HCX900M/Filter questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 8th, 2013, 05:32 PM   #1
Tourist

HCX900M/Filter questions

Shot my first test footage just as it comes out of the box. Rendered it in Vegas Pro 10 and burned it with Arch Pro 5.2. Over all I am pleased with it. Shot some footage in the family room with low light and it was a little grainy but I can live with that. The out doors footage was in dull winter sun and with the sun at my back. The rendered footage (BluRay format, BluRay disc, BluRay player) showed some wide verticle bands of light shading. It was only apparent from the top of the screen down (just on the light blue sky). This footage was of a light house in the distance with water in the forefront.

Question: Any idea what caused that?
Should I purchase a polarized filter?
Should I purchase just a UV filter?
Am I asking about the wrong type of filters?

Thanks for any guidance.

Bob
Robert Moyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2013, 11:32 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: HCX900M/Filter questions

Hi Robert,
Have you checked to see if the banding is in the original footage when played from the cam to the TV?
Old January 9th, 2013, 12:17 PM   #3
Tourist

No I haven't tried that. I will add that during any panning motion the banding is apparent also. Almost as if something was on the actual lense. I have subsequently shot more footage on a bright winter day in my back yard and rendered and burned it to BluRay. On this footage, there was no banding at all even on the sections of sky that I picked up. The trouble clips were all shot with water in the foreground and I thought that maybe it was some sort of glare that the camera picked up. I am going to order a UV filter and try that. Thanks for taking the time to help.

Bob
Old January 9th, 2013, 03:22 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Banding on color gradations happens most often when the encoder drops information during compression, usually due to too much detail/change between frames.

That there is water in the foreground is telling, because moving water is highly detailed, changes a lot between frames, and will stress a codec's ability to render the scene accurately.

As Gerald suggested, in this case direct playback from the cam to a large display should tell the story. A UV or Pola filter is unlikely to help. OTOH, if the direct playback looks good, the compression that DVDA is doing may be causing this problem.

In either case, if this banding is unacceptable you need a higher bitrate or a simpler scene.
Old January 10th, 2013, 10:33 AM   #5
Tourist

Seth,
You mentioned that footage over 'moving' water is telling. I should add that it was shot from a pier on a windy day with very active waves and whitecaps. I have since rerendeered in Vegas and increased the bitrate and most of the banding has been solved. Thank you for the response and advice. I appreciate all of the help.

Bob
Old January 13th, 2013, 11:39 AM   #6
Tourist

As a follow-up, I must add that the HD TV is a Sony Bravia XBR9 x 52 inch. This whole issue has driven me nuts as the dark streaks show up on the FIOS connection (at first unnoticed) and also on the Blu-ray disc and Blu-ray player. The TV is exactly 3 years old. Upon further investigation, I have found that this is an issue with the Sony brand TV. Naturally, not everyone is experiencing this, but it is a known issue on the Sony e-support forums. Thank you for your advice and I just wanted everyone to know the outcome. I seriously doubt if Sony will do anything about this but I will send them the information.

Bob

Last edited by Robert Moyer; January 13th, 2013 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Incorrect model number
Robert Moyer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...