Paul A. Folger October 5th, 2012 07:58 PM

I'm in the same situation. I'll have to upgrade to a 64bit capable computer to use my favorite editing software - Vegas. Since Sound Forge has gone MAC hopefully Vegas isn't far behind.

Jaime Espiritu October 6th, 2012 08:37 AM

I was looking at my Vegas Pro 12 offer. They now have proxy editing. Since I have Vegas Pro 10, I needed Cineform Neoscene.

I was thinking of upgrading to Vegas Pro 12 just so I can have proxy editing capabilities. Has anyone used the proxy editing features yet?

Adam Letch October 7th, 2012 07:07 PM

I'm still surprised they have a useless fx like 'add noise', but don't have one for getting rid of video noise, guess 3rd parties are still the saviour....

Jeff Harper October 8th, 2012 10:38 AM

Jaime, I'm curious about the proxie thing also: how it works, how large the files are, does it work well, etc.

I might just install the download and try it out and see what happens, but I'm so busy right now I'd like to hear about it first if possible.

Andrew Clark October 8th, 2012 06:46 PM

Archiving?! Has any body done this yet?

I read on the Vegas Pro 12 page that ....

....."HDCAM SR™ encoding is now available in Vegas Pro 12, for extremely high-quality mastering and archiving".....

FCPX has the ability to create an archive of tape based media. It basically is just a straight copy (no compression) to the HDD.

Would the HDCAM SR encoding be any more beneficial for archiving purposes?

Graham Bernard October 10th, 2012 12:29 AM

Edward, thanks for your patient assistance with me. OFX NewBlue TitlerPro is work perfectly.

There've been some major imrpovs - yes?

Grazie

Edward Troxel October 10th, 2012 09:26 AM

The latest version 1 of Titler Pro definitely has stability/usability improvements. The options version 2 of Titler Pro available when purchasing Vegas Pro 12 has the following new features:

• Custom 3D Bevels – Create a unique bevel on any style layer to maximize 3D impact
• Wide angle – Adjust the camera lens of the scene for extreme or subtle perspective
• Video as texture – Apply video as a texture to any style layer or shape for dynamic compositions
• Custom texture position – Now adjust the position, scale and size of any image or video texture
• True motion blur – Output smooth, realistic motion titles at the time of render
• Multiple light sources – Create the perfect mood and space for your titles with lighting control
• Light Keyframing – Manipulate three different kinds of lights in space with keyframes
• Material shine control – Dial in the perfect amount of surface shine for each style layer
• New multi-point shape – Design stars, bursts and radial objects with this new vector shape
• EPS file support – Import vector files and extrude them for 3D logos and custom objects
• Text-to-text transitions - Now use any NewBlue transition to morph one text into another using transitions between paragraphs

Steven Thorsen October 11th, 2012 01:27 PM

I've seen several posts about Vegas 12 crashing or freezing when trying to Newbluefx Titler Pro included with version 12. I, too, had the same problem. But when I updated my Nvidia display driver, the problem went away. It works now.

Edward Troxel October 11th, 2012 01:43 PM

Yes, it certainly helps to have an up-to-date video driver.

Jeff Harper October 11th, 2012 01:49 PM

Ed, would you say so far that 12 has been among the most trouble free of the uprades since ver 7? I am seeing so few complaints, aside from NewBlue stuff, which I'm not counting.

I do not see the usual yelling and screaming about it I have with previous new releases.

Edward Troxel October 12th, 2012 08:58 AM

Jeff, it has been working for me. I can't say I've really pushed it that hard, though. I did notice last night that it didn't preview on my external monitor via a DV/Firewire connection. Pro 9 does fine on that machine and I didn't double-click 10 or 11 last night.

I'm still not sure why people are vilifying Titler Pro. It's working on the majority of systems. On the ones where it is not, we're trying to find the conflicts. I can't tell you how many times someone has reported a crashing issue, we had them upgrade their video driver, and suddenly all is now fine. I've heard of another case where someone was using a tablet input device. Disabling that driver allowed Titler Pro to then work. There's also been a couple of cases where it worked fine when the Titler dialog was on the main monitor but not on a secondary monitor. So, yes, I know some people are having issues but also know they are becoming fewer and fewer. And in those cases, I'm sure it's directly related to something in their system setup - it's just a matter of searching and searching until the conflict is found.

Jeff Harper October 12th, 2012 09:34 AM

Thanks Ed. It looks like a very nice upgrade. Can't use it now, but will buy it for sure. I always do.

Nicholas de Kock October 12th, 2012 11:03 AM

Jeff the trail I'm running seems to crash just as much as 11 (every few minutes), not sure if I'm going to upgrade still making up my mind.

Jeff Harper October 12th, 2012 11:36 AM

Nicholas, 11 has been 100% stable for me since the next to last update, before it was not stable.

Recently I changed my RAM timings and then Vegas began crashing a LOT. I changed my timing back, and now it's fine.

Edward Troxel October 12th, 2012 11:47 AM

I honestly believe a lot of people having issues with Vegas and/or the NewBlue GPU Accelerated products are having system specific issues. Changing the RAM timings could definitely affect it.

Jeff Harper October 12th, 2012 01:29 PM

What's funny about my settings was that I have expensive memory known to work at 9-9-9-27, which are the timings that gave me issues. I was previously at a conservative setting of 10-10-10-30 and had just forgotten to adjust to the faster, normal speed after I had installed the RAM.

9-9-9-27 shouldn't have, in my feeble mind, caused crash issues with Vegas, but apparently it did. It's not a big deal, the slower timing is unimportant and does not matter to me, Just a quirky thing I think.

Nicholas de Kock October 12th, 2012 02:26 PM

Not sure what the problem is Jeff, I save all the time every other minute, crashing is normal to me I've given up trying to find an answer. The latest update on Vegas 11 helped considerably but still not stable. When grading with curves I experience a lot of instability but it's mostly random hard to pin point. The only thing I still do in Vegas is edit, I render to Cineform and do my transcoding and mastering in Adobe. As soon as Adobe Premiere adopts a free roaming timeline similar to Vegas (which I hope will happen one day) I'll switch. These days I even master my audio in Adobe Audition, much more powerful of the bat & Encore kicks DVD Architect ass.

Jeff Harper October 12th, 2012 02:31 PM

Encore is a superior DVD authoring tool, very nice product.

Tom Roper October 12th, 2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicholas de Kock (Post 1758302)
Not sure what the problem is Jeff, I save all the time every other minute, crashing is normal to me I've given up trying to find an answer. The latest update on Vegas 11 helped considerably but still not stable. When grading with curves I experience a lot of instability but it's mostly random hard to pin point.

Me too. Grading with curves, but also color corrector, brightness and contrast and others. It's actually easy to pinpoint, Vegas.

Buba Kastorski October 15th, 2012 07:02 AM

i tried to open in V12 fairly complicated project saved in vegas 11, multiple audio and video tracks, but version 12 opened it as a single audio and single video track with one continues video and audio event,
how do i keep the project structure from version to version?