Timelapse in Sony Vegas Pro 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 18th, 2013, 02:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Timelapse in Sony Vegas Pro 10

Hi guys,
I need some experienced advice on setting up and importing Canon RAW still images to create a time-lapse in Sony Vegas Pro 10.

1. I'm running the 64 bit version of Sony Vegas Pro 10
2. DSLR images all shot as RAW- 1300 still image sequence- I can import the RAW, but playback is slow...
3. Vegas seems to handle JPEGs better than RAW sequence

Any suggestions or tips and tricks on the Post processing with Sony Vegas pro?

Thanks
Old February 18th, 2013, 03:24 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Timelapse in Sony Vegas Pro 10

You can use Canon's Digital Photo Professional (software provided with the camera) to convert the RAW images to TIFF files. Select the photos, click the Batch Process button, when the menu opens up, select file conversion type (TIFF) and set the resize options to match your project resolution. I was just using this yesterday for a SD project and the file size went from 25MB/photo to 2MB. If you plan to pan across your images as the movie plays, then you'd want to keep the images larger so you don't lose quality when cropping down in Vegas.
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2013, 07:36 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Mark's workflow advice is spot on. That's exactly what I do, only I use the excellent and free IrfanView for all my still photo batch operations. At this moment I'm not remembering whether I went out to jpg or png, probably png, at full photo resolution.
Old February 18th, 2013, 08:47 PM   #4
Major Player

While (whilst?) we're talking about still photos, let me make a shameless plug for a free program that I had to turn to while my primary editing laptop is in for repairs... It's a free program called GIMP. It includes editing with layers and is quite a nice program for the price.

GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2013, 12:19 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I tried the Canon DPP with Jpeg and Tiff. I'll try LightRoom.

Much thanks!

T

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...