Render video CRASH problem! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 24th, 2013, 06:05 AM   #31
Old Boot

Re: Render video CRASH problem!

Oh you might want to have a CPU Temperature s/w running to keep a weather eye out on just how HOT your pc is running. Here's one I've been using for nearly a month now, and it's Fabo!

One ios the parent s/w and the other is a W7 Gadget that works with the parent given you real time graphs. All this stuff allows us to keep an eye on that rendering process.
Attached Images

Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 06:11 AM   #32
Trustee

Cheers for that, i'll download those apps.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 07:40 AM   #33
Trustee

Just to confirm.

I have rendered a 30min project and another 50min project today.

Both have worked flawlessly with no errors. As a matter of fact, I was even still using Firefox for a bit while the rendering was going on during the 50min run.
Old March 25th, 2013, 09:02 AM   #34
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Manford View Post
As a matter of fact, I was even still using Firefox for a bit while the rendering was going on during the 50min run.
And James, that's what you should be able to do too. Try pushing more and getting multiple renders going on.

Very glad you have things working again.

Cheers

Grazie
Old March 25th, 2013, 11:34 AM   #35
Major Player

Graham, I'm just wondering if you make use of the nested projects facility at all?

I can render single projects to DVD in well under the run time of the show but as soon as I start nesting it can slow to a crawl.

Not sure whether I should be running tests.

Typically a show will comprise 5 or 6 projects nested, which I guess is like running Vegas 5 or 6 multiple times.

Some of these constituent parts make heavy use of PNG stills (suitably pre-shrunk). I do very few stills effects but there is always a 2 sec transition between each and in parts I may have 2 or 3 different stills fading in then out e.g. left centre right all portrait aspect stills appearing one after the other on the same screen as it were. That sort of thing seems to cripple Vegas and I can see the frame counter just about ticking over.

But a single unnested project comprising video footage only will race through the render even though it might comprise 1080 50p files from 3 different cams, plus 1080 25p AVIs converted in Cineform from a GoPro, and several audio files.

Once upon a time I could use acceleration but sadly no more.

v12 build 486 with Windows 8 64bit, i7 950 3.07GHz (not overclocked), 12gb ram, GTX570 card.

A show I did yesterday comprises 50 minutes from 5 nested parts. Two parts are stills only, two parts video only and one part (short) a mix of stills and video. Rendering to MP4 vbr 2 pass took nearly 10 hours.

I too use Core Temp and there is no overheating. No fluff either :- ) Cooling fan is decent.

Cheers.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 11:48 AM   #36
Old Boot

Pete, what's your question?

G
Old March 25th, 2013, 01:43 PM   #37
Major Player

Do you use Nesting? And if so do you expect to find it much slower than having one big project? My stills component parts are in my case suspects but nesting is not a subject I find gets very much coverage on the various forums.

BTW I installed the latest Nvidia driver today (314.22) and switched acceleration back on (v12 b486, W8 64bit). So far so good with a 2 pass vbr MP4 render, its almost half way through without ...... well I'm not going to tempt fate :- )

Pete
Old March 25th, 2013, 02:17 PM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
Just to confirm.

I have rendered a 30min project and another 50min project today.

Both have worked flawlessly with no errors. As a matter of fact, I was even still using Firefox for a bit while the rendering was going on during the 50min run.
Happy for you James, I haven't been as fortunate this week as I'm still trying to get a render out of an older 4 minute project that I dropped new footage into. At first Vegas crashed at the new 4K footage I added. Turned out it didn't like 4k in slo motion. Then it started freezing in the middle of old clips from my EX1r. Replacing some of those helped, but now it's freezing at the spot where the old footage was no matter what I replace it with. This is so remarkably frustrating. This isn't a video of my cats its a big project with a 6 figure paycheck that's stuck in limbo so I'm obviously pissed. Not looking for help as with enough time spent I'm sure I'll figure it out, just need to vent. After using nothing but Vegas for the past 9 years anything important from here on is going to have to be done on something else.
Duane Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 02:38 PM   #39
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Adam View Post
Happy for you James, I haven't been as fortunate this week as I'm still trying to get a render out of an older 4 minute project that I dropped new footage into. At first Vegas crashed at the new 4K footage I added. Turned out it didn't like 4k in slo motion. Then it started freezing in the middle of old clips from my EX1r. Replacing some of those helped, but now it's freezing at the spot where the old footage was no matter what I replace it with. This is so remarkably frustrating. This isn't a video of my cats its a big project with a 6 figure paycheck that's stuck in limbo so I'm obviously pissed. Not looking for help as with enough time spent I'm sure I'll figure it out, just need to vent. After using nothing but Vegas for the past 9 years anything important from here on is going to have to be done on something else.
Cheers Duane, im also relieved, especially as I have a back to back wedding coming up which I plan to complete and hand back to the client within a week. I can finally not have to stress about rendering issues and just get on with my creativity. Im sure Vegas will work just fine when you find the solution! I think you need someone experienced with 4K files to give you a step by step on how it worked for them just like Grazie (Graham) did with me.

