Render a project in small segments or ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old June 3rd, 2013, 02:57 PM   #1
Trustee

Render a project in small segments or ?

As the title really.

Wondering how people render large projects like a wedding film.

Once you've applied graded it. If the project is reaching around 60mins.

Do you split in to smaller segments and render OR DO YOU render the whole project at once ?

Any tips on the best way to do it ?

Because I use another piece of software to re-render the files from Vegas to create a blu ray / dvd with a custom menu, I just render out in small segments in Vegas of around 20mins or so each and then throw all these files back in the timeline in another piece of software to create my dvds/blurays.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2013, 04:32 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Render a project in small segments or ?

I prefer small sections because if it crashes, you got back to Square 1 each time. I think I use regions and then a batch render.
Old June 4th, 2013, 12:07 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi James

I always do my renders and edits by event so no clip would be longer than 20 minutes and most are much shorter. So I have individual clips for bridal prep, arrival, church service, vows etc etc

What I do is always start with a black title and end each event with a fade to black ...If you then compile those onto your DVD or BD the clips run without any issues but between each is a little fade to black and then the black title merges seamlessly ...It also allows the viewers brain to "reset" ...watching a non stop 2 hours of footage means a severe concentration wander after 15 minutes or less but by providing a tiny break between events means that viewers are way more alert as they are not watching a 2 hour epic but a series of short clips although there is no physical break, the brain sees it as a break.

As also posted it's MUCH easier to re-render a 6 minute clip if you find you have made an error instead of ploughing thru 2 hours of timeline and a huge re-render!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2013, 01:33 AM   #4
Major Player

I usually do similar, only I often have separate episodes around an hour long in much longer movie.
I use a few methods to renders be stable:
- I always use XDCAM format sources and final renders,
- I never use Smart Render because I use all source materials with at least 2-3 video filters,
- I never use GPU acceleration because I do not have the right GPU ;)
- short compositions, which require particulary a lot of video tracks, I insert by using the embeded projects in which the video is already prerendered on the upper track,
- I almost do not use third party video plug-ins except Neat Video and occasionally AAV Color Lab.
Short and easy films as weddings or live performances with length up to 1 or 2 hours I always render at once because viewers want to get it faster (and never had problems with rendering).
Juris Lielpeteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2013, 06:36 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Not sure why I would render in less than one piece, except for a separate menu item like the highlights. I render one clip, import into Vegas, and I'm essentially about done except for tweaking the menu.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2013, 06:54 AM   #6
Major Player

Why? Therefore, independent episodes gradually being filmed and assembled at least a year.
Juris Lielpeteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2013, 10:08 AM   #7
Trustee

Another question ... is it best to render using the GPU ... or CPU ???

My GPU is compatible with Vegas. And I have a i7 CPU.

I've always done it via GPU ... and haven't honestly tried using my CPU for some silly reason! (don't ask why!)
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2013, 11:49 AM   #8
Sponsor: JET DV

If you don't have any issues rendering with the GPU, use it. If you do, drop back to the CPU. Unless rendering with the CPU is faster than the GPU (which it shouldn't be but sometimes is).
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...