mouse hesitation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 19th, 2012, 03:11 AM   #1
Trustee

mouse hesitation

I'm editing a major project and I have been have a great deal of frustration through my mouse hesitating, and at times having the computer hestitate also - a button will be depressed but will not activate for seconds (not sure about this one but sometimes it seems the button activates when the mouse is moved.) This is driving me bananas...makes me want to throw the mouse across the room or smash it so hard on the desk it dies! I have Win 7 and wireless mouse and keyboard. Keyboard and Shuttle don't seem to be affected...

Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen, and if so, was the issue resolved (what was the issue?) and how.

A similar thing is happening on my second computer but more a jerkiness in that case...

This issue has not always been here...
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 03:27 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: mouse hesitation

to rule out any other problems, have you tried connecting a mouse that has a usb cable? If that works ok then I guess the problem is with your wireless mouse.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 03:39 AM   #3
Trustee

Man...I don't think I have any usb cable mice! Ps2 and the other sort (serial port?) - in boxes of old technology which should be chucked - but no usb...:-(
Old December 19th, 2012, 11:16 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Renton,
I have been having the same problem with my MS wireless mouse. (I originally had an off brand, and figured that a real MS mouse would fix the problem. No dice.) You don't mention it, but I assume that this is not just in Vegas. For me it is a Windows 7 thing. Hardwired mice seem to work ok. I have looked for a fix, but so far have come up empty.

Regards,
Jerry
Jerry Jesion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2012, 12:02 PM   #5
Trustee

It is not just Vegas. My mouse is a MS one. On my second PC it a Logitech...I think I will try a corded mouse.

On searching the web it seems like Win 7 has some mouse issues...
Old December 19th, 2012, 01:37 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Have you done a complete restart of your editing computer recently? Sleep and hibernate don't count...

Sorry if this seems too basic, but I've run into quite a few people who don't restart their computer until a software update forces them to... or it crashes :-(
Old December 19th, 2012, 11:03 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan View Post
It is not just Vegas. My mouse is a MS one. On my second PC it a Logitech...I think I will try a corded mouse.

On searching the web it seems like Win 7 has some mouse issues...
I haven't seen this happen since XP days. One thing you could try is to disconnect and uninstall your mouse. Shut down then plug mouse back in, restart and windoz should see the mouse and do a fresh install as the mouse is a plug n' play (plug and pray!) item.

Failing that try the following suggestions listed in the link below but when you get to the point of entering the buffer size try putting in '200'.

Change your mouse buffer and keyboard buffer

The above tip also helped me back in the days of editing with Discreet's Edit*.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 04:40 AM   #8
Trustee

Thanks guys. I have both rebooted and removed and replaced the wireless usb transmitter and it appears at this stage anyway, that the jerky mouse issue has gone from my number 2 computer...though maybe it's too early to say. I haven't yet worked on my project in Vegas on computer 1 to see if there has been a change there also...

Hoping this is really the solution...will update on this after more time has passed...
Old December 20th, 2012, 09:05 AM   #9
Regular Crew

All,
I have tried just about everything except re-installing windows. Nothing seemed to help. I guess that I should give up and go to a corded mouse.

Regards,
Jerry
Jerry Jesion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 11:04 AM   #10
Trustee

Are you sure there is not a background operation happening, Windows backup for example? I use a Logitech cordless mouse with no problems, but occasionally if the distance from the receiver gets too much, it can act up so rf interference is something to watch for.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 01:57 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
Are you sure there is not a background operation happening, Windows backup for example? I use a Logitech cordless mouse with no problems, but occasionally if the distance from the receiver gets too much, it can act up so rf interference is something to watch for.
The fact that a similar (though different) thing has been happening on two different computers, when it never used to happen, seems odd.
Old December 20th, 2012, 06:09 PM   #12
Inner Circle

The mouse on my computer sticks all the time. Googling for this issue happening on Windows 7 seems to indicate that it's not that unusual. When it totally freezes I have to disconnect and reconnect the mouse USB.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 06:52 PM   #13
Trustee

Well...so far...it appears the problem is solved...haven't yet done much on my Vegas computer but on neither computer so far has any mouse hesitation occurred...great...hope it long continues...thanks for the suggestions...I suspect it was the reinstalling the mouse that did it...
Old January 14th, 2013, 09:49 AM   #14
Inner Circle

I used a Microsoft mouse from by old computer, instead of the current Dell one. It automatically did a quick install of its software and the sticking is gone. I can't tell if the mouse needed replacing or the the dell software had an issue, probably the mouse itself.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...