I can feel your pain especially as it's for paid work.

It's very easy to forget with all these new cameras and resolutions coming out on a regular basis, your machine also needs to be up to the task to edit !
Old March 25th, 2013, 02:48 PM   #40
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Bernard View Post
And James, that's what you should be able to do too. Try pushing more and getting multiple renders going on.

Very glad you have things working again.

Cheers

Grazie
I never dared open a browser, let alone do multiple renders.

As a matter of fact, this is the first time I raised the issue about rendering or for the past 2 years I have just tolerated it, like it was normal !!

Wish I mentioned the problem sooner!

Thanks again.
Old March 25th, 2013, 03:15 PM   #41
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Riding View Post
Do you use Nesting? And if so do you expect to find it much slower than having one big project?
I Nest! They are great things to have to be able to make simple that which was/is getting crazy . . . .

I don't know WHAT the internal mechanics of the Nest are other than what "we" see is only a scratch proxy file of that other VEG. So, what this means is that when you/we come to render the Parent VEG, whatever is lurking within that Nest needs to be rendered out too. Soooo..... If there are a lot of things going on for that Nest then that will take more time than a Nest that points to a simple Nest Veg - yeah?

Consequently and without trying to "duck" your question, it really does depend on just how complex the Nested VEG is - yeah?

Cheers

Grazie
Old March 25th, 2013, 03:23 PM   #42
Old Boot

Quote:
Wish I mentioned the problem sooner!
Yeah, that's not me! - If it hurts, I ask. If it don't quack like a duck . . it ain't a duck! I may have gathered notoriety as a PITA, but I can't abide with putting up with this stuff if it doesn't perform. If it is broke, then let me know and let's move on and/or tell SCS. If I don't understand I ask . . . and I keep on asking!

James, that's very honest of you to say :"Wish I mentioned the problem sooner!" - It's this awareness/knowledge that makes me keep going.

Cheers

Grazie
Old March 25th, 2013, 05:26 PM   #43
Major Player

Cheers Graham.

On a concrete note my render using acceleration that I mentioned earier completed! Yay :- )

Pete
Old March 31st, 2013, 05:39 AM   #44
Regular Crew

Quote:
Any one else getting this in Sony Vegas 12? You render your project in HD, and at the end of rendering once it reaches 100% Vegas decides to crash.
I got this yesterday, twice. Very frustrating after an hour's rendering!

My source footage is HDV 1440x1080 50i, and my project is set the same. There is some Sony Generated Media on the timeline also. I'm rendering to Main Concept .mp4, 1920x1080 25p because it's going to YouTube.

It renders fine in .wmv it seems and randomly will render OK in mp4 but in the latter will also crash just as you describe.

I've read suggestions on this thread but I don't think I'm really asking too much of Vegas as it stands...

Dave

Last edited by David Johns; March 31st, 2013 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Added codec
David Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 02:59 PM   #45
Trustee

Here's a trick I use for almost all renders when working with a timeline longer than a few minutes.

1. Render the entire project to AVI. It's uncompressed, therefore lossless, but you will need a lot of hard disk space. It's a quick render.

2. Take the new AVI file and place it in a new project. Then, render to whatever format you want. Using this two-step process can actually cut the total rendering time substantially. Also, since AVI is easy for Vegas to process, I have far less crashes.

When I'm done, I delete the AVI file to reclaim the use of my hard disk.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